retail experience

kimmy

i've been trying to get a job in retail for a little over a year now, with no luck. seems like everyone wants someone with experience...but um, if nobody will give me a chance i can't get that haha.

i know mac wants someone who's got experience with retail. i know i could do the job, but i'm afraid that when i go apply in six months they won't even bother because i'm afraid i probably STILL won't be able to find a job.

so i'm wondering, is there anything you can do to let them know you can do the job without having retail experience?

User20

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ANTHEM
i've been trying to get a job in retail for a little over a year now, with no luck. seems like everyone wants someone with experience...but um, if nobody will give me a chance i can't get that haha.

lmao me too - 2 1/2 years running and no retail job offered for the reason "you don't have retail experience" or, and this is just funny, "you're too smart." Nonetheless, I have heard that if you do work and deal with people it is still possible (My friends friend got a job there with little retial experience but she's got great application, knowledge and people skills) ! Otherwise, just keep trying, but I do understand you situation
smiles.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkincat210
My first job was a hostess at a restaraunt. that or a grocery store those are easy ways to get job experience!

I was just thinking about the retail jobs you mentioned. I've always considered retail being someone who's directly involved in the selling, like pushing of a product (i.e. in clothing stores, jewellery), not necessarily someone who's a hostess, etc. b/c that would just involve customer service. So is there a difference?

Savannah Banana

How many months?

How many months of retail experience do you need to have to work for MAC? I've been with VS for 7 months. Do I need more time?

I'm new btw, hi!

pumpkincat210

I was just thinking about the retail jobs you mentioned. I've always considered retail being someone who's directly involved in the selling, like pushing of a product (i.e. in clothing stores, jewellery), not necessarily someone who's a hostess, etc. b/c that would just involve customer service. So is there a difference?[/quote]

Yes, there is a difference from retail/sales and food service, but both require good customer service. Both jobs you will be working directly with the public. I don't know about the state you live in but in texas grocery stores and other places hire younger and have more workable shifts to allow for school.
Also the main theft problems come from employees, so maybe they figure the older you are the more responsible?
Oh it all depends on where you are applying, but dress code is a biggie for most places and wearing open toed shoes to an interview is a no no.
And smile, a lot.

FacesbyNiki

Try getting a job in a little store, or something. If the big department stores don't hire you get one in the mall with one of those small shops. They are always hiring younger people with little to no retail experience. :p

User20

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacesbyNiki
Try getting a job in a little store, or something. If the big department stores don't hire you get one in the mall with one of those small shops. They are always hiring younger people with little to no retail experience. :p

THE ANTHEM as I said above if you can't find the retail experience give it a shot anyways, just try and find a job that deals with the public in some way.

I understand you dilemma. Stores like Walmart won't hire me, nor will stores in malls (clothing stores, book stores, department stores), but I'm able to get public positions as a leader and guide. I deal with the public on a daily basis and do all the things someone in retail does except "sell" and item (money-wise b/c you do have to give some pitch for things). So just try to find a public position and work from there, it might be your best option.

shabdebaz

I've mentioned this before in some post a while ago, that MAC looks for a bunch of different things when hiring a candidate. I had very little retail experience but quite a bit of customer service experience...I was in healthcare for a long time. So, in the interview, I emphasized my customer service skills. Also, you have to be very enthusiastic, professional, trendy and passionate about makeup artistry. I ended up getting the job. Try to find a job that will have you performing a service, I think that will count as something. Good luck.

Isis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah Banana
How many months of retail experience do you need to have to work for MAC? I've been with VS for 7 months. Do I need more time?

I'm new btw, hi!

When an employer is looking at your resume for retail experience, they're not so much looking at how long you've been at a place, but what you've done there, your contributioins, & do you have what it takes for their store.
Also, yes, they do look at how long you've been at a job (or jobs). My advise is stick arouind untill it's been a year or so. Because what that says to your next potential boss is that you don't hop jobs.

Welcome to Specktra!