Working for Ulta

ayounowho

Quick queation on dress code. Can I wear heels to work? Or is this to much. I have orientation tomorrow so im a little nervous

Career

Hello.

I have been contacted for a possible manager position and I would like to make a difference if possible, therefore I would like your personal thoughts.

If you were in control to make a difference what would you suggest?

Thanks

Monsy

what management position? there are couple of different ones in the store

what kind of difference are you talking about?

kkaarrii

Hey guys!

I just got a job at Ulta last week. This week I have 32 hours because we are working overnight to set up for our Benefit Brow Bar but this girl I was working with from another store said she sometimes only gets 12 hours a week and they change the schedule on her all the time. Do most of yall working at Ulta have this same problem? I am a college student so I don't want too many hours, I would like around 30 a week. I have bills to pay, so it made me kind of nervous hearing that.
oh.gif

Monsy

if you are part time most likely you will get less than 20 every week, rarely they give more than that
i would say 16-20 max

Monsy

did you ask how many hours they can guarantee ?? usually they say that upfront if they need someone they will specifically ask you if you want/can to work certain amount of hours
30 or 32 hours they consider full time and only managers get that much or more (or maybe one lead cashier)

what position were you hired for?

kerioky

I was specifically wondering on the dress code what their rules for hair and make up are. I tend to do a lot of fun stuff with my eyes, trying out various tutorials from YouTube. And my hair is purple, which I'm not really willing to change. Because it's a beauty job, perhaps they will appreciate my unique styles, but then again, maybe not. I've found lots of info on dress restrictions and allowances, but none regarding hair color. Can someone help me out?

Monsy

Yes that's completely ok. At my ulta we have girl with bright pink hair and one who had blue, green, pink, red hair... and a lot of girls do very bright dramatic makeup

kkaarrii

did you ask how many hours they can guarantee ?? usually they say that upfront if they need someone they will specifically ask you if you want/can to work certain amount of hours  30 or 32 hours they consider full time and only managers get that much or more  (or maybe one lead cashier) what position were you hired for?
I put on my application I wanted between 25-30 but in the interview I was so excited to get the job I completely forgot to ask :( I've never had a job give me so little hours so I didn't even think about it. It's my second week and I have 13 hours which my check is going to suck and I'll have no extra money after bills. I am going to talk to the GM about hours because this one girl got 64 for two weeks. And I'll probably have to find a different job.

Sequinzombie

Just get out of ulta I was there for almost 2 years and it was awful. I was miserable. It doesn't get better and the hours are always up and down.

Kacee Burrus

Hey everyone! I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience as a prestige manager for Ulta? I spoke with the hiring manager at my local Ulta today and she informed me that a position will be coming open in January. She asked about my past experience and said that I would be qualified for that position. I'm just wanting any general information on the position itself, i.e. pay, duties, hours (full time), benefits, etc. This tread has been really helpful already, so thanks in advance!!

Monsy

ddepends how big the store is so it might be only you or you and couple of prestige girls

first of all selling selling selling makeup and skincare and fragrance
organizing events and booking appointments for events
cleaning and restocking your department
usually prestige manager works about 32-35 hours a week
weekends are almost mandatory

suciarubia

I worked at Ulta and only made it 3 months! I was SO excited to get the job, but it ended up giving me an ulcer...

I started off as an Esthetician in a local salon/spa. The owner did nothing to advertise at the time, and I was commission only, so although I did have the highest client return rate of all employees, I wasn't making enough to pay the bills. I saw online that Ulta was hiring for what I thought would be one of the cosmetic departments and applied. Was called for an interview and informed when I got there that they were looking to hire a "brow expert" for Benefits brow bar. I was immediately uncomfortable, because although I did learn how to shape and wax brows in school, it's not my forte. I was passed over for that position (which was a relief to me, honestly), but offered one as part time Esthetician in their spa. I was very flattered to have been offered the position and happily accepted.

Although I was only given 3 days a week to start (two evenings from I believe 5-9 and every Saturday), I was told they had a full time Esthetician that they implied wouldn't be there much longer, giving me hope that I'd get her premo hours and existing clientele. Was also told that working both there and at my other job would be a conflict of interest, so I put all of my eggs in Ultas basket and quit at the spa.

I was under the impression that Ulta would do a lot more advertising than my previous job did and that I'd be there to perform my services once appointments were booked, as well as sell skin care products in my downtime, yet there were barely any existing clients, and as I said, all the ones there were went to the other Esthetician! Turns out most people were unaware that Ulta offers facials and body waxing!

I was expected to meet very high service sale goals every week. I was to walk around during my shift and try to sell customers my services. I was prepared for sales goals in the cosmetics department, but I struggled to convert customers who were there for, say, hair care or nail products, or only looking to spend $10 on a lipstick, into a $50+ facial client! Especially during closing hours during the week (I did have a little more luck on Saturdays). Needless to say, I was constantly getting "talked to" by my managers about not meeting goals and that's where the stress ulcer came from.

Since I was so bored without a book of appointments to perform during my shifts (and you can only straighten up the shelves so much), I took the time to learn as much as I could about the different cosmetic brands, and the manager of the Prestige department told me that she'd love for me to transfer to the department. My passion (and talent) has always been in makeup. However, when she approached the DM about it, she was told that I was failing in one area, so why move me to another? That made no sense to me. Since I was "failing" in the spa, why NOT give me the opportunity to improve somewhere else?! If it's because they were planning to fire me, I didn't give them the chance- after my trip to the ER, I gave them my 2 weeks notice, which the SM didn't even make me fulfill.

A few months later, one of my co-workers was also fired for not meeting sales goals (she worked for Urban Decay and, in my opinion, did a great job representing the brand). A year or so after that, I heard that the SM (who wasn't the same as when I worked there, but rather another of my former co-workers who had been promoted) was fired, too.

I quit ULTA and it was the best thing ever. I was a Prestige Manager for three years. (This will not be a very positive review, sorry!) I tried to be positive which is why I was there as long as I was, but it was a soul sucking experience.

I'm in the midwest. Our cashiers were paid $8-9. Prestige slightly higher. Our Benefit Arch Experts were paid the highest but they were also really amazing and had to beg and plead for raises. $12-13 was probably their highest. I left making $18.. but I heard managers in my store making anywhere between $11-20. The lower range were people who were promoted from within and the higher range were people with YEARS of experience. In the same breath, I heard them reject a former Dior AE $20/hr. If you want to work in cosmetics and want to do something part time and make money, be a vendor. Work for Smashbox, Urban Decay, Stila, Too Faced.. They were making 2-3x what our associates made.

The best thing to do when applying is to apply online. If you don't hear from them within a week, I would give them a call and ask if the hiring manager has seen your application. If you haven't applied online yet, there's not much they can do if you ask someone in the store. 99% chance the person you ask will have NOTHING to do with hiring.

Most people we hired generally had no idea about makeup or much to do with prestige. I had to fight tooth and nail to get my prestige team off the registers. Unfortunately, most training is left to corporate designated trainings via Vendor or Corporate Initiation. Corporately, they just send videos and maybe a little quiz. ULTA invests the least in their associates than any other company I have worked for.

There isn't much payroll. The people who will get the most hours aren't going to be the people with the most talent, but the people who can show up when called in and be most flexible. Truck will probably get priority, then task/cashiers, and prestige will get shit for hours.

Truly, when it comes down to it, every ULTA really depends on who the district manager is and who the general manager. The rest of the store will reflect entirely on them. Unfortunately my DM was awful and my last GM knew absolutely nothing about makeup and saw it as just another retail job, not an industry of passionate artists who constantly needed education.

Cali1luv

Has anyone here worked as a "vendor" with Ulta? Like for Urban Decay, Benefit etc? NOT an Ulta employee... I ended up getting the job for Mally Beauty as a Sales Freelancer position and I wanted ANY feedback even if its not for Mally Beauty. I was wondering if we bring our own brush cleaner things like that. Our Ulta is always a mess and things are never available when you want to match anything..that's what I was asking.

Thanks!

Latest posts