Coloring Help!

JunkaLunk

hey!
So my mom bought me Wella Hair color charm in very dark brown and a 20 volume developer by Salon Care. And she figured that I knew how to dye my hair with this stuff. But I have absolutely no idea.
So does anyone know the amount of developer I should mix with the hair color, etc etc. Because I'm usually dying my hair with that bad drug store stuff. If this doesn't work out for me I'm thinking of just going to the salon. But I really want to know how to do this for the future, hahah.

Ada

It doesn't say on the bottle/box for the dye?

The stuff I use is equal parts dye and developer. But it's semi-permanant stuff and the developer is only 9 volume. I seem to remember when I used dye that required stronger developer, it was two parts dye to one part developer. But I could be wrong about that. Did you try looking on the Wella website?

The best way to mix it is to get one of those plastic hair dye mixing bottles with the ounces marked on the side.

I haven't used drug store dye since I started getting stuff from Sally's and mixing it myself-- it's much cheaper, you can make customer colors by mixing different shades, and you can buy a big bottle of developer and a bunch of little bottles of dye so whenever you start to get roots or want to do a touch up-- you don't have to make a separate trip to the store.

Ada

Ooops, I was wrong. It was one part dye to two parts developer, not the other way around. I just looked it up on sallybeauty.com

So yeah, the tube of hair color you have is probably 2 oz. So squeeze that into the bottle, add enough developer to make 6 oz. and you should be good!

JunkaLunk

The hair color I bought, wella color charm, is in a bottle. I saw the tube hair colors. Are those the ones I should be getting? Or should I Just get the cream developer. Because My mom got me clear developer, and I didnt think it would mix well.

Ada

It's more of a personal preference. I prefer a thicker, creamier formula because it's easier for me to apply on myself and less messy (it doesn't drip as easily as more liquidy stuff does).

As far as what type of developer to use-- usually on the box that the dye comes in, where it says the proportions of dye to developer it also tells you what kind of developer to use.

Is this the dye you're using?

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1410/800500

It says at the bottom that you can use liquid or cream developer-- liquid if you want a thinner consistency, and cream if you want it to be thicker. Again, my personal preference is for thicker, so I'd go with the cream (I usually use gel dye (in a tube) and cream developer so it's as thick as possible! Black dye dripping everywhere makes a mess of your bathroom!) but the stuff you have will certainly work just fine.

HTH!

JunkaLunk

YES! Thats exactly what I bought. I don't feel so clueless anymore, hahaha. I'm going to visit Sallys asap. Thank you so much!