At home Highlights?

Dreamergirl3

I want to give myself some highlights, and with my current budget, a salon is out of the question
ssad.gif
. Anyway, I already have the color I want for the highlights, but I'm not sure how to go about doin them. I was thinking, maybe using a highlight cap? I heard those are hit or miss, though. Any ideas?

prppygrl69

the caps can be soo......off sometimes.you have to pull the exact same amount of hair through the holes each time,or you'll end up having funky highlights.or worse even having too much on one side and not enough on the other.you have to sit them perfectly on your head and really tight too.plus sometimes when you pull your hair through them,specially if your hair is long,you can tangle it and damage the crap out of it b4 you do the real damaging part of bleaching it.if i were you i'd wait till you had enough money and get foil highlights at a good salon.

Dreamergirl3

yea that's what I was thinking. I just figured a cap because it seemed like I could do it without any help LOL but I'm definately not going to risk it.
Also, I'm actually not going to use a traditional highlighter...rather than using a bleaching paste, I'm just using regular dye in a color I tried and loved before, but feel it would make better highlights than an all over color. That way, I know how the color will turn out without having to worry about over-bleaching or getting something brassy (which would be horrible on my dark espresso-brown hair).

Any one have any tips for doing it at home?

Dreamergirl3

it has a light lifter (not very strong), and no ammonia. its lighter than my natural color but only by a shade or two

prppygrl69

well that's good.i was worried about that.that's good that it's not too much lighter than your natural color.you might want to get a toner with a blue base as well,so you won't come out brassy.go for it.get the cap,but do make sure you pull hair out evenly out of the cap.i think it should turn out good.i thought you were wanting like bright blonde highlights lol.

ruby_soho

If you're getting one of the highlight kits that comes with an applicator comb (like the Herbal Essences triangle thing) then buy a real brush applicator (or toothbrush) to use instead of the comb. The comb applicator things deposit all the product at the roots and dont distribute it evenly root to tip. HTH

bluegrassbabe

You can get one of those application brushes at Sally or another beauty supply for a very little. The cap things are terrible. If you don't pull the hair out just right (which is kind of painful for me anyway) you'll end up with "roots" immediately after coloring.

Pink_minx

omg dont try this at home please. I looked like a skunk doing highlights at home and I had to take my senior portraits the next day it was a disaster! Im just warning you. I know it cost a bit to get it done at the salon but you should do it there than at home.

prppygrl69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink_minx
omg dont try this at home please. I looked like a skunk doing highlights at home and I had to take my senior portraits the next day it was a disaster! Im just warning you. I know it cost a bit to get it done at the salon but you should do it there than at home.

i'm going to have to go with her and my FIRST gut instinct.just a question.would you rather do it at a salon with a pro,or do it cheap at home and have to wind up spending MORE than you thought in the first place to fix it?just a thought.i wouldn't do it if i were you.

litlaur

If you really REALLY want to do this with a cap, I'd recommend having someone help you. It's good to have someone who can see the back of your head, and pull out an even amount of hair.

But I have to agree with the others. Wait a little longer to save some money, and get some fantastic highlights done at a salon. I've done the cap thing a couple times. I always had help, so it was never a disaster, but it wasn't really worth the effort either.