D-I-Y Brush Cleanser ??

user2

Does anybody know how to make your own brush cleanser?
Because I'm a little bit too meanly to buy one...

shamlet16

a lot of people suggest J&J baby shampoo - personally I use the MAC brush cleanser just to be safe.
smiles.gif

PrettyKitty

I don't know, but I use the MAC brush cleanser, and it take only a little bit of product, so the bottle will last a long time! Its no very pricey.

martygreene

I suggest a brush cleanser by Mehron on Ben Nye, theatrical makeup companies.

Brush cleansers are superior to baby shampoo, etc. because they condition the brushes as well, preventing the hair from drying out. Shampoo is designed to work with the fact that your hair on your head is attached to a living scalp which is re-distributing the natural oils, preventing your hair from drying out.

Alison

I use MAC brush cleaner on mine. Is this sufficient or should I be using baby shampoo as well?

martygreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
I use MAC brush cleaner on mine. Is this sufficient or should I be using baby shampoo as well?

Brush cleaner is far superior to shampoos and soaps. Brush cleaners have components to condition the brush, to prevent the hairs from drying out. Shampoos are designed to be used on hair connected to a living scalp, which replenishes the natural oils onto the hair. Without these oils or conditioning agents, the brush hairs will dry out and the brush will be much shorter lived.

Elorien

I think I might have asked this before, but is it ok to dilute the MAC brush cleaner with water? (not too much water, of course)

mspixieears

I can't answer your question Elorien, but did want to state that I use Philosophy Purity facial cleanser to wash mine - not much, and it's so gentle plus it washes out very pigmented powder residue. My brushes are all synthetic thus far, so don't know if this is suitable for bristles of natural bristles.

Alison

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison

Brush cleaner is far superior to shampoos and soaps. Brush cleaners have components to condition the brush, to prevent the hairs from drying out. Shampoos are designed to be used on hair connected to a living scalp, which replenishes the natural oils onto the hair. Without these oils or conditioning agents, the brush hairs will dry out and the brush will be much shorter lived.

Thanks for the info. I'll stick to my MAC brush cleaner then.

cinnamongurlee

i have done both: use shampoo and brush cleaner.

i have to say that the brush cleaner cleans the brushes WAY WAY WAY better. the brush cleaner also allows the brushes to dry faster for some reason (assuming the ingredients/solvents are different than those in shampoo).

and when you use the brush cleaner, you use so little to wash your brushes thoroughly, and rid them of every last bit of makeup. and when you use shampoo, sometimes you have to wash them 2 -3 times to get the rinse water to return to clear!

MAC brush cleaner also takes way less time to clean and rinse brushes thoroughly. it is worth the investment, and you get to use the empty for the back to MAC program
smiles.gif

joey_zane

Personally I've bought the MAC Brush Cleanser, but I have friends who use baby shampoos. One of my best friends uses a Lush shower gel called Narcotick which contains cleansing tea tree
th_wink3.gif

user2

Yesterday I found that:
if you're ever in a pinch, and run out of brush cleaner
you can make a pretty close homemade version as follows
(minus MAC's trademark pink hue):

1.50 oz gentle detergent free shampoo
3.00 oz alcohol
3.00 oz water

Mix in your empty brush cleaner bottle if you have it,
or in an empty spritzer. Makes 7.50 oz.
(original brush cleaner is 7.9 oz)

enjoy your clean brushes!!

BTW: what is detergent free shampoo? Baby shampoo?

lenjhn

I emailed Stila's CS to find out why my brushes were not as soft as they were when I first bought them. She asked what I used to wash them with, and when I said brush cleanser she said to only use that sparingly because the alcohol dries the bristles out. I don't know how true that is, but I've started just using the brush cleanser every couple of washes and using baby shampoo the rest of the time. In a pinch I've even used moisturizing liquid hand soap (not antibacterial) and it worked just fine.