Blending

Joke

I think blending is so important for a good eye look, but I never get it right.
Whenever I blend, the colors of my e/s and pigments really don't show up vibrant anymore. They almost become like pastel!

So, which brush do you use for blending?
And do you have any tips?

TIA

Eemaan

what neutral shade of shadestick would you recommend? i have this same problem
smiles.gif

Juneplum

when i blend, only do it where the 2 colors meet using little circles to erase the line where it meets.. the brush should barely touch the shadow, so do it with a light hand or else u'll end up where it all looks like one color smooshed all together.. i like the 224 and the 217.

hall234

Try using a nude paint underneath your eyeshadow. This will make it stick like hell, but still be able to move during blending. I like the shadesticks, but they tend to rub off. Once the paint dries, it doesn't move nearly as much.

professionaltart

im not a big paint fan but i do love shadesticks, theyre like the upgraded CCBs. For a good neutral i like Shimemrsand or Beigeing. After using the SS, i pack on my shadow with a flat brush like 242 and then blend away with 224 or 222!

LinGzin

Believe it or not, but I use a white eyeliner to colour in my eyelid. I then use a flat brush to smooth it out, and then I have my eyeshadow on top. By using an eyeliner or wax base, the colour clings to your skin better! To blend, I gently use a contouring brush and gently sweep it across my eyelids.

user3

I mainly use paints as a base and I have to agree that they make blending really hard. I find that if I plan to blend the colors it is best to overlap them a bit when using paints. This makes the blending easier.

Don't worry you are not alone with the blending problem. I face it everyday.

I have a blender brush that works great but I think it tends to pick the color up off of my eye instead of really blending it.

I just ordered the MAC 217 because I would told this would help in doing a soft blend without taking the color away.

I have heard that a flat shader brush works too. I know someone who blend with their 272 but since I use that for most looks it already has eyeshadow on it when I am ready to blend and I like to blend with a clean brush.

If the 217 does not work for me I might get the Stila #5 that Dopesickgirl rec's in another thread.

I've never used a Stila brush before so that is why I went for the MAC one first.

They say practice is the key but I've been trying for 2 yrs now to get multi-colored blending to a professional looking level. I'd say I am half way there. I don't really play around with makeup as much as I should so the only "practice" I usually get is when I am applying it for that day.

Krista

I have a question about blending. I'm getting better at blending my different colours like my lid and crease colours...my question is about the overall look of eyeshadow. What I mean is...if you were to put on one colour of eyeshadow, do you blend the edge of the colour where it meets your browbone/highlighter? Or do you leave it as a hard line? Does that make sense?

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista
I have a question about blending. I'm getting better at blending my different colours like my lid and crease colours...my question is about the overall look of eyeshadow. What I mean is...if you were to put on one colour of eyeshadow, do you blend the edge of the colour where it meets your browbone/highlighter? Or do you leave it as a hard line? Does that make sense?

Depends on the look you want. I try to blend it so it looks soft. It doesn't show up in my pics but in real life it is much softer. The flash somehow washes out my colors and sometimes makes them look like there is a hard line.

I'd love to hear what the more experienced blenders have to say about this!