College issues

jess98765

Hey darl, same thing really happened with me... i wanted to go to a uni that was out of town, so that i could get away from home and experience idenpendent life and head off to an area more uni lifestyled base. However, my parents like yours were totally agasint it. They didn't give valid reasons, they just said "NO" everytime i mention it. It was really off putting and really made me quite lonely and sad for a while as i was feeling that they didn't really see where i was coming from and what i wanted. THe last thing i wanted was to go to a uni that i didn't want. So yea, i got into a really big fight with my mum a while back about this situation, where she was accusing me of not wanting to stay at home and how she was a bad mother becasue she thought i wanted to get away from her, and she was complaining how she was doing her best to keep everything on the right track with my life and everything. But i thought that she just didn't see where i was coming from in wanting to experience things myself.... i've lived with them my whole life, they've given me all i've ever wanted (which i'm not complaining about), but you do get to that stage where you want to be by yourself. Anyways, she didn't see pass my ideas which really sadened me. In the end, i went to the local uni which is really bugging me still. I'm really not enjoying the life there and everything is pretty bland. I've told this numerously to my parents (trying to do the whole guilt trap thing on them) but they still don't really care. I feel that they don't really see what i want and whats best with me.....
Just wanted to express my anger about college issues too.... Sorry for invading your post hun...just after reading your post made me want to tell everyone my really fustrating story
smiles.gif

MisStarrlight

Congrats on Trinity! If that's your college of choice, I'd say go for it. Take out the loans & get all the scholarhips you can...also, don't forget about grants-they saved my life my second year. Do what is best for you now & worry about how you will pay for it later. I have $120,000 in loans-at least- and am supposed to start paying them off in September. Yay for deferrments! The possibility of owing someone that much money is terribly daunting, but if I don't think about it, I'm ok with it.

Sometimes parents have a hard time letting go. You just have to have a talk with them. Sit down at a time that's convenient for everyone involved & have a discussion. Explain to them-calmly-why you feel that this is the best choice for you & a great opportunity. Hopefully with an open mind they will be able to understand and accept your position.

alt629

there's nothing wrong with wanting to live far away. i made sure that all the schools i applied to were more than a few hours away so there would be no visiting from my parents! i wanted to get out too, i think it's natural to want to get out and be on your own. that always made my mom sad that i couldnt wait to get back to college after breaks and stuff, but then my dad would say that's how he knew he did a good job raising me, b/c i was able to be independent.

anyway, loans can def. be limiting, i'm with misstarlight on this one, i've got about 150K in debt plus interest and i pay 1000/mo in loan payments (yes i consolidated!). it's depressing but it's really not that bad, esp. since yours wouldn't be nearly that high.

your parents want what is best for you and it's hard sometimes to accept that your parents aren't perfect, but you just gotta understand they have their flaws too and they're not working off the same data points as you. at the end of the day though it's your life, and you're gonna be happy doing what you want, not what your parents what. congrats on college!!