Why is everyone getting promoted but me?

c00ki312

Im only 20 and full time student but work weekends in retail. I've been working there for over 2 years and feel like Im going nowhere (even though it is only part-time). Two members of staff started a year after me and now have already moved up the ladder to supervisor. Then I found out in my staff meeting that the general manager has picked 7 more staff to train for supervisor. 5 of whom started a year or later after me.

That might not sound like a big problem, but the fact that those five come into work, clock in then disappear from tills during their shift makes me wonder HOW and WHY they were offered a higher position. I have thought about this position for a long time but never had the courage to ask to be given more responsibilty cuz the way I see it, if Ive not been praised for my work, I must be doing something bad! During those three days I work, I work my ass off! I volunteer for jobs other people refuse to do, I take on more shifts, I get on with staff and managers and customers have commented on my good customer service. I'm not trying to sound like a big-head but I know I work hard and managers see it, but still I get nothing...but the slackers who just chat and complain are moving up! lol I feel so down not motivated anymore...what should I do?

so anyway end of my rant, I'm a bit tired and kinda pissed. If anyone has words of wisdom, I would so appreciate it
greengrin.gif

makeupgal

Maybe because you are part time. But if that is not why, go in there and tell your boss the same things you mentioned in your post. In other words, mention that you are interested in a supervisor's role and why you would be great at it, i.e. you work hard, you get along with the staff, you seek out work when you are out of things too do. You get my drift. Maybe since you've never mentioned that you are interested, they assume that you don't want the position. Let them know what your goals are. HTH! and good luck. Let us know what happens.

c00ki312

only 3 of them are full time. the rest are part time. one of them even does saturdays only. I dont really see myself as a confident type so i dont have much confidence to go up to him and ask to let me on or at least give me some responsibility. maybe then its my fault, i dunno. but i just feel dis heartened by it all.

*KT*

Another guess here, but are the part-timers who are getting training to be promoted also students? I know sometimes companies are hesitant to put more training/money into employees who they know will leave once their schoolwork is done.