How much do bloggers influence your purchases?

AutumnMoon

I appreciate how much time and effort bloggers put into their reviews. However, it is clear that some people like certain brands, and all others brands will get a bad rating. Some bloggers have personal politics that weigh on their reviews. Some have bad lighting, some are the sweetest people you'd ever meet and they give everything a high grade. I like to read blogs for the readers comments and the swatches, although I take those with a grain of salt. We are definitely better for having them, however, I just use them as light reference or entertainment, if that makes sense.

Specktra is where I go to see reviews, swatches on every girl with every style and coloring :)

cakewannaminaj

Before purchasing a product, no matter how expensive or affordable this product is, I always like to look up reviews and swatches from bloggers all around the world; but I don't 100% rely on their reviews and swatches. Because 1. everyone have their own opinions on a product, some may absolutely die for it, some may think it's the worst they have ever tried and sometimes not all products work on all skin types etc and 2. different lightings could affect the photos and swatches. Just as long as I can get idea what what it's like, the color and formula etc :)

Beauty Nerd

I like to read what other bloggers have to say about a product before buying it. I don't just rely on one blogger to decide on whether or not I should purchase a product, I like to like to check out 2 or 3 more to see what they have to say.

Pippilotta

When it comes to buying makeup, I might as well live on the moon. If I want something, I often have to order it unseen so I go to bloggers for color swatches - especially of lipsticks and nailpolish. I won't say that they influence my buying a lot though. Normally, I know what I want, and if I think a new Chanel nail polish looks like any other melon colored polish, no amount of enthusiasm from bloggers who claim to have found the "perfect, unique, never seen before, one and only coral" polish will change my mind.

I am probably a little more influenced by negative than by positive reviews. If two hundred women say that a certain foundation from a brand, I normally like, is impossible to blend, I don't order it untried which I might have done otherwise. On the other hand two hundred women raving about the latest MAC whatever won't influence me at all because I don't like the brand that much to begin with (hiding under my bed).

meleftie

I'm most influenced by YouTube tutorials. I have drawers of a certain color or product that was raved about for one look that I never use again. The negative blogger reviews do also have an impact I've not ordered something based on those.

MandyVanHook

I'd say fairly greatly. But not just one, I actually look at the reviews from several and from make up communities, too. I have, on occasion, gone out on a limb for a product despite the reviews and so far I haven't been disappointed. So I say take all things into consideration. Some things may look great on you and not everyone else, right?

bubbleheart

Moderately. Mostly for swatches. I like seeing new things and getting accurate pictures of them...then if it still looks good I either will go check it out in person or buy it if its REALLY looking perfect. Its very useful especially for ordering online, but its less one bloggers perception as being able to see a bunch of people who got it and making sure it looks similar to how Im hoping across the board. There have been times a really pretty photo or swatch has persuaded me to buy something new, but Ive never just bought something because people rave about it, I have to really like it for me, not just because its popular.

DILLIGAF

Rather than getting purely interested in a product by only bloggers, I'd say that specktra has had a large part in convincing me to try new items! I mean, some people are even more talented in reviewing or describing the product then the more 'professional' bloggers.

Yeah, other Specktra-ites have been more influential for me than bloggers.

Quote: Originally Posted by mosha010

I go to bloggers for techniques and stuff. But I rely on the posts here for reviews...
Like these ladies said I get more information from Specktra than any where else. I also trust what some of these ladies have to say more than professional bloggers. I turn to blogs for information on new and upcoming products. However there are at least 2 youtubers that will have me running to the store to look at something. The fancyfaced and DRBrooklyn730. Lord help my wallet when they do a haul video.

shontay07108

^^ I like DRBrooklyn730 a lot. She's one of the first youtube gurus I found back in the day and really liked. I also dig some other girls: Batalash and Allison Wilburn MUA. I already know what I'm into so I don't really pay attention to many reviews be it here or on a blog. I just want swatches and then maybe, if it's a foundation, find out if someone thinks it's best for oily or dry skin. I like to find out the texture or scent of things, but someone raving about it or talking it down won't really move me. If I'm interested in something, I'll check it out no matter what.

Sarah Allen

I have to say I do rely on blogger reviews a fair amount. I like to get different opinions about a specific product I'm interested in. Temptalia is one I can always rely on for an honest opinion and her swatches are impeccable. A lot of my decision making stems from swatches, though I obviously try to see the product in real life and swatch it as well. However, that 's not always an option with LE items. The Nars Narcissist palette was a palette that looked beautiful but reviews panned it so much that I skipped ordering it online and waited to see it in store, and boy, am I glad I did. The color payoff was atrocious IMO and not what I'm used to from the better Nars shades. Yet, NikkieTutorials from Youtube liked it, as well as the Bobbi Brown Rich Chocolate palette which also had reviews of being less pigmented and fussy to work with. So, all in all, I think blogger reviews keep me from ordering a product before it hits stores if the review if poor, so I can swatch it myself to see if I agree. If the review is glowing, then it's usually a green light.

matchachoco

I use blogs as guidelines but tend to come to my own decisions about products. Like many people here, the ladies and gentlemen of Specktra convince me to buy or not to buy more often than bloggers. The biggest trend I've noticed is that if I don't read blogs or visit Specktra, I don't buy anything! So even though I won't let a negative review stop me from buying something I want, reading reviews has a positive correlation with me buying lots of makeup. You can't want something if you aren't aware of it! That's why if I'm doing a nobuy or lowbuy, I tend to go dark!

foxxylatina07

I think for me it's 50/50. I usually look up reviews, swatches, and videos and if I can get to the store I like to look at it in person and swatch the product. If I don't like it, it's usually a no go. I admit that in the past I've given in to the hype and then regret it afterwards (not always the case.) However, I've learned to control it especially if the product is permanent. For example with MAC I've curved giving them my money because most of their limited edition colors look similar to me so it makes no sense buying repeats. I guess that's why I do my research before giving into a purchase.

Paint&Ink Chick

When I started getting more into the Mac and other collections, I liked the recs by certain bloggers. Like Calla stated some bloggers that have a different skin tone, swatches may be different on my skin. I kinda go off of if I like the, will use the product or can view in person. I luv the swatches though.

Erica53094

I read Paula Choice reviews bc she looks past the marketing nonsense which is almost always exaggerated and bunk and mostly bc she goes over ingredient lists which is important to me. I look at Temptalia slightly. Not so much MUA. Most importantly you have to keep in mind reviewers have their own biases and their own interests when it comes to makeup that may be different than what you are interested. Yes colors look different on different skin tones. And I am weary of the "it" products bc I find they are not something I must run to the store to buy in most cases!

soonari

Quite a bit I would say. I especially enjoy Temptalia's reviews but I do google around for other reviews for products I'm interested in buying.