Working at Shoppers Drug Mart as a Boutique Expert?

thiscarmen

Hi!

So I was wondering if anyone here works as a boutique expert at Shoppers Drug Mart. I already work at Shoppers as a Cashier/Merchandiser, but I'm applying for a boutique expert position at a different store, and I just have a few questions...such as:
- How did the interview process go? Did you have to apply makeup?
- How much cosmetic experience do they really want in a candidate?

And just other experiences/interesting tidbits.

Thanks in advance!

Sabrunka

Hey, this is a super late answer but I thought I would answer anyways!! I just got hired for that position at Shoppers!! Didn't have to apply make up, but asked what background I have with cosmetics. Thankfully I'm an esthetician and learned about make up in school so that was a bonus... But I think they mostly want retail and customer service experience. They prefer make up experience, but I don't think its a necessity. It was a regular interview, asked regular interview questions... They wanted references, it went well! Was easy I think!

shimmercoconut

My aunt is an MUA at Shoppers, she had no experience previously as an MUA but has a lot of retail management experience

katelyn0

This is REALLY late but I guess I just wanted to brag a bit (LOL). I'm 17 right out of high school (18 in a month) and I've been employed at an SDM beauty boutique for a few weeks now. I am the youngest girl there. I had previous customer service experience but no experience in cosmetic jobs. When I handed in my resume to the manager I just told her I had a passion for make up and lots of product knowledge and did my make up really nice so my boss could see what I was capable of. I feel really fortunate to be this young and having a job in cosmetics that's this good so early in my "career". yay.

boyzeroo

I've been a beautyboutique expert for almost a year now. I had originally applied because someone I know told me to try it out and since I was a guy, I gave a different perspective. The interview went well. I was super enthusiastic about everything and I had lots of knowledge but was lacking in the product knowledge sense. So I was hired part-time since I was finishing up university at that time, but have now been hired full-time. They don't require any cosmetics training but if you can sell, that's more then enough to hire you. Since working at SDM, I've met SO many ppl and been offered freelancing jobs as well.

jennyfee

Yup definitely to get a job in a SDM beauty boutique you need two things: be able to sell, and be really enthusiastic about makeup... At least that's how it works here in Quebec. Having makeup experience / formation is a great thing because it separates you from other candidates, but you still have a chance to get a job if you love makeup and have selling skills
smiles.gif