new mac policy?

MACgirl

i went in today to get my app but the MA that was thier told me she'd love to but she was told they cant give out any apps unless i had a resume and portfolio with me on hand, that way they could look at it. i thought we didnt need portfolios?

foreveratorifan

mmm i dont know! i know when i went in I had a resume and portfolio just because I thought it would be more professional and I wanted to show my work....

but that really stinks!

galvanizer

I think it all depends on where you go. Perhaps some counters go so many application requests that having a portfolio kind of pre-screens your abilities and helps shorten the list faster? It must be frustrating having to go through a ton of resumes trying to decide who to call in to interview.

Then again, i was at a Pro store just the other day and the girl who helped me had no formal makeup training at all... but she'd been a model for MAC before and I guess did some self-employed freelancing work before. Sometimes it all comes down to connections too...

just my thoughts...

sissypooh

pro store

Just an added note, people who work at pro-stores don't have to be makeup artists because they sale things FOR the makeup artists. As far as applications, my only guess is it must be a really busy counter. What city is this?

pumpkincat210

Thats strange. I know in Texas they have to give you an application, otherwise its discrimination and illegal. However they don't have to hire you by any means..

MACgirl

San diego, and its a mac store, thier are actually two mac stores around me and the one about 20 mins away from me gets insanely busy but the one i want to work at is 5 mins away and never gets as busy as the one thats 20 mins away. Im putting together a smashing portfolio so hopefully they'll be blown away...

ladydanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissypooh
Just an added note, people who work at pro-stores don't have to be makeup artists because they sale things FOR the makeup artists. As far as applications, my only guess is it must be a really busy counter. What city is this?

sissy, all the people at a pro store are makeup artists ( with the exception of a stock person). But pro stores do sometimes call in freelancers for busy event days or just as on-call status.

HanBox20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissypooh

the people tha twork at the pro store are like amazing makeup artist they're the people that are going to get sent out to accutally do makeup events for mac (low key ones of course all the high publicity stuff will go to the senior artists and trainors) Not only are they makeup artists but they help give the pro classes...they're the most hands on of any mac salesperson.

Latest posts