Working for Sephora

Hi, I hired as a part time cast member in colour in Sephora. There is opening here. The store director told me it could be from 5 hours a week to 20. Do they really do that? I mean giving just 5 hours a week to an employee! And something is a question in my mind. The payment in Sephora is very low and also working hours,so why people love to work there?

cr8zy4MAC

Oh,nobody is here? Does Sephora pay in training?
Yes, they do pay for your training. :) The hours you work can be very erratic. it just depends on a number of different factors. It can be all over the place. The most hours you will be working is during the holiday. If you're wanting full time or part-time with benefits, make sure to let them know. For some it's easy to get, for others it takes a long time. Some people may never get the offer. All I can say is: work your butt off, show your enthusiasm, be flexible, be positive and smile. They really like a smiling face.. I hope this helps. :)

thenightlook

Tysons sephora in McLean, VA is having a job fair soon, I think i saw 9/18 or 9/19 as the day? Recently I walked in there to check out the new store and got offered a job by the manager but turned it down - so go in there looking like you work in makeup!

baddiemey

Color vs Skincare?

I was given the choice of which department to work in and I told them Skincare although I might prefer color. The only reason why I said skincare is because I didn't want to be stuck doing makeovers. But then I read that only licensed Sephora artists do makeovers. Can anyone who works in Color tell me whether they do makeovers as a cast member?

cr8zy4MAC

I am in Color. I work both on the floor and have recently been CMA certified. They are wanting more color-world cast members able to do CMAs when needed. I hope this helps! If you are in new in color, you probably will have a little wiggle room before you are asked to go for CMA certification. I think it's only done once or twice a year.

tiffanyterese

Hi,

This might be a bit late but I hope it's helpful. I'm an education lead (Senior Education Consultant) in a SIJCP. The hiring in an SIJCP focuses a lot on team work and client service. Sephora and JCP have a partnership which makes SIJCP. Depending on the location of your SIJCP the brands carried may differ vastly or just slightly from that of a freestanding due to the fact that the store is aligned with JCP. SIJCP places a huge emphasis on education of the product consultants. Whereas in freestanding, you are visited by outside vendors for education in partnership with your education lead, in SIJCP you are visited by a Beauty Educator that is assigned to your region who has been trained by the brands themselves.

I've worked for SIJCP for 2 years now and I've loved every minute of it! I really like the transparency that exists between the leadership team and the rest of the product consultants, it helps to aid with that team environment. I also like that our product consultants aren't separated into worlds for a monthly basis. You are expected to be well rounded in all aspects of the products and receive the education to help you achieve that! It puts everyone on a level playing field and eliminates that sort of me versus you mentality. Nobody is better than anyone else :)

Also never listen to anyone who says SIJCP isn't a real Sephora. If that was the case there wouldn't be a Sephora sign hanging over your store :)

Best of luck!

monicafaith

I need your help i have one question. I'm a dental assistant and i want to work part time at Sephora but I'm not sure how to set up and introductory or a cover letter since i only know about dental, but make up is passion and i shop at Sephora all the time and I've always wanted to work there. Hopefully you can reply, thanks :)

dpalmer125

[@]monicafaith[/@] hey girl! I usr started working as a core sephora cast member about 2 months ago and I'm not sure about the cover letter because I applied online. I know at my location we are only accepting online aplications and there is no cover letter necessary so maybe look into that? As for being a dental assistant, they don't judge based on your career interests they judge simply on your passion for makeup and specifically a passion for sephora! There are plenty of people at my location who have completely different jobs and just enjoy working here part time for fun! Im currently going to school for sonography and it didn't make a difference :) hope this helped a bit!

Mahdiya

Hi all :) im new here so dont know where to post sorry..found this thread via google..so if someone can help me i got a interview call from sephora and there are hiring seasonal so whst should i prepared for? Ps i recently moved here in saskatoon canda and i dont have fluent speaking english..so what are the chances what they look in you?

Hi Mahdiya; Where are you from? Im working at Sephora.English is my second language but I dont have problem. Most of the things are routin :)

miss martin

I have a question. I'm wanting to work for sephora but I hate working later than 6pm can anyone share their experience and could I get the job and ask not to work nights? Will they respect that? I am willing to do a late night here and there but family is more important to me, I rather not. Please share your thoughts! Thanks

Kaylakriistinaa

Sephora is all about work life balance, they're extremely flexible. They will definitely respect that. That's why i love working for the company
smiles.gif

suciarubia

For anyone in the Pittsburgh area, I've had employees attempt to recruit me in both the Monroeville & Westmoreland Mall Sephoras. I'm an Esthetician/Makeup Artist, so it starts with a compliment on my makeup, followed by me saying, "thank you, I especially appreciate that since makeup is my field," and then they tell me to apply. So, although I can't say for sure, it sure seems like there is room on their "cast" for those in the area looking to get in! I did ask what availability requirements were and was told that weekends are basically a must, as are some evenings. I look at it this way: the more availability/flexibility you have, the more hours you'll potentially get. I do have a friend who worked at the MM location and quit because they "worked her like a dog," so take that as you will!

EvilxAngel

I'm the Beauty Studio Captain at my location. It's a free standing location. Honestly, if you aren't in school, if you can't work some evenings, it's a deal breaker for our store.

BIYClothing

My daughter recently interviewed for a part time position at Sephora-JCP that is opening soon in our area. VERY dissapointed in the process. She attended two interviews where all they did was replicate a photograph they had 10 seconds to memorize and guide others to build the shape using only words. This was done at both interviews. Not once were they asked about themselves, passion, reasons for wanting the job or any sort of typical interview questions. My daughter has a spatial disability so this was quite difficult. Despite the fact she has graduated beauty school and is close to having her license she was cut from the third interview. First off, how many interviews for a less than 20 hour employment? Rediculous! Shape building has absolutely nothing to do with how well a person can perform in a sales position. Also they were told that two people would be cut but they cut at least 3. All three girls cut had at least one of the following. Nose piercing, hair partly colored or a tattoo. Those who made the cut showed up very conservatively. Little to no makeup and plainly dressed. The interviewer was obviously a JCP employee, none of these girls who fit the look/ type of a Sephora employee get the chance to speak with the actual Sephora rep on the third interview. Disgusted!

Bhairst

I had the same experience when I applied for a job at SIJCP. We had to memorize the picture for 10 seconds and then instruct the rest of the group. That was the entire interview. The only reason I applied was because one of the cast members there and I start talking and she noticed I was very knowledgable about the products. However, I was unable to show that in my interview since I got cut. Fortunately, I also applied for the freestanding Sephora at that particular mall and I got hired the day after my interview with them.

I've working at Sephora for 6 months now and absolutely love it. The hours are great, they are pretty flexible however I noticed that when we aren't making budget or when we are 'down' for that hour they actually send girls home.
I've noticed this happen a couple times within the past 6 months and wondering if this is something that every store does? or is it a company policy?
I just don't understand that if sephora is a multi million dollar company and when we don't make our sales goal or our budget why is that they send girls home? why does the employee have to go home, she looses out on a couple hours that could have been on her paycheck just because of some budget. if maybe someone can explain the reasoning behind this i would really love to know. I've never heard of a company doing this.
and for that matter I don't understand why sales should affect our paychecks. I put in so many hours (i'm full time and almost never call out) and when we don't make bonus why should my paycheck be affected if the store doesn't make the goal again.
I do understand that companies have budgets with every store but i don't know something just seems fishy.

This is the only thing that is on my mind, like i said I don't wanna be the bad guy for talking about this sorta thing. Sephora is my dream job, I can't picture working anywhere else. I love working with such awesome people everyday, clients are eager to learn and listen in what I have to say , it doesn't feel like I'm at work.
but if anyone here can explain the issue I have with the sending girls home and the budget thing I would be very interested in reading it.

thanks.

Latest posts