How much would you charge for a photoshoot?

blanchebow

Hey everyone,

I got offered a job taking for a photographer for a shoot of hers. I'm not sure what to charge her. She's no David LaChapelle or anything, she's a student at an art school in her third year. What would you guys charge?

I don't think I'm staying around for touch ups, maybe the max I will be there is for about 2 hours so I'm def. not thinking by the hour, and she's not asking me to do anything extreme. Just basics.

Thanks in advance!

DaizyDeath

most models dont charge the photographers the photographers charge the models haha

usually its they take your picture and what you get in return is a copy of the pictures for your portfolio.

At least thats how its done when you first start out as a model as you become more well known then people pay you

I never charged when i was a model beacuse i did it for fun and charging would have put pressure on me to do certain things beacuse they were paying me.

i hope i helped a little

hellaparties

OOPS maybe I wasn't clear.... I meant that I was doing makeup for her, for her model!

Thanks though!
smiles.gif

MisStarrlight

Most students don't pay money for their MUAs. They tend to do TFP/TFCD. So basically you do the makeup & get prints or a cd of the images.
Did she mention money or are you assuming that she's going to pay you? If the latter, I would check with her before you consider the job (unless prints/cd is good payment for you). For something like this, I usually ask the photographer to cover transportation & a kit fee...so like $50....unless it turns into a spec shoot or something. Then even if she doesn't mention it, you should ask for something based on how much she sells the images for.

Henna_Spirit

if the photographer is just building up her portfolio, i'd do it TFP/TFCP basis. Maybe asking to cover travel costs, but i wouldn't concider a job like this if it was far travel anyways.
but if she hinted or sort of mentioned payment it would be best to ask her upfront to clarify first
smiles.gif

aeni

I work with a student photog for free in fun artsy shoots, but we work together for $ doing actors headshots and other portraiture.

She charges $70 for actor headshots (she does more work than me overall). I just charge $50 and stick around for touchups and help the actor get comfortable with their poses.

Mostly I get them to smile really easily and tickle their ears to get rid of the shine.

NikkiHorror

There are two kinds of shoots, PAID and TFP/TFCD.

If the Photographer offered to pay you, it's most likely a special service for the model that she is paying for, a paid shoot. The photog will give you a percentage of what she's paying him, (you should get around $50 for makeup only, $100+ for makeup and hair.) Sometimes the model tips you, too.

Most likely it's a TFP/TFCD shoot, where the photog will expect your services for free, but order in lunch (pizza or something) for all of you and then give you about 4 professional pictures of your choice.

Photoshoots are generally pretty long if you're going to stay and wait for your pictures and help the photog clean up and such (about 5 hours). If he/she just wants you to do the makeup and leave, you might never get your photos! This is why it's important not to drive 100 miles to do a TFP/TFCD shoot unless you REALLY want those pictures for your portfolio.