Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

shellygrrl

Staff member
Yay Team Low Buy 2015! :cheer: Copy-and-pasted from the previous thread... Where To Stop (No Buy)
  • Pre-Made Eyeshadow Palettes - Don't want or need any more.
  • Bronzers - Need to work through the two I have, not to mention I've got one blush that practically is a bronzer on me!
  • Concealer - I'm okay with the ones I have at the moment.
  • Eye Liners - The ones I have need to be used more.
  • Blushes - Going to focus on the ones I have.
  • Setting and Finishing Powders - Don't need either/or right now.
Where To Slow Down (Proceed with Caution)
  • Single Eyeshadows - Although I added several shades to my stash in 2014, I did notice a gap (this includes within pre-made palettes): matte transition(ish) shades. Even with my eye shape I think I can do with some. So I'd like to focus primarily on those sorts of colours. That said, I won't smack myself (much) if I buy a shade I'm lemming. And I'd like to complete the eyeshadow side of my MAC palette; I have five spots remaining. (I'm still wanting to separate it, and the blush side, into two singles.)
  • Lipliner - I spotted a gap here, too (I don't have a true purple lipliner). I can fill that.
  • Brow Products
  • Eyeshadow Primer - Replace/repurchase my NARS primer.
  • Lipgloss - If I run out of a colour I have, or if it goes bad, I can replace it. But I don't think I'll be adding any more.
  • Mascara - Two is a good number for me, and the ones I have are loves. Just repurchase when the time comes.
  • Cream Eyeshadows/Paint Pots - I'm looking at Tailor Grey to round out this part of my stash.
  • Lipstick - There are some shades I need to use a bit more (namely my reds!), and I still want to come up with additional lipliner/lipstick combos. I still want a few NARS Audacious lippies, but I'm not in much of a hurry to buy them.
Points of Focus
  • Pigments - Use the ones I have even more. I likely won't add to the number I have, but I'm not going to restrict myself from buying more, either.
  • Highlighter/Luminizer - I've got two (one liquid, one powder) I've been looking at.
  • Foundation Primer - There is one I have my eye on: Hourglass Veil Mineral. I'll get the little one to try out and see if I like it. Then I'll go from there.
  • Foundation - I'll likely be in the market for at least one new one next year. My CC cream has got to be nearing its end; my NARS one is aging; and the less said about my Maybelline, the better. I've got a few that I'm looking at, and at least one in particular that my radar is on.
  • Brushes - There is at least one gap I want to fill. Otherwise it's to look for better shapes to serve various purposes, or to supplement existing brushes, so I have a collection I love.
Miscellaneous
  • False Lashes - I don't wear them much, but they're something I'd like to delve into/play with a little bit more.

CrimsonQuill157

I'm in of course!

Leaving college has been a major financial wake up call for me. I'm not broke, but now it's hit me that I have to save, save, save, rather than spend, spend, spend. I've found that the desire to buy makeup has lessened quite a bit.

I need to inventory what I have, and then go from there. The only items I really lack are blushes and highlighters. If I'm going to spend this year, it should be on those. I won't rule out lipsticks, as much as I love them - however, I'm going to be working in a relatively conservative environment so if I do, I need to focus more on work friendly shades.

Here's to hoping this is a wonderful, successful year!

mel33t

Happy 2015 everyone!! I'm with tirurit on the goals. No stupid makeup purchases. I have five hot pink lipsticks, I don't need another. I also want to add for myself: - Use a mask at least 2x a month - No body lotions or shower gel purchases in 2015 until I've used up everything I have Hope you all had a great new years and wishing you all the best in 2015!!
Hey I'm in once more! My goals may seem conservative next to some of yours but it all boils down to
  • enjoy what I own
  • no stupid purchases (slight variations of shades, lured in by offers and sales, quantity vs quality, no backups!)
I've just downloaded the app that @veronikawithak  mentioned before so I am going to keep record of what I buy so I can later figure out my superfluous spendings!

SleepingBeauty

Hello again! I'm back as well.

The year started with MAC's Lightness of Being being launched over here. It's really difficult to withstand it! I don't like anything except for Perfect Topping. Normally, everything would've been sold out right now but this collection doesn't seem to be so popular, so everything's still in stock. I hope I can stay strong and not order anything!

B

Buffy89

Hello again! I'm back as well. The year started with MAC's Lightness of Being being launched over here. It's really difficult to withstand it! I don't like anything except for Perfect Topping. Normally, everything would've been sold out right now but this collection doesn't seem to be so popular, so everything's still in stock. I hope I can stay strong and not order anything!
I agree, it really surprises me how much is still in stock. Unexpectedly, I was in town today so I decided to go swatching in spite of my resolution not to do so. But hey, nothing really intrigued me (except for PT, which I ordered on Monday but it seemingly still needs to be shipped...well, the holidays). I love Lightscapade, but already own one, and although I usually like to get a blush, those were super glittery and the sparkle seemed not well integrated into the formula, just like a weird layer of glitter on a seperate layer of applied chalky color. Can't really express this in English. So I'll be patiently waiting for PT to arrive and I'm done. Unless Red Red Red collection will be available at my small b-counter, February's gonna be inexpensive as well, whoop!

After lurking for a long time I'm in as well
newhere.gif

I really want to try and use up my lip glosses and just get some regular use out of my mac pigments. I almost never reach for them and I have way too many to just have them stored at my vanity.

I also don't need any more blushes but unfortunately I usually gravitate towards those when new collections launch. I did manage to not buy that much in 2014. Hopefully I will buy even less this year. I think I've just come to realize that I actually prefer a smaller stash. I just don't want to have all these unused items sitting around.

mel33t

After lurking for a long time I'm in as well
newhere.gif
I really want to try and use up my lip glosses and just get some regular use out of my mac pigments. I almost never reach for them and I have way too many to just have them stored at my vanity. I also don't need any more blushes but unfortunately I usually gravitate towards those when new collections launch. I did manage to not buy that much in 2014. Hopefully I will buy even less this year. I think I've just come to realize that I actually prefer a smaller stash. I just don't want to have all these unused items sitting around.
Welcome!! :stars: I have a problem with blush too, I know the struggle. :sigh:

katred

Specktra Bestie
Hi everyone! I don't know that I'll be engaging in an actual low-buy this year, or at least I don't know what limits I'll place on myself aside from the ones that my budget will force on me anyway. However, I do have a few goals that should limit what I buy without me putting an official cap on purchases.

1. I want to make sure I wear every lipstick in my collection. I have a ridiculous number and I'm sure that I have worn some in a couple of years. I need to determine if there are any I want to retire and, before buying new ones, I want to know that I don't have any close dupes.

2. Same thing with my blushes. I don't have quite as many blushes as lipsticks, but I also find that they tend to look more alike when applied.

3. Make use of sample sizes whenever I can. I have so much makeup that even a small format product can last me a while. So, whenever I can get access to them, I'm going to do so. It's also a good way to sample new product formulas.

Naynadine

Veteran Moderator
Staff member
I won't wish you all luck, because this is about resolve. We control what we buy, and only we can make the changes in our lives that are required.

My priority this year is getting back into shape, so I have no makeup goals.

That is my number one goal as well.
But I definitely want to continue the Low-Buy, too. Just like last year I'm not going to set a limit of number of items, I'll just try to buy less and be even pickier. Will also have to purge my stash even further.

Quote: Originally Posted by mel33t

Welcome!!
th_thstars.gif

I have a problem with blush too, I know the struggle.
sigh.gif
werd.gif

veronikawithak

Great to see so many new and returning faces. :) It's going to be a good year! I culled about 20 more lip products last night, mostly mini lipglosses. I'm down to 5 lipglosses now which I'm so happy about! I just kept my favourites and that's all I really need. Now the only areas that I'm still wanting to downsize a bit more are lipsticks and eyeshadows. I got some new notebooks to keep track of my projects in 2015. In one section I wrote out my makeup inventory and ideal inventory. I'm down to 92 makeup items total now. This month I'm working on using everything at least once and so far I've used 22 already! Most of the items are things I know I'll be keeping, so I don't think I'll be doing another large declutter until the 6 month mark. We'll see though. I also wrote out a list of everything I want to use up this year, either because it's expiring or because I want to downsize. I have 20 categories with 31 items total, including a palette of 9 eyeshadows. This is the year I really want to focus on making the most of my stash!

mommyluvsmac

Hi everyone! I don't know that I'll be engaging in an actual low-buy this year, or at least I don't know what limits I'll place on myself aside from the ones that my budget will force on me anyway. However, I do have a few goals that should limit what I buy without me putting an official cap on purchases. 1. I want to make sure I wear every lipstick in my collection. I have a ridiculous number and I'm sure that I have worn some in a couple of years. I need to determine if there are any I want to retire and, before buying new ones, I want to know that I don't have any close dupes. 2. Same thing with my blushes. I don't have quite as many blushes as lipsticks, but I also find that they tend to look more alike when applied. 3. Make use of sample sizes whenever I can. I have so much makeup that even a small format product can last me a while. So, whenever I can get access to them, I'm going to do so. It's also a good way to sample new product formulas.
I completely understand the blush thing. I don't have as many blushes as i do lipsticks. I have 28 blushes but some of them look very similar when applied. My bad girl gone good blush looks like gingerly and my sharon peaches and cream looks like fleur power:(

Quote:
I completely understand the blush thing. I don't have as many blushes as i do lipsticks. I have 28 blushes but some of them look very similar when applied. My bad girl gone good blush looks like gingerly and my sharon peaches and cream looks like fleur power:(
I have the same issue. I have 30+ from mac and so many of them look the same on the skin. Yet I still buy new ones from time to time. I can see a difference when two pans are side by side, but are other people actually going to notice a difference? Probably not. I will try to purge my blush stash in 2015 - especially the shimmery and glittery ones. I just do not reach for them anymore.

mommyluvsmac

Thank you! I have the same issue. I have 30+ from mac and so many of them look the same on the skin. Yet I still buy new ones from time to time. I can see a difference when two pans are side by side, but are other people actually going to notice a difference? Probably not. I will try to purge my blush stash in 2015 - especially the shimmery and glittery ones. I just do not reach for them anymore.
IKR I was trying to pan sweet as cocoa blush but the shimmer is horrible on my textured skin:(:( Plus i like my Lips and Cheeks better without shimmer. I don't mind shimmer on my eyes though.

PixieDancer

Hello ladies!!! So glad to see so many of you back in the loop for a new year of smarter buying! I have done so well I've hardly had a free moment to check in!! When I would purchase in the past... I'd run here to discuss it. But since I've skipped SO many collections and makeup temptations, I've honestly tried to stay away to keep from being tempted. Glad I have this thread to check in from time to time!! But I'll try to lay low as much as possible. It seems to be helping me substantially! I'll "see" you sweeties soon! Good Luck w the new 2015 goals!!

LavenderPearl

New year, new attempt at a low-buy. I actually did really well last year up until the holiday season. :/ Goals for 2015: * Continue to be discerning about my purchases. I know what I want from products, and I also am aware of what I like with regards to formulas, textures, finishes, etc. There should be less guesswork, and thus less impulsive buying. * Stay within my (physical) means. I have managed to consolidate my stash down to one small dresser drawer for eyes and face... Would like to keep it that way. This also goes for lipsticks -- no outgrowing these two 24 holders! Other than those two things, my only other beauty goals are to wash my brushes more often, and to start systematically working through what I already have. -nods- I'm thinking about trying to knock out products that are on their last legs first. Excited to be in here, hopefully I can keep up with the thread this year and celebrate everyone's triumphs :) 2015 PURCHASES: January :: $58 (ULTA 20% OFF) * LORAC Unzipped Gold * NYX Butter Gloss - Angel Food Cake, Red Velvet * Too Faced Perfect Eyes - Perfect Peacock February :: ~$83 * ColourPop Down With Decorum Set * ColourPop Forget the Fruitcake Set * ColourPop Super Shock Shadows - Effect, Sequin * Maybelline Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner * Maybelline Master Precise Liquid Eyeliner * Sleek Contour Kit - Dark March ::

veronikawithak

Just got back from my first shopping trip of the year! I had to find a birthday gift for a friend, redeem a voucher for a free mascara, make an exchange, turn in my B2Ms.. things were just piling up so I figured I'd get everything done before classes started. Here's what is going towards my 5 item limit for the month: 1. An awesome dress that fit perfectly and looked great. Last one in my size, and when I went to pay it was 50% off. Score! I wear dresses often so this will make its way into regular rotation. 2. Bite lip primer - I wanted to see how this compares to the MAC one. I also bought a lip pencil in Rhubarb since I loved the formula of the one in the Sephora set but wasn't too crazy about the color. Only counting one of these since I exchanged something to cover the cost of the other. 3. Brush roll - I've been wanting one for so long but couldn't find one I liked. Finally found an Etsy one that I love so I ordered it today. 4. Ordered a videogame so I could play online with a friend. We've been planning to get something to play together for months and we're finally getting around to it. 5. ? - Saving this in case something unexpected comes up later! It always does. ;) I also bought 3 dress shirts that I'm not counting towards my limit. It's so hard for me to find well-fitting shirts off the rack so when I do I stock up. I actually didn't have any other solid coloured dress shirts either, all of my button ups are patterned. Plus I can wear them to work and clases so they'll get a lot of wear. Bought some underwear and deodorant too but those aren't included either lol. Traded in my B2M items as well. I always plan to wait but then the bag of empties just burns a hole in my pocket for some reason! I got one lipstick as part of my friend's birthday gift, and Peach Blossom lipstick and Oyster Girl lipglass for me. Peach Blossom is a staple for me - I finished one last year - and I've been wanting to try Oyster Girl for a while. Oh, and I got my birthday gift from Sephora too! Pretty satisfied with how I did. I got a lot of items it seems but 6 of them I didn't pay OOP for and I don't think I indulged too much otherwise. Now to exercise self-control for the rest of the month.. Classes are starting again so I know I'll be stressed but hopefully not as much as last year.

janette9687

Shellygrl I am digging your post so I copied it and filled it in with my own goals, I love the Lil sections you made.

Where To Stop (No Buy)

• Pre-Made Eyeshadow Palettes - I don't want or need anymore.
  • Eye Liners – I only use a black and brown and that’s all I use no more for this.
  • Blushes – I want to finish all my ED and get down to only 6 blushes this year whether I sell or give away. If I get thru one I will purchase peaches because I fell in love with my sisters.
  • Single Eye shadows- I have been slimming down my mac singles and am not feeling any gaps missing. I want to get down to 2 15-pan, right now I have 3 -15 pan with gaps i all of them.
  • Lip liner - I have all that I need.
  • Lipstick - I have all the shades I need. I may check out new ones in the new year but I am not missing any, it has to be extremely unique, I did well in this in 2014
  • Highlighter/Luminizer – Do not need any AT ALL!
  • Pigments- I’m down to 16 vials of the 35 I use to own, I want to get down to 10
  • Bronzers – I only have one and I use to have like 4, I don’t have a nice one to warm up my face for natural look but I didn’t wear any of my old ones so I am not looking to get a new one unless I can find a nice travel size one.

Good to Replace as needed (Proceed with Caution)

• Lipgloss – I may add a mini lipglass because the majority lip products are matte but am not in a hurry for it
  • Mascara - Two is good to have, I have an idea what are HG for me now so as soon as I finish these last minis, I will replace with full size versions of what I love.
  • Foundation – I just got the Bobbi Brown BB cream with the Sephora $20 GC so I hope to finish that this year as a daily, I want to repurchase my NARS SG I love that foundation, I lost my GA Luminous Silk so I do need a foundation, Only want to have one this year. I want to try the NARs powder too.
  • Concealer - I'm good with my YSL Touche Eclat, I purchased the Chanel one because I wanted more coverage but was too ca key so I returned it. YSL is good for now

Miscellaneous

• False Lashes – I also would like to focus on more looks with falsies but not to the point where I have more than 3 in my stash.
  • Brushes- I don’t need any brushes, but I am making a trip to Japan and if I see some unique Hakuhods I am missing I will allow myself some.

I also purchased a new skincare regimen ($200ish worth) in December, so that was my biggest purchase as far as beauty related towards the end, no makeup since those melt lipsticks release which I was very happy about it. I haven't checked for MAC updates and I don't plan too because I really am not missing anything in my makeup. I am so proud of myself with my low buy in 2014 and I wanna continue it in 2014, I have even surpassed my old ideal makeup inventory. My next post will be my makeup inventory from last year and this year, I did them around Jan time frame anyways.

I am def in for Team Low Buy 2015, and I feel like I have more control with my purchases in makeup, I am looking on working on my spending and saving this year in other places like shoes, clothes, and jewelry, trying to go towards to minimalistic approach but gradually.

I would like to remind new guests that this spending habits wasn't an overnight improvement, for many of us it took us all year it was an ongoing battle so don't give up!

janette9687

Here's the truth in numbers yay!

MAKEUP INVENTORY IDEAL 1/14 1/15

LIP
Lipstick 30 97 38
Lip Gloss 5 7 0
Lip balm 2 2 1
Lip Liners 10 26 12

FACE
Primer 1 2 1
Foundation 2 5 2
Concealer 1 3 1
Powder 1 2 1
Setting powder 1 2 1
Highlighters 8 19 8
Bronzer 2 6 1
Blush 15 35 17

EYES
Eye Primer 1 1 1
Eyeshadow-palettes 3 5 3
Eyeshadow singles 10 17 7
Pigment vials 20 35 12
Eye liner 2 7 4
Mascara 2 12 2
Brow 2 2 1

TOOLS
Beauty Blender 2 5 2
Face brushes 15
Eye Brushes 15

FRAGRANCES
Perfumes 3 5 3

I'm almost there to my ideal and I wish to slim down even more. I have yet to do my brush count down because that is still a process, but I know my eye brushes have been cut down my half and im so proud of that. Its such a relief believe me!

Latest posts