Working as an MUA?

rockin26

As a freelancer I charge $80 per face regardless of what it's for. Some MUA's charge more for the bride, less at trials etc I just see it as being the same amount of work regardless. I only charge a travel fee if I have to go really far from home like over 30klms each way.

simplyenchantin

My mum got her make up done for my brother's wedding, but it wasn't "bridal make up" and it cost $70
smiles.gif

xLongLashesx

I had some girls come into work yesterday, they had their mu done at inglot for $80 and OMG... Terrible. It wasn't even blended!

simplyenchantin

That sucks! Though I know for a fact Inglot has in the past hired girls with no experience/no courses/etc. So that might be why..

rockin26

That's just slack! I spend ages blending especially foundation and make them go into different lights just so I can check it's all even.

xLongLashesx

I meant their e/s, didn't go close enough to check out the foundation. One girl had bright yellow on the inner 1/3 and basically just black on the outer 2/3 and high above the crease, which wasn't blended out much at all. The other had the same look but bright teal/blue instead.

They however, were pretty stoked with it, one girl said it was the best make over she'd had seeing as she'd been to MAC and napoleon before.

sambibabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLongLashesx

They however, were pretty stoked with it, one girl said it was the best make over she'd had seeing as she'd been to MAC and napoleon before.

Well, guess as long as they were happy, that's all it counts
winks.gif

Just like with my jewellery creations.. My peers would look at my stuff and pick out everything, whereas my customers don't care as long as the colour/design is pretty.
th_dunno.gif

xLongLashesx

True, that's what I was thinking too.. whilst making a mental note never to go for a makeover at Inglot
th_wink3.gif

At least without a clean 217 in my pocket! LOL!

pinkvanilla

Can't say I've ever heard of a good makeover at Inglot
nonono.gif
I really want to try some of their products though!

I sorted out my prices last night, and I was thinking of charging $50 for the bride - now I'm reading this thread I', thinking that might be too little? Maybe $60? I don't want to charge too much since I'm starting out, but...
th_dunno.gif

sambibabe

Quote:
True, that's what I was thinking too.. whilst making a mental note never to go for a makeover at Inglot
th_wink3.gif

At least without a clean 217 in my pocket! LOL!

Haha.. I just had a mental picture of you pulling out your brush and start showing girls how it is done, 'that's no how you do it'..

sambibabe

^^ But then those Inglot girls will say, `MAC brushes and Inglot brushes are made at the same factory...'
tong.gif

simplyenchantin

They do say it haha! And Bobbi Brown! Actually I have an Inglot blending brush that I can't find a dupe of in MAC and I can't let go of it haha
greengrin.gif

pinkvanilla

Quote:
he he he.. or I could do the croc dundee.. "That's not a brush.. THIS is a brush!"

th_LMAO.gif
th_LMAO.gif

boudoirblonde

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkvanilla
Can't say I've ever heard of a good makeover at Inglot
nonono.gif
I really want to try some of their products though!

I sorted out my prices last night, and I was thinking of charging $50 for the bride - now I'm reading this thread I', thinking that might be too little? Maybe $60? I don't want to charge too much since I'm starting out, but...
th_dunno.gif

That is definitely not enough! You want to charge AT LEAST $85 for the bride.

You are right, you don't want to charge too much because you are just starting out, but you don't want to undercut the industry prices either.

Have a look at some artists websites in your area and see what they are charging, that will help
smiles.gif

rockin26

^^ Agreed, $60 is too low by industry standards but like BB says check your area and see what other MUA's are charging. I live in the west in a nice suburb but there are allot of lower income suburbs out here too so $80 is high for some and I've heard of some MUA's charging $40 which peevs me. If I lived in the east I'd be charging up around the $100 mark so area does play a role in your price list.

xLongLashesx

My sister got married about 5 years ago and we paid $70 a face for the (terrible) bridal makeup from a girl just starting out in the outer eastern suburbs.

$50 is definitely selling yourself short, and from a client's perspective she'd probably be wondering why it was so cheap you know?

pinkvanilla

Quote:
and from a client's perspective she'd probably be wondering why it was so cheap you know?

I thought the same thing last night. So I bumped it up to $60, but I think I may put that up to about $70 now. I've had a look around and going rate for Brisbane seems to be $70-85 (or $90 for airbrushing but I'm not up to that yet!).

pinkvanilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudoirblonde
but you don't want to undercut the industry prices either.

Yeah that is true!

Thanks for the suggestions and help girls, it is helping so much!!