Tips!

sissypooh

Hola Ladies!

I myself am a MAC Artist. I've been with MAC for two years. It's hard to get in, but it's all worth it. Here are some things that will help you when you go on your interview:

-Wear all black: (it's what we wear, so we can imagine you in the part.)

-Fierce Makeup: (you want to look good, but make sure that whatever you have on is blended and not overdone or comical)

-Bring some attitude: (most people think that doing makeup is all a MAC Gal (or Guy) does, but it's not true. you have to be able to SELL the makeup and make others want the cosmetics just as bad as you do! without personality, you are doomed)

-Relax: (it's okay to be nervous. don't hold it all in. you might not show what you are really capable of.)

-Don't Give UP!: (if you turn in an application, and you don't get a call for a while, don't worry. Check up on employee status every month. It took eight months before anyone called me. Sometimes people don't want to leave, so you have to wait for an open spot!)

-Knowledge: (do some research on the company besides what products MAC creates. think numbers, popularity, MAC charities, etc) THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT!

-Hope these help! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

MACgirl

wow really helpful!! thank you so much! i applied abotu 3 months ago and no call, im going to go in and check on employee status and fill another res out...thansk girl! btw ur eyes are awsome!!1

galvanizer

Thanks sissypooh!

I applied about a month ago but they weren't hiring at the time... in the meantime I got a job at a 'competitor' but to me MAC is the real prize I was going for. My career counsellor/recruiter at my makeup school discouraged me from focusing on MAC since "everyone wants to work there and the MA's already there aren't going anywhere else for a while"... so she got me an interview in a dept. store and I got a job at one of the 'other' counters....*sigh*

Still, any advice I can get is still valuable!! I'll get my feet wet so to speak here and hopefully in the future I'll have even a better chance. Thanks for the tips!!

sissypooh

The Real Deal

MAC is a funny company. Getting hired at MAC can be a long process, but getting noticed comes in many forms.

-I've known people who work for MAC and have never had any makeup experience (but could do makeup if they had to) and were hired more on personality than skill---this skill is perfected later and they really turn out to be great makeup artists

-I've known people who were ASKED to apply for a position because they had such great personality and the manager liked their energy

-I've known people that have worked in makeup their whole life and come into MAC crying they are so happy to be there

-Freelancers often are added in later when a spot is open (and freelancers need to understand that it is not about the makeup but the sale...this can hurt....if you don't pay attention to the customer's needs, you will never work fully as a MAC artist).

-I've known people who have been in the application line forever, and it finally rotates to their turn and then they get the job

As far as working at another counter, that is good. Two girls that work at my counter now use to work for Benefit. This will give you experience with the customers (although the MAC customer is far more demanding than most) and when you go back to interview for MAC, you will have expertise. The main thing is to keep trying! For six months our counter went through no employee change, then it went through a whirlwind, where 7 people left in a matter of 4 months (3 moved, 2 got pregnant, and 2 needed a break due to their heavy schedules.)
-Also, think about where your MAC counter is. If you are working in a BIG city where the MAC counter is very popular, then it is going to be harder to get into that counter. That is where experience is needed with customer service. And the best advice is, you got to look fierce. You got to grab the attention of the current employees. I'm not saying change who you are, but pump it up. You want to be noticed and remembered. Sorry this is so long. Any more questions?
smiles.gif

galvanizer

Great advice!!

There are two counters near me that i visit quite regularly to shop and I like to chat with the MA's so they pretty much know me. It seems like working for MAC is almost like winning the lottery! I won't give up on trying, that's for sure and I know the experience I'll get at the other company will only help me get a better footing in cosmetic sales in general.

Yeah, it can get a little frustrating for some people (me included) when you go to school to be a makeup artist and then find others didn't have to... but as you say there are different reasons for everyone.

In your opinion, what exactly is 'fierce' makeup? I know you'd want to stand out, but not be clownish. Is it about colour use? (obviously immaculate application) Maybe it's something you just "know when you see it". I always try to *look* at the makeup the MA's wear and it really varies from counter to counter! Some look quite minimal while others look a little 'out there'...

sissypooh

Fierce

I think the best way to describe it is to bring out your best feature. If you have great eyes, try to accentuate those with a vibrant color. If you have great lips bring those out. The thing is, you want someone to notice your face. Try to look at what the current trends are. Right now, a glowing shimmery face is the new thing. MAC's website has a couple of face charts on the current trends too. Think of it as selling yourself, just as if you already worked at MAC and you want to sell yourself to the customer. Does that help a little?

Latest posts