Your thoughts on "Mattel Barbie Stila Cosmetics"

Khymeira

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChrys79
I'm just mad the doll on the packaging has an afro....black women do have perms and good hair nowadays....LOL
lol.gif

"Good hair"? Self-hating, much?

brownsuga lady

Quote:
I'm just mad the doll on the packaging has an afro....black women do have perms and good hair nowadays....LOL
lol.gif

What exactly is "good hair"?
th_confused_new.gif

Lovey99

Quote:
lol.gif

What is "good hair"? That sounds extremely unintelligent

TwistedFaith

I ordered the Foxy one Thursday morning and I should get it on Monday. I'm so excited! I missed all of MAC Barbie, at least now I'll have some Barbie makeup.

KeshieShimmer

Quote:
lol.gif

Yikes. We can all have "good hair" if you learn how to take care of it.

vuittongirl

Quote:
lol.gif

i thought she was being sarcastic..... at least i hope she was being sarcastic...............
nonono.gif

gabi03

Quote:
lol.gif

i'm not really laughing but sure if thats what u feel is "good"

Anyways but yea this is super cute and I want it, the concept to me is just very appealing to that inner little tomboy girl in me
th_DANCE.gif

HeavenLeiBlu

Ladies, for the record, I'd like to say that although I can't speak for MsChys79; I don't think that she intended for to remark to be taken in such an inflammatory way. In real life, I hear the term "good hair" tossed around way more casually than I'd like, and I usually take the time to voice my displeasure with the speaker. I've found that most people who use the term don't even realize that it's offensive in the first place, nevermind WHY.

This term is tossed around a lot in the American Black community, and my Dominicanas, toss around the term "pelo malo" quite frequently as well. If you're familiar with either term, then you know what they both mean. My problem with both is that both imply that highly textured or nappy (and I don't find nappy to be offensive, btw) hair is bad, and that implication is incorrect, and can be a blow to someone's whose self esteem isn't up to par, especially little girls who are subject to hearing ther mom's complaints about their hair every time they sit down to get their hair done.

Just my two pence.

gooblyglob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAChostage
So did you buy your doll from Mattel?? How did you get her?

I actually bought the doll from a fellow Barbie collector as she was released in 1980... I hope MAC and Barbie join up for another collection, it will be heaven all over again!

and there's nothing wrong about her hair! I love it when women with super curly hair leave it in the natural state (whether cropped or in an afro - you should google South African Princess Barbie and Nichelle Urban Hipster Barbie, two of my favourite dolls - amongst many I must admit) although I guess it must be difficult to manage super curly hair, I have straight hair so I wouldn't know
th_dunno.gif

perfecttenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindel25
Not really interested since they got rid of their darker shades

Why did they discontinue their darker shades? Do they plan on re-packaging or re-formulating???

I've never used any Stile products, but I've heard a lot about it, so I'm just curious about this.