Fake Stippling Brush 187

chako012

Hi guys,

I've recently bought a stippling brush off ebay and received it and it was in such a bad shape to the point where the handles were falling off. I returned it to the seller and asked for a refund and while surfing their other products they definately have a selection of fake eyeshadows. Which brings me to the question, are there fake 187 brushes? I believe mine was as it definately was bad quality (fibres shedding, handle loose).

I love paypal...

Wattage

I think there are most definitely some fake 187s out there. I have been eyeing a few on ebay as well and I know for sure some I have seen are fakies.

ssad.gif

Eemaan

yes there, ive definately come across them, it the same sellers selleing the 'sparkley mac #2' eyeshadows and blushes

Miss_Behave

was it a UK seller? because I wanted to buy a 187 myself but the seller had a huge lot of fake mac e/s with numbers so I thought the rest he sells is probably fake too

Cool Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattage
I think there are most definitely some fake 187s out there. I have been eyeing a few on ebay as well and I know for sure some I have seen are fakies.

ssad.gif

how do you know? Are there obvious signs?

Raerae

A fake brush probably has the same "look" as a real brush, but the fibers used to make the brush itself are of much lower quality...

Thats whats so expensive about the brush, is the type of fiber used, not the handle, thats just wood...

So they could feel different, as well as wear different, fall apart due to poor construction, etc... but in a E-Bay photo, might look the same...

allan_willb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chako012
Hi guys,

I've recently bought a stippling brush off ebay and received it and it was in such a bad shape to the point where the handles were falling off. I returned it to the seller and asked for a refund and while surfing their other products they definately have a selection of fake eyeshadows. Which brings me to the question, are there fake 187 brushes? I believe mine was as it definately was bad quality (fibres shedding, handle loose).

I love paypal...

Do you have a pic?

Wattage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Kitten
how do you know? Are there obvious signs?

Yes. One bad sign right off the bat is that the only have photos from the MAC website - they haven't opted to take photos of the actual brush you will be getting. Also, ones I have seen, the MAC logo is too close to the ferrule. Sometimes the font is too big on fake brushes as well. If you own some MAC brushes, just look at yours. You can tell when you see a fake usually. Also, a lot of fake brushes are detectable by the appearance of their bristles. The 187 is soft but it is not a super shiney brush fibre. Some fakes I have seen have a lot of fraying around the fibre area, which is not how the 187 should look.

Best of luck - but in my opinion, better to buy from the MAC store. This way, if something goes wrong with it you can take it back. I know MAC has had a lot of hits and misses with 187 brushes. Some stocks are great while others have issues such as fibres breaking and falling out. Best to proctect yourself as this brush is a long time expensive investment.

Hope this helps!
smiles.gif

chako012

Hi the photo they provided was a mac photo so I had no idea either way they could have a real photo and send you a fake product. I wasn't as caustious as I could be becuase fake 187's are not as widely discussed as eyeshadows so let my guard down.
An yes it was a UK seller I think you might know who it is...they are a fairly large selling with a high number of transactions so...
its just that the 187's are so expensive here in Australia..

Latest posts