Why would you go to a makeup store and expect to see...

MAC_Pixie04

People wearing minimal makeup? lol I'll never understand this.

So for those who don't know, I work for Sephora. We're not as artistry based as a company as others, for example MAC. We're more education and client service based, so we're not required to wear heavy makeup, but we all love our jobs and we're passionate about makeup so duh, we wear it.

We recently launched an online client survey where we get feedback about what things clients like about our store and what things they would like to see changed, and one of the responses we recently got just about knocked me on my ass in laughter. I don't recall it verbatim but it went something like this.

I usually shop online, and after coming to your store, now I know why. I walked into your store and was greeted by a woman who looked like someone punched her in the eyes, but I realized it was her poorly applied makeup. I wish your makeup artists would look a little more refined and wear minimal, natural makeup so that they don't look so jarring to customers coming in. This is the main reason i've never let a makeup artist in your store help me, if they put too much makeup on their own faces, how can I trust them with mine? You ladies give great service and I love your products, but tone down your makeup just a little bit. If I wanted to look like a ponchy hooker, I'd go to a MAC counter

WTF does ponchy mean anyway? I distinctly remember reading that word, and I heard it once in The Devil Wears Prada (which is probably where she got it from) but I don't think it's real lol. And for the record, none of my colleagues nor I wear poorly applied makeup. Do we wear bolder looks to work? Of course! We SELL makeup. We apply makeup on our clients. We're basically advertising for ourselves. None of my girls look like hookers. In fact, my manager used to work for MAC and she thinks we don't wear ENOUGH makeup lol. Why would I buy neon green eyeshadow and purple liner if I didn't intend to wear it? And whose to say I'd grab a client and make her look just like me if she didn't ask for it? I'm artistic, I'm not stupid.

LOL It just made me laugh; why would you go into a makeup store and expect to see bare faced make up artists? It's boring! And we're in our 20s, so we need to wear the bold looks while we can still pull them off! LOL

BTW, we also get demographic information from our surveys, and this woman was between 55-60, so I definitely saw it coming, but it's still hilarious. I'm gonna go to the Body Shop and complain that the employees smell too clean.
th_LMAO.gif

Shimmer

I think because the average makeup user doesn't want to look like she's wearing a lot of makeup, but wants to wear 'nice' makeup. I'm one of those 'not wearing crazy makeup' people, but that's because it doesn't look good on me.
Lots of customers don't identify with the heavy makeup/liner/foundation look at all, unfortunately.

blindpassion

I think that makeup is an individual expression
and its up to you as a client to find a makeup artist that you identify with, if you so choose too.
but just as the client has their own style, so does the artist / employee.

Its important for people to be able to realize that just because a MA does their makeup one way, doesnt mean they aren't equally as talented doing a different type of makeup on a client.

MA's are diverse, thats what helps them do their job right.

My personal style is extreme, loud makeup. but its not cakey, or fake, or any of that. Its artistic expression that is done with skilled application. I choose to wear a lot of makeup in order to express my style. I appreciate MA's who push boundaries and wear bright and artistic makeup, they are the MA's that I flock too.

It just reminds us that once again, everyone has their opinions as well as style.
smiles.gif

Shimmer

It is important to realize that, but if the customer doesn't identify with the artist, for whatever reason, it hurts both the artist (in sales and clientele) and the customer (in product knowledge and satisfaction).
Not every customer (in fact, depending on the region of the country, the majority aren't) into theatrical makeup looks. They appreciate it...from the audience...but don't feel like it's their niche. It's intimidating to them, and more often than not, there's a very real (and quite possibly very substantiated) fear that the MUA isn't going to be able to meet the customer's needs.
Fantastic, heavy makeup like we have here on Specktra, it's amazing, it's gorgeous, etc., but for your average cosmetics customer, it's not the avenue they want to explore.

Korms

I kind of agree but don't agree with the points the lady was making.

I do like to see MA's at counters wearing make-up, it inspires me and obviously is a useful selling tool for them but, like the lady said, no one wants to see an MA with poorly applied make-up and unfortunately I see it more often than not at counters in the shopping centre where I live. As a result I've never asked those particular MA's for advice when making purchases.

So yeah, I'm not put off by MA's who wear bright neon, well applied make-up but if they've got foundation on that's 5 shades too dark for their skin (I see this a lot at counters) and look like they've drawn their eyebrows on with a marker pen then I stay well clear.

Simply Elegant

I agree with what everyone has said, but also, minimal makeup is another style and it's ok to like that too. And I've heard of ponchy referring to someone of a larger size especially someone with a bigger stomach, although I don't know why that would be mentioned.

blindpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
It is important to realize that, but if the customer doesn't identify with the artist, for whatever reason, it hurts both the artist (in sales and clientele) and the customer (in product knowledge and satisfaction).
Not every customer (in fact, depending on the region of the country, the majority aren't) into theatrical makeup looks. They appreciate it...from the audience...but don't feel like it's their niche. It's intimidating to them, and more often than not, there's a very real (and quite possibly very substantiated) fear that the MUA isn't going to be able to meet the customer's needs.
Fantastic, heavy makeup like we have here on Specktra, it's amazing, it's gorgeous, etc., but for your average cosmetics customer, it's not the avenue they want to explore.

Agreed completely. Like I said, its just one more example that everyone has an opinion and style and they should all be embraced.

purrtykitty

Lol! I can understand what that woman is saying, but I'm gathering that she's one of those extremely difficult and close-minded customers. If she were at all open-minded, then she would realize that the MAs in Sephora work there because they like makeup and, duh...they're gonna use the products they're selling, be it neon green eyeshadow or brown lipstick.

Plus, I doubt she's wandered anywhere near a MAC counter, because if she had, she'd fallen over dead after seeing the oodles of neutrals MAC offers.

shrsandra@yahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Pixie04
BTW, we also get demographic information from our surveys, and this woman was between 55-60, so I definitely saw it coming, but it's still hilarious. I'm gonna go to the Body Shop and complain that the employees smell too clean.
th_LMAO.gif

Well, I'm 57 and personally I like to see the makeup girls with makeup on. I enjoy wearing lots of makeup. Unfortunately, my eyes aren't looking as good as they used to when I was younger (kind of wrinkled now), but I do buy MAC makeup and makeup from Sephora. I love looking at the FOTD posts and the tutorials on Youtube and trying some of them out.

Sandy

OfficerJenny

Guys I wear blue and green eyeshadow and that means I'm gonna put blue and green eyeshadow on you when you asked for a plummy lipstick

Beauty Mark

I think Shimmer is on to it. There's a reason why Bobbie Brown and Clinique counter makeup artists look the way that they do, and MAC artists go their route. I think for many women, their goals are to look natural and a bit better.

I think the woman could've said something nicer than "hooker." I also think she should know that not every makeup artist applies makeup to people like they do to themselves.

abbyquack

I agree with the lady in one point, in that if you don't like a certain MAs makeup, you might not want them touching you, because you'll end up looking like them. That is valid advice, because although MOST artists realize that glitter/black eyes, etc, might not look so hot on an older woman, you never know- there are some horrible MAs in this world. Now, I hardly ever see anyone's makeup that I utterly detest, but at her age, she undoubtedly has a more discerning taste and isn't into the fun drastic looks like me. It's funny though, because even if she dislikes the looks, she should realize that Sephora's main image is youthful and bright- all of their ads (like the Holiday ones up now) are totally bright and crazy colors!

MAC_Pixie04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
I agree with what everyone has said, but also, minimal makeup is another style and it's ok to like that too. And I've heard of ponchy referring to someone of a larger size especially someone with a bigger stomach, although I don't know why that would be mentioned.

I'm hoping she used the word incorrectly, because it would be just plain rude to use it if she really knew what it meant. Thanks for that clarification; I thought she made it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
I think that makeup is an individual expression
and its up to you as a client to find a makeup artist that you identify with, if you so choose too.
but just as the client has their own style, so does the artist / employee.

Its important for people to be able to realize that just because a MA does their makeup one way, doesnt mean they aren't equally as talented doing a different type of makeup on a client.

MA's are diverse, thats what helps them do their job right.

My personal style is extreme, loud makeup. but its not cakey, or fake, or any of that. Its artistic expression that is done with skilled application. I choose to wear a lot of makeup in order to express my style. I appreciate MA's who push boundaries and wear bright and artistic makeup, they are the MA's that I flock too.

It just reminds us that once again, everyone has their opinions as well as style.
smiles.gif

That's exactly how I feel about it. I personally don't think we wear a lot of heavy makeup; there've been warnings to girls coming to work without having enough on. Our minimum requirement is one product on each area of the face, so the least you could get away with is some sort of complexion product, mascara and/or liner, and a light lip gloss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
Lol! I can understand what that woman is saying, but I'm gathering that she's one of those extremely difficult and close-minded customers. If she were at all open-minded, then she would realize that the MAs in Sephora work there because they like makeup and, duh...they're gonna use the products they're selling, be it neon green eyeshadow or brown lipstick.

Plus, I doubt she's wandered anywhere near a MAC counter, because if she had, she'd fallen over dead after seeing the oodles of neutrals MAC offers.

I just think it's unfair to assume that because we wear our makeup a certain way and you wear yours a certain way that we'll try to "convert" you. There's no way in hell I would take a client who never wore makeup a day in her life and put something really heavy on her because I know 100% she's not going to like it because she'll be uncomfortable. I get what the woman was trying to say but her comments were semi-insulting. It's a good thing she didn't go to MAC that day, they were having an event and there was glitter and neon lipstick all over that joint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrsandra@yahoo
Well, I'm 57 and personally I like to see the makeup girls with makeup on. I enjoy wearing lots of makeup. Unfortunately, my eyes aren't looking as good as they used to when I was younger (kind of wrinkled now), but I do buy MAC makeup and makeup from Sephora. I love looking at the FOTD posts and the tutorials on Youtube and trying some of them out.

Sandy

Which is a fantastic perspective to have; you're obviously very comfortable and familiar with what flatters you (I wish a lot of my clients were more like you
winks.gif
)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyquack
I agree with the lady in one point, in that if you don't like a certain MAs makeup, you might not want them touching you, because you'll end up looking like them. That is valid advice, because although MOST artists realize that glitter/black eyes, etc, might not look so hot on an older woman, you never know- there are some horrible MAs in this world. Now, I hardly ever see anyone's makeup that I utterly detest, but at her age, she undoubtedly has a more discerning taste and isn't into the fun drastic looks like me. It's funny though, because even if she dislikes the looks, she should realize that Sephora's main image is youthful and bright- all of their ads (like the Holiday ones up now) are totally bright and crazy colors!

I guess for me it's like she's judging a book by its cover. She's negating the fact that we're extremely well-trained on the products that we sell, and would be 150% accomodating to what she was looking for, we don't work on commission so we have no need to push products on her that she won't like. And she's choosing to use the fact that we are more artistic with our makeup and choose to use more noticeable colors to make it seem like we're sloppy. It degrades the entire store to say that we look like hookers and we apply our makeup poorly, because that's just her opinion and has nothing to do with the quality of our products or our professionalism.

I can see it from her point of view; I just think her comments were huge exaggerations and borderline rude. I'd never look at her and decide I didn't want to help her because of how she looked, and if she didn't want her makeup done the way mine was done, I would never do it. That would be like me going to another counter and seeing minimal makeup on an MA and saying "What a prude; she can't help me."

Esme

Ponchy means fat, with a fat stomach. I think it is spelled paunchy, having a paunch.

meanjeanster

while I can sorta understand why this complaining rude woman feels the need to complain because she's so closed minded that someone with a bold eye look scares her. wooo... haha, I think it's ridiculous to imply that because a MA is wearing heavy eyeshadow that they'd try to get you to buy or wear the same.

I love MAC and Sephora and I've been helped many times at both stores with women wearing heavy eye makeup and glitter and very VERY rarely did they try to push a bold color on me when I made it clear I wanted something more subdued.

The woman complaining is a nitwit. Going to a makeup store implies you're going to encounter women with....GASP....MAKEUP ON!! OMG! Lol

Honey, you're not alone here. I think the woman who complained needs to lighten the eff up!
th_LMAO.gif

Mabelle

Wow, that was pretty rude! If i wanted my opinion to be taken seriously i certain would have phrased it in a nicer way!
I suppose i can understand that a woman in her 50's wants to have more of a natural look, i would also think she would be smart enough to know that just because an SA is wearing something bold doesnt mean she's incompetent.
I dont think its right to make it a rule that sa's wear more minimal makeup. I mean, you sell a brand like UD or MUFE, thats their thing! bright and bold! You cant tell an employee to sell it but not wear it!
If shes so terrified of bold looks head on over to clinique. Stay away from the color! It might bite!

COBI

I know for me, there is a big difference between bold makeup and poorly applied bold makeup.

In honesty, we don't really know which this women was necessarily exposed to as I have seen both at the three Sephoras that I have been to. And I would be absolutely turned off by poorly applied making trying to be "bold". Even bold makeup that is well-applied enhances beauty... you are drawn to it even if you wouldn't wear it.

IMHO, bold colors just for the sake of it (versus being well-thought out and applied) don't do any justice for the MA, the store or the makeup line.

banjobama

Give me a break! It was "jarring" to come into the store and see someone with makeup on? This lady could have worded her whole letter a lot better. And it is very ignorant to assume that just because someone is wearing a lot of makeup she wants everyone else to look the same. Then again, my philosophy is, if I wanted to look natural I wouldn't wear makeup.

FYI from merriamwebster.com:

paunch: 1 a: the belly and its contents b: potbelly

She called you fat.

florabundance

Her feedback would be valid, but i don't really understand her complaint. She cusses down the make up of the workers, then says they are lovely and give great service. O to the K then....

Lauren1981

what a bitch

i won't lie. i went to sephora once and was helped by this super nice chick who had super bad skin. i mean, i kinda toned her out and was thinking of the vast array of product she could be using to help herself out BUT i understand acne is not something to easily get rid of so maybe she's trying but the pounds of makeup she put on top of it made it look like she had ashy acne but it never made me think "omg sephora is such a f'd up company for hiring this girl with acne. omg i will never let her do my face".... wtf??!!

ANYWHO

what the MA's wear is their business. i have never had an incident where an MA did my makeup the same way as hers regardless of what i told her i wanted. this lady is trippin. if she want's the sheer look then maybe she should try another line (i.e. clinique). the attacks on the companies were uncalled for and ridiculous. then she says "this is the main reasons i've never let you guys do my face"...... bitch if there's such a problem then why do you keep coming back??!! i mean, the girl i saw with the acne problem had no effect on what i came to sephora for. i got my primer, some shadows and bounced. it didn't ruin my day tho!

geez!!

and MAC steps out of the box. they're known for that type of artistry but that doesn't mean they aren't versatile. my mom LOVES natural looks and i've seen a couple of MA's @ MAC do a very good natural look for her. the makeup they had on wasn't a natural look but who gives a shit?! it had nothing to do with how they did my moms face or anyone elses for that matter.

that lady needs a fucking hug.............