SOS! Part-timer from hell

heatherannjay

I'm a new CM for EL and my super new part-timer is crazy (I started in June and she's about to have her 60day). She's constantly underminding me at the counter- everything I ask her to do she completely ignores. She picks fights and condescends other BAs in our department including the department manager! She will not take responsiblty for her actions and I spend the better part of each day putting out fires with customers and other BAs she's offended. She forgets conversations and invents some out of nowhere and swears they've taken place. Last week she got in my face and screamed at me while we were standing at the counter. Plus, she takes samples and hides them in her drawer without consulting me- including a bag from our GWP (we just started presell). She's 30 years older then me and has never worked retail let alone cosmetic retail (she told another CM that being a "clerk" was beneath her). I'm finding it harder and harder to get her on task and find myself dreading the days our shifts overlap. What should I do? I'm honestly at a loss because I feel my hands are tied until upper management decides what to do about her.

DILLIGAF

She's 30 years older then me and has never worked retail let alone cosmetic retail (she told another CM that being a "clerk" was beneath her). I'm finding it harder and harder to get her on task and find myself dreading the days our shifts overlap. What should I do? I'm honestly at a loss because I feel my hands are tied until upper management decides what to do about her.
It's depends on where you work and what country. If she is under her 90 days ( the standard probationary period) you can still document her behavior each and every time you have to coach her for it. That way you will have a paper trail when her probationary time is up and can term her for not having fulfilled the duties she was hired to preform. In another way of saying she was not a good fit. Other CMs should do the same. Hopefully you will find someone that is a better fit for you.

lillakatt

I would actually talk to LP about her hiding samples because that's concealment. Employees aren't allowed to hide stuff that they plan to buy later and even though samples are free, they're 1) still designed to go with a purchase and 2) not for employees.

Does the rest of your department get along with you/each other? (i.e. is she the only one causing any drama in the department?) Because if everyone knows she's crazy, i feel like everyone either knows to avoid her/minimize contact with her or they will know soon. If I had a co-worker like that, I'd just minimize my contact with her - I wouldn't let it bother me because I know that her CM is aware of it/doing something about it.

For now, I'd work on minimizing her impact on the counter. Try to diffuse any fights with or in front of customers. I would ask to talk to your department manager specifically about her because while it sounds like she's aware, you might have to just tell her "there's a significant problem here." If you can demonstrate that she's having a significant negative impact on sales, they might fire her.

Honestly though, they could fire her just for the shady hiding thing.