Working as a MAC freelance artist VS. a part time artist

5FootTwo

Hi guys! I just joined today and Im uber excited to start chatting with you guys. =)
Anywho, Im going to a MAC career call here in MI and Im super nervous. I've read some other threads about the pay range, interview process, etc. What I want to know is what determines if they hire you as a freelance/on-call vs a part timer? If I am hired I want to work as a part time artist. I am already working at Sephora so I do have experience in retail cosmetics and I have tons of customer service experience. As much love and respect that I have for MAC I dont want to leave Sephora for an on-call position. If it was just me I would, but I do have a mouth to feed (my daughter) so the money I make is a factor in my employment. Can someone who was offered a part time or freelance position tell me about their experience?

paparazziboy

you can't work for sephora and freelance for MAC its a conflict of interest. freelancers and on call postions are given to those who mac see's has the potential of becoming a MAC artist. so if hired as so its basically like your interviewing again so to speak. you work at the counters and the artist give feedback to the management about how you are how you work your sales etc.. this kinda determines if you get called again. there is no training for a freelancer/ on call your expected to sink or swim. you have to figure it out on your own. permanent part-time artist positions are hard to come by because when that position opens up it opens up to everyone already working for MAC, MAC send out listings of every open position that its current employees can apply for so you would be competing with current MAC artist and freelance/on call artist for a permeant spot.

5FootTwo

Thanks for the info and yeah I know I can't do both due to conflict of interest. I just don't want to leave a job where I have good hours to be on-call. How often do freelance artist become part time?

paparazziboy

one can never know because once you work for mac you rarely leave because mac treats us so well. so positions really are a dime a dozen. also when you're a freelance/on call if there is no hours allotted to for freelance/ on call then you dont work each location is given a certain amount of hours if any at all and every freelancer/ on call is fighting for those hours so you're not guaranteed to work at all you could work once in a 6 month time span put it that way

5FootTwo

Wow thats awesome that MAC's employees are so loyal. But yeah that's why Im not as interested in a freelance position. Hopefully they're looking to fill one and choose me for it.

paparazziboy

that is a possibility i will tell you in my experience i was hired september 8th 2010 and didn't start till october 28th paper work takes forever with mac

paparazziboy

it honestly has it ups and downs. trust me its very cut throat. i can honestly say im not happy right now but that could change soon. its really depends where you work and who you work with

5FootTwo

Well that sucks =( and yeah a lot of your experiences at any store can definately depend on your co-workers.Is it true that they fire you if you miss your sales goal 3 times? That's a bit harsh...

nerva12

I have an interview on friday for part time because thats what i applied for? is their a change they will offer me freelance instead. I want part time because i want my hours to be guranteed.

Chrystia

It is possible they will ask you about Freelance. Sometimes its the availability, experience etc. We've offered freelance to artists we've interviewed for permanent before just to see how they do before going permanent. Just be honest with the managers, let them know you would prefer to be considered for permanent part time and whether you are willing or not willing to start on freelance if that is what they pushing for.