Has anyone ever worked for Chanel or Lancome at Macy's or in general? HELP?!

I went into Macy's recently to visit my old co-worker who is now a counter manager at Cargo where I used to freelance. I asked her if she had anything open, she replied, some freelance hours is opening up as well a part-time position with Macy's as a beauty advisor at Cargo.

So, I came in for the interview at Macy's a couple of days later and had the Cargo business manager walk me upstairs to human resources. She explained to me that human resources makes the decision on whom to hire for permanent positions.

So, I met with the big cosmetics manager (just said hello, introduced myself) and then I met with a HR rep. She was very friendly. Did the most of the talking, didn't really ask much because I told her I had five years experience. Glad she didn't waste my time or hers asking questions that we both knew I knew the answer to. She asked me if I was open to full-time or if I had any schedule restrictions. I told her no but I knew Cargo had something open definitely and since I freelanced for them, it was more of a sure thing.

So, she explained the process to me and stressed that Macy's makes the decision on whom they think is the best fit for the brand. She said ft positions were opening up at Chanel as well as Lancome and she "doesn't want me to limit my options because I have so much experience". Which I thought was nice but since the business manager told me that she needed to fill the position by friday, which tomorrow makes friday. . .it would have been the last of the interview process for me. She told me that the other counter managers should be in touch with me within one to two weeks which I think is really long. Then to have to keep interviewing is rather time consuming and costly. I need a job so what can I do? Nothing. I did keep stressing the Cargo position to her but she kept stressing "best fit". I looked very Audrey Hepburn, basic black dress (think breakfast at tiffany's), pearls. A very classic look so I can see why she thought Chanel. I don't wear nor no anything about Chanel make-up. Not against it but ignorant.

When I left the HR rep (the interview had to be a total of five minutes), I ran into the business manager again and she said it happens because sometimes you're "overqualified".

My concern is that, she set up these interviews with these other counter managers and what if they don't think I'm a good fit? Does Macy's still make the final decision? If they thought I was so great why do they need to have you interview and demo with the counters and then discuss my performance? I'm a little confused on that. If she is so sure I was the best fit for Chanel or Lancome then she should of hired me and just sent me there.

What if that does happen and the Cargo position gets filled? Has anyone ever had that happen to them?

Also, can anyone share their experiences with working/interviewing for Chanel or Lancome? Would you work for Lancome or Chanel? Do you think I have to do a demo or just another interview?

Also, since I have a lot of experience and I would be working for Chanel or Lancome instead of Cargo which is a trendier brand. . .is there more pay? What is the commission structure at Macy's?

HELP!!!!!
th_confused_new.gif

Any help would be appreciated!!!

SmokeSignal16

I work part time for Clinique, and it was Clinique's decision to let Macy's hire me. I know for Lancome they have gift 4 times a year so there's good money to be had there. We don't have a Chanel at my store so I can't quite say how they do. And Lancome didn't require a demo for this one girl they just hired, but the Account Coordinator or Executive came out and kind of gave her a run through of the products and also kind of see where her skills are at makeup application. I think it depends on the brand when it comes to who they will let Macy's hire, but Macy's can accept or decline who the brand wants to hire, if that makes sense. Be prepared to sell credit cards like crazy though! As far as commission goes I can't say because I think it greatly varies on the store and how much business they get. For me my store is considered a 'C' store (it's small, not usually busy at all) so I get a pretty ok base pay plus 3.5% comission off of what I sell. But like I said it might vary depending on the store.

Nzsallyb

With Chanel, they are picky about their employees appearance. this includes:
-the only jewerly worn can be either chanel, pearls, or wedding rings
-you musnt carry a labelled hangbag (designer) that isnt chanel
-hair is only allowed out if it is above the shoulder, no fringes
-pantyhose must be worn at all times (with summer and winter colours)

i think that is all i can remeber at the moment

Boasorte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzsallyb

guess I won't be applying at Chanel, they have a bunch of openings at my Nordstrom

Nzsallyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
guess I won't be applying at Chanel, they have a bunch of openings at my Nordstrom

dont count chanel out, you get a wicked discount on their products (handbags, shoes, clothes etc), and they are a great company to work for. you just have to be well presented, i loved it

metal_romantic

Quote:

I think these rules are completely reasonable.

-Jewelery: They just wouldn't want employees wearing accessories that don't fit with the Chanel image. And besides, you have to wear a MAC necklace to work if you work at MAC.
-Handbags: Obviously it's not appropriate to be seen going to and from your job at Chanel carrying a competitor's bag.
-Hair: You don't want it to get in your way when you are applying makeup. Also, the focus needs to be on your face/makeup.
-Hoisery: This gives a more professional look. It's pretty standard.

Boasorte

Quote:
dont count chanel out, you get a wicked discount on their products (handbags, shoes, clothes etc), and they are a great company to work for. you just have to be well presented, i loved it

Well I wouldn't mind applying there, but they want professional MUA, and I'm not one
ssad.gif

Which is crazy to me, because I pass thru these counters nd I see ppl working there with badly applied makeup, does that even make sense?

Nzsallyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
Well I wouldn't mind applying there, but they want professional MUA, and I'm not one
ssad.gif

Which is crazy to me, because I pass thru these counters nd I see ppl working there with badly applied makeup, does that even make sense?

have they asked specifically for MUA in the application? i wasnt one (and still arent) when i worked there, they really like someone that is passionate about the brand. it cannot hurt to try.

Boasorte

Quote:
have they asked specifically for MUA in the application? i wasnt one (and still arent) when i worked there, they really like someone that is passionate about the brand. it cannot hurt to try.

Yup, said so on Craigslist, I'm kind of bummed about it, because since I don't have experience they will most likely not hire me. But I have applied to like 4 Sephoras
graucho.gif

Hmm I might take a shot at the Lancome counter in MACYS now that I think of it. I don't think they look for professional MUA

lilMAClady

I work for Clinique at Macy's and when a position came open in Lancome the counter manager interviewed people but ulitimately our HR department was the one that did the choosing.

metal_romantic

They are all really tough here in Australia- some want MA's, and even though I have 8 years of retail experience (in fashion, makeup and more, but not at a counter) and will become a certified MA in a couple of months, they say I can't have a job as I don't have "experience". I would love to work for Lancome or Chanel.
It sounds a lot easier where you are. So there is no harm in trying (if they don't specifically ask for MA's.) Focus on what you CAN do. I think a lot of the companies would be looking for good sales people whom they can train in the cosmetics side of things. Good luck.
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeSignal16
I work part time for Clinique, and it was Clinique's decision to let Macy's hire me. I know for Lancome they have gift 4 times a year so there's good money to be had there. We don't have a Chanel at my store so I can't quite say how they do. And Lancome didn't require a demo for this one girl they just hired, but the Account Coordinator or Executive came out and kind of gave her a run through of the products and also kind of see where her skills are at makeup application. I think it depends on the brand when it comes to who they will let Macy's hire, but Macy's can accept or decline who the brand wants to hire, if that makes sense. Be prepared to sell credit cards like crazy though! As far as commission goes I can't say because I think it greatly varies on the store and how much business they get. For me my store is considered a 'C' store (it's small, not usually busy at all) so I get a pretty ok base pay plus 3.5% comission off of what I sell. But like I said it might vary depending on the store.

Hi. . .Thanks for your post! I really really appreciate it. Macy's is taking a long time to schedule my second interview but they did that last time and I got a job at Sephora before they called me back. . .So, I ended up applying at Lord & Taylor whom called me back immediately and I interviewed with their cosmetics area sales manager. She walked me right downstairs to the Clinique business manager to interview. Go figure! It went well and immediately she scheduled me for an interview with the Account Executive. Is that the final step you think? Also, she scheduled me a talent plus interview. Please advise me on this! Also, the business manager gave me the low down about the pressure and commitment that is expected for working at her counter. She said it's the number one counter at LT. How do you pull clients? What are the goals like? The experience? Training? The benefits, the perks? Work environment? Etc. She mentioned her current staff is working 70 hours per week because they are doing gift understaffed. I'm used to working with more trendier lines. I never worked on commission before, how much of your paycheck is made of commission? I would love to be prepared and any advice would be useful and I would be grateful
th_confused_new.gif
!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilMAClady
I work for Clinique at Macy's and when a position came open in Lancome the counter manager interviewed people but ulitimately our HR department was the one that did the choosing.

Hello! I ended up applying to Lord and Taylor and they sent me immediately to interview with the business manager. Now I have my second interview next week. Can you please tell me more about your experience, training, talent plus? Etc. I would really appreciate it!!!

SmokeSignal16

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.CheartsMe
Hi. . .Thanks for your post! I really really appreciate it. Macy's is taking a long time to schedule my second interview but they did that last time and I got a job at Sephora before they called me back. . .So, I ended up applying at Lord & Taylor whom called me back immediately and I interviewed with their cosmetics area sales manager. She walked me right downstairs to the Clinique business manager to interview. Go figure! It went well and immediately she scheduled me for an interview with the Account Executive. Is that the final step you think? Also, she scheduled me a talent plus interview. Please advise me on this! Also, the business manager gave me the low down about the pressure and commitment that is expected for working at her counter. She said it's the number one counter at LT. How do you pull clients? What are the goals like? The experience? Training? The benefits, the perks? Work environment? Etc. She mentioned her current staff is working 70 hours per week because they are doing gift understaffed. I'm used to working with more trendier lines. I never worked on commission before, how much of your paycheck is made of commission? I would love to be prepared and any advice would be useful and I would be grateful
th_confused_new.gif
!!!!!

Well for the Lord and Taylor end of things I cannot say like how much commission is, or some of their perks will be. I can say the Clinique end of things lol. Account Executive is the end of the line with interviews, Talent Plus isn't anything to be afraid of it just asks you questions of your experience with customer service and stuff. It basically measures how you will fit in the company, like mine is Service oriented and there are other descriptions but honestly that doesn't matter too much. Clinique gives you pretty decent training on the products, but makeup training/application is something they should work on! You will get gratis which is a spending amount given to you from Clinique to shop from online, if your part time it's like $175, and then full time I believe is $235? but it may vary by region and such, also there are contests for various things so you may get bonus gratis every now and then. Clinique spoils their consultants so it's pretty cool. For pulling customers just approach them nicely and just see if there's maybe a color look you could do with them or ask them about any concerns they may have with skin care. Although I would wait to do the pulling customer thing till after you get trained some so you know some of your stuff and can talk with your client pretty accurately. I hope this helps you out of some of your questions, good luck and feel free to ask any more!
smiles.gif