aching knee

Shimmer

And I'm talking seriously aching on the outside of my kneecap area. I'm not limping but it's twinging pretty badly.
I was a surgical assistant in the army and recognize that it's likely not a HUGE deal, however, it's been 3 days now.
cry.gif
It hurts!! [/end whine]

Other than RICE, ideas? Wattage?

Tyester

Do you have a brace or sleeve on it? How much time do you spend on it per day?

And anything you might've done to aggravate it? Sometimes the littlest things will set off a bad injury.

Wattage

Sometimes certain activities can cause tenderness in the knee-cap (aka the patella) area.

Just a few general questions:

1. Are you a runner?

2. Have you previously injured your knee or knee-cap?

3. Do you have very strong quadriceps muslces and do activities that involve the use of your quads often?

4. Is there any swelling, discolouration and/or heat in the area?

You are absolutely right about RICE! Try an anti-inflammatory (Advil is great) in the meantime, but not too much as you don't want to ignore the pain and do more damage.

Let me know what's up and I will see what I can do to help
smiles.gif

Hang in there Lady! I have a bum knee too so I feel your pain - literally!!

bottleblack

Why do I have a feeling when you guys say RICE you're not referring to the fluffy white pieces of carb goodness??

Wattage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleblack
Why do I have a feeling when you guys say RICE you're not referring to the fluffy white pieces of carb goodness??

LOL - you just made me laugh so hard!!

It is an acronoym used in sport med a lot meaning:

Rest Ice Compression Elevation

greengrin.gif
We all need a little RICE now and then!!

Shimmer

Sometimes certain activities can cause tenderness in the knee-cap (aka the patella) area.

Just a few general questions:

1. Are you a runner? Ha. Only if the house is on fire. I do walk though, pretty much 4 days a week on average.

2. Have you previously injured your knee or knee-cap? played hindcatcher for years. Was in the army. Have I done anything that needs medical attention? no.

3. Do you have very strong quadriceps muslces and do activities that involve the use of your quads often? fairly so and I walk (hills on the treadmill) and do lunges // squats 2 days a week.

4. Is there any swelling, discolouration and/or heat in the area? yes. no. yes.

You are absolutely right about RICE! Try an anti-inflammatory (Advil is great) in the meantime, but not too much as you don't want to ignore the pain and do more damage.

Let me know what's up and I will see what I can do to help
smiles.gif

Hang in there Lady! I have a bum knee too so I feel your pain - literally!!

Husband has wrapped the knee and advil'd me...forward movement is okay lateral is not.
lateral or any torque-ing is owwie. :/

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleblack

mmmmmmmmmmmmm rice and butter and sugar.

Wattage

Hmm, it's hard to say what it might be, but since you're having some inflammation it is cause for concern.

I would think that perhaps you are having a bit of tendonitis in your patellar tendon if you quads are strong. Sometimes the strong pull by the quad causes the tendons that overlap the knee-cap to become inflamed and sensitive.

If it doesn't subside or comes back, I would def. see someone about it. No harm in getting an x-ray or MRI done to ensure there isn't anything that should be looked into further.

HTH!
smiles.gif

Latest posts