working out but not losing weight?

slowdownbaby

Stress and not eating enough or the right foods can make you stop losing weight. You have to get the right nutrients and don't starve yourself :)

PeachTwist

I personally think it's what you're eating.

I've been working out for 2 weeks now and I have lost 7lbs. I'm not going daily, I go 3-4x a week and work out for an hour max.

I'm eating 5-6x a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. I'm also drinking as much water as I possibly can. People often forget that drinking at least the recommended daily amount of water helps lose weight.

Also, you say you're lifting weights, but what about cardio? Have you tried joining any classes at your gym? Maybe you need a little push from a personal trainer or an instructor. I know I work harder when I have someone yelling at me to push it more, to keep going, etc. Also - music. Use your phone or ipod or mp3 player to listen to music while working out. Keep the songs fast - you'll work along with the song.

If you're not feeling the burn WHILE doing it or the next day - you're doing it wrong.

Speak to a professional in your gym, I'm sure someone can help.

Also, sorry if this sounds at all harsh - it's not meant to come across that way at all, I just generally do.

EDIT: I'm also not leaving out the food I love. I eat healthy 5 days a week, Monday through Friday and I indulge a bit on the weekend by enjoying myself. Those are my days off from it and I allow myself that. If you don't, you won't stick with it.

Don't make it a diet, make it a lifestyle change.

ruthless

I have to say that although medications can contribute to weight gain and loss, the reason people gain weight on anti depressants is because they eat more and do less.

How old are you? Prozac isn't good for younger people, it increases the risk of suicide.

I'm not a Doctor, by any means, but if you've got anxeity a really good SSRI used to combat that is Lexapro (Escitalopram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). The sexual side effects are lesser than Paxil or Zoloft usually.

My advice? Eat more vegetables, and less processed food. Good luck!

Jenna463

Cut the salt
Eating more than the recommended 2500mg (1 tablespoon) of sodium each day will cause you to retain water and weight gain. Sodium holds up to 50 times its weight in water. When you limit the amount of sodium you eat your body will begin to expel some that unwanted water weight.

Forgot to add, eating clean will let you eat more and notice less of a change in hunger because you'll get to eat a higher volume of food for less calories but it's fine to eat about 10% of your calories on junk if you're prone to binging at all. Try to eat how you would for a week and record that to see how much you eat and the next week cut back a few hundred calories.
This is bang on. There are two important factors to a healthy lifestyle: working out and eating right. Sounds like you are doing the first of those things quite well, so maybe it's time to shift the focus to the 2nd thing. Eating healthy means giving your body the nutrition, protein, and vitamins that it needs to prosper, but not eating too much so that your body stores the excess food as fat. Finding how much this is for an individual depends on your own body and how much exercise you do, but start cutting out junk food from your diet and focus on veggies, fruits, meats (protein), etc. and see if that makes a difference.

shescoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBI
A pound is a pound; a pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh the same: a pound.

However, muscle is denser, so a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

(Sorry, the statement that muscle weighs more is a pet peeve of mine)
winks.gif

thmbup.gif
thmbup.gif
thmbup.gif
thmbup.gif
thmbup.gif
thmbup.gif

Thank you so much for pointing this out.
For those who need to see it:
Take 5 lbs of steak and hold it against your left thigh.
Now take 5 lbs of marshmallows and hold it against your right thigh.
Look at the difference and realize they weigh the same, but don't take up the same amount of space.
What a great way to look at fat vs. muscle. I know this thread is old but I am at a total stall with my weight loss. Guess I'll up my cardio and lower my calories even more :(

Jodylicious

It's less about how much you eat, and more about what you eat. For a period of my life i was working out and not losing weight because while i wasn't eating a lot, i was eating all the wrong things. I started eating healthier and that changed.