Moved to a new area and Jobless

blazeno.8

Ok, so I usually don't start threads in here so this is kind of odd. I moved to the SF Bay Area for school and my school secured funding for me to attend summer school. They also got funding for me to have a small stipend, but the stipend is REALLY small. With the fact that I had to move, pay rent, AND start up a bunch of services (utilities, internet, security deposit) I've had to ask my family for extra help which is something I don't like to do. I know that they have their own issues with money and I don't need to add to that.

I've even stopped buying a bunch of things that I don't need. I haven't purchased any MAC in a while (even though I've been drooling over it) and most of my purchases now consist of food, supplies (which included a brand new textbook with 33 pages missing right in the middle), and for the most part I use my ID card to take the bus or I walk (because I don't want to have to pay for gas). At the same time, it's not all that easy because I am away from my friends and family and making new connections with people here so I do need to socialize to some extent which might include spending money.

I have been looking for a job online for quite sometime and I haven't found anything that I can do as a student. Most stuff is full time or smack in the middle of the day which would cut through classes. I've had over 7 years experience in education (including tutoring Spanish, German, English L.A., ESL, and elementary Math), 4 years experience with retail, and I've occasionally done hair modeling for in salon seminars. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do for employment or where I should look online? Is this area more in tune to person-person job search and personal connections?

Oh yes, one more caveat: It's all online job searching because as I was about to print out a little flyer I realized that my printer has waged war against my computer and everything else is some rediculous fee like over 10 cents a page.

cyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeno.8
I have been looking for a job online for quite sometime and I haven't found anything that I can do as a student. Most stuff is full time or smack in the middle of the day which would cut through classes. I've had over 7 years experience in education (including tutoring Spanish, German, English L.A., ESL, and elementary Math), 4 years experience with retail, and I've occasionally done hair modeling for in salon seminars. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do for employment or where I should look online? Is this area more in tune to person-person job search and personal connections?

Have you checked your school for jobs? I don't know what school you're attending, but if it's UC Berkeley there should be plenty of tutoring jobs inside the school. I got one at my own college and it held me out for a while. Or you could tutor outside of school and charge like $20/hour.
smiles.gif

Anyways, the Bay Area is HUUUUGE! What area are you in? This could really help cause I think looking for jobs in the North Bay (Napa, Yountville) would really differ from looking in places like Cupertino and Union City.

blazeno.8

I did go to the school and the tutoring jobs that they have available are only in certain areas. I already talked with the head of the program and most of the stuff that I would tutor in was filled or had state funding cut many many years ago. I went to the Spanish and German department and requested that my name be put on a list of tutors (actually they offered to do that when I inquired about how tutoring works for foreign languages).

I'm on the eastside near the Oakland, Emeryville, Berkeley area. Because I have a car, El Cerrito isn't that far either.

cyan

Quote:
I did go to the school and the tutoring jobs that they have available are only in certain areas. I already talked with the head of the program and most of the stuff that I would tutor in was filled or had state funding cut many many years ago. I went to the Spanish and German department and requested that my name be put on a list of tutors (actually they offered to do that when I inquired about how tutoring works for foreign languages).

I'm on the eastside near the Oakland, Emeryville, Berkeley area. Because I have a car, El Cerrito isn't that far either.

Oh nooo! I'd say definitely check back before the semester/quarter begins just in case you haven't gotten a job yet. My school hires right before the semester starts.

There should be plenty of jobs in Emeryville, Berkeley since it's a college area. Craigslist is a great listing for jobs in the area and you can put up your own listing on there for tutoring.
greengrin.gif

blazeno.8

Yeah, I'm definitely going to keep trying, but the problem is I still have to pay the bills coming up this month and get all of my identification switched over to Californian stuff (which in some cases costs a pretty penny).

cyan

Quote:
Yeah, I'm definitely going to keep trying, but the problem is I still have to pay the bills coming up this month and get all of my identification switched over to Californian stuff (which in some cases costs a pretty penny).

YES!! I so know what you mean!! I think fees increased at the DMV -- which is EXPENSIVE at the first place. And out of state fees are incredibly expensive for students. Eeeergh!

There's so many more jobs in the Bay Area than there is in the Valley.
ssad.gif
You checked to see if the Westfield Mall / clothing stores in SF.