Vanity Upgrade!

sherm

For the first time I have a space designed around makeup! When we (my bf and I) moved into this apartment two years ago we were broke from just finishing college and made do with some cheap furniture bought from Craigslist and friends to start, upgrading here and there over time. Most recently I made myself a vanity space!

Below is my original "vanity." I actually really like the glass (and will likely make myself a permanent vanity space with glass shelves and tabletop when we become homeowners) but the unit was cumbersome and unwieldy for the amount of space it gave. And you can see my mirror peeking off from the left, that was annoying at times!

The new setup! I faced it toward the window for better lighting and I can see my mirror straight-on! It's an IKEA tabletop resting on a 5-drawer Alex unit with legs on the left-hand side. Compact enough to fit the room but SO much more space for my stuff.

Top drawer with foundations/concealers and everyday essentials.

Eye stuff.

Blush + lip drawer.

Makeup bags, backups, and samples! Drawer of fun times!

And I have a whole extra drawer with just a few palettes and a couple random items in it for now! I feel like I have loads of space to grow into. I plan to get some small dividers/organizers for the drawers so items aren't in there so loosely so it's an ongoing project (my favorite kind).

Thanks for letting me share! I've loved looking at everyone else's vanities for inspiration and am so pleased to have my very own now :)

dyingforyou

loving the desk! it seems small and compact but still big enough for a growing collection. think i'll have to check it out on ikea :]

sherm

Thanks guys! Yeah, it's SO much nicer to be facing the window, and it's definitely a good "small space" desk option. I got the smallest/cheapest VIKA tabletop, I think it's something like 23" deep and 40" wide but the drawers are really spacious! I was originally going to get two drawer units but I realize now that would have been total overkill. I'll grow into the one unit first ;)

HppyLittleNinja

This is a good set up! I love how bright and airy it feels.
I'll get there one day. Currently the only room with a good light source in my apt has too much furniture in it to accomodate a vanity area.

ps Where did you get that orange bag?

AngieM

Love how you can sit and do your makeup in front of the mirror with everything stashed away in the drawers to leave the table clear of clutter!

michelle37

For the first time I have a space designed around makeup! When we (my bf and I) moved into this apartment two years ago we were broke from just finishing college and made do with some cheap furniture bought from Craigslist and friends to start, upgrading here and there over time. Most recently I made myself a vanity space!

Below is my original "vanity." I actually really like the glass (and will likely make myself a permanent vanity space with glass shelves and tabletop when we become homeowners) but the unit was cumbersome and unwieldy for the amount of space it gave. And you can see my mirror peeking off from the left, that was annoying at times!

The new setup! I faced it toward the window for better lighting and I can see my mirror straight-on! It's an IKEA tabletop resting on a 5-drawer Alex unit with legs on the left-hand side. Compact enough to fit the room but SO much more space for my stuff.

Top drawer with foundations/concealers and everyday essentials.

Eye stuff.

Blush + lip drawer.

Makeup bags, backups, and samples! Drawer of fun times!

And I have a whole extra drawer with just a few palettes and a couple random items in it for now! I feel like I have loads of space to grow into. I plan to get some small dividers/organizers for the drawers so items aren't in there so loosely so it's an ongoing project (my favorite kind).

Thanks for letting me share! I've loved looking at everyone else's vanities for inspiration and am so pleased to have my very own now :)
nice set-up!