lil worried

Chelly

bare with me, i'm slightly intoxicated....

i graduate college this semester. and the job market blows. i'm SO worried that i'm not going to get a job.. i go to school for video/television production, specifically editing. nobody needs an editor. and those that have been editing have been doing it since hte beginning of time (or so it seems) ahh this is miserable - to think i went to four years of college and i have no f'n clue what the hell im gonan do when i graduate. ;alsdkjfas;df

ssad.gif
th_crazy.gif
:crap:

blueyedlady87

AAAawm I'm sorry hun. Maybe you could start off in the company you want to want at as a receptionist or something and then move up? I'm going to beauty college next year and I'm just worried that no place will need a hair dresser/nail lady.
ssad.gif
Its hard business to crack into. After I get some years of retail expierience (and more practice at makeup!!) I want to apply at MAC. Thats my dream job. Anyways, good luck!!

professionaltart

Well, I graduated in..May 2005 started college as Pre-Med Bio, graduated in IT and went into Finance. I took all my stockbroking exams and lost my job cause of relocation and now i work for MAC. Take things as they come, dont worry too much you're only like...20/21? 22?

people never get jobs within theyre major and i really slaved my 4 yrs away into some real nerdy stuff and look what im doing now.

i love makeup but im gonna start recirculating my resume around again.

If you graduate in May u need to start lookin for a job or an internship now so you have a better chance when that diploma comes. That's my advice.

mspixieears

It depends just how much you want it too.

At the moment, I'm not well enough to work, but I do volunteer work in my desired field which will look good on my resume for when I am able to work. That's not the only reason I'm doing it of course.

You've just got to keep looking for things and even consider semi-professional appointments (working for local community etc.) which could lead to fully professional contacts.

If you really want to do editing, then just keep trying to find a job in it! The ones doing it now aren't going to live forever. If it's not your driving passion then I don't know what I can tell you...

As professionaltart as indicated, things NEVER turn out as we plan. I thought I'd be studying musicology at a British university by now, not stuck in Australia unable to work. Don't know if things happen for a reason, but our ideas of success and actually reaching it are two very different paths.

IslandGirl77

One of my freinds is a editor. She just finished school last year. She started off working for a company that does weddings. While she was still in school. She just landed a job in Georgia for a small t.v. station. And she also does freelance work from home. Have you ever thought about doing some freelance editing. I know it's frustrating though, I hate looking for jobs. Maybe you can try and look for companies in your town that do weddings and stuff. Somebody's gotta give you a chance. Hang in there.
smiles.gif

Pink_minx

Dont worry about it, my bf's mom got a bachelors degree at UC Davis and she has worked so many jobs, she used to be a school teacher, christian singer, horse shoer, nurse, and god what else she hasnt done! You can do anything with the education that you got, have fun with it and dont worry about that one thing there's so many things you can do out there.

joytheobscure

Look at small markets???? www.kswo.com , they were just advertising this job on TV last week- they had a editing job. The pay sucks but its a "b" - I dunno what you call it but its a small military town (80,000 ) serving SW Oklahoma... Ft. Sill/Lawton area... I know they post their openings. We're hicks but the cost of living in Oklahoma is VERY low. Housing is cheap ($200+ a month) and utilities arent' bad. Plus the weather is warm and only three hours from Dallas/Ft.Worth . A degree works wonders though I imagine in NY you can find a lot of things but thought I'd throw this out there for you to look at.

joytheobscure

BTW I'm a teacher and to get my first job I had to move out of state to get experience in a place where a need was then when I came back two years later it was much easier to land interviews and find work.

inlucesco

Consider grad school if you have the passion and can afford it. Some jobs look much more kindly on people with more schooling. I second the volunteer/intership suggestions, too - networking is essential.

Good luck!

giz2000

Whatever you do, find something you love to do. There is nothing worse than working in a crappy job that you hate to go to every day.

I have a LOT of education under my belt (two BAs and two MAs) and now I work for MAC...why? Because it took me a long time to admit to myself that I love makeup and that's what I want to do for a living. Will I be doing this forever? Probably not, but life's too short to have a crappy job!

Chelly

WELL lil update - i have an interview tomorrow morning at 10 am.. its 12:50 am right now, for an internship at ABC. it'll be in the casting dept.... i'm SO nervous!! and i never get nervous for interviews! this is BIG for me though.. so anyways i'll probably get the internship because i'm nice like that but it'd be nice if you guys coudl cross yoru fingas for me <33