Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

SleepingBeauty

I was able to resist Perfect Topping which is now sold out. Good for my wallet.
The only things I need to buy are the MSF Light and Fix+ since I'm running out of both. Also, if I can find Faux somewhere I'll definitely grab it! Getting this lipstick is basically impossible! It has been sold out for weeks, if not even months, now. I tried to get it at the counter about three times now and I've been looking online for it forever now. Next time I'll get the chance I'll definitely buy it.

B

Buffy89

I was able to resist Perfect Topping which is now sold out. Good for my wallet.
well done! I've already written that I did order a PT on Monday and yesterday I finally got it. Unfortunately, it's got a scratch /dent on the surface but it's not too dramatic and since it's sold out, it cannot be exchanged for a fresh one anyway. I ordered it right when it was releaed so in relation to the time span, the scratch was not caused by a customer (this would be groce) but must have been caused during production. although it doesn't swatch as pink as some of the ones shown in the Mac thread, it's really flattering and suits me well. I can imagine it becoming part of my foundation routine, so the purchase was not too stupid at least. on Mackarrie's blog, the pink blush does look really pretty indeed (although I didn't imagine this might be possible because of all that superfluous glitter), but this impression totally contradicts my impression I had swatching...oh well...must stay strong and stick to my opinion.

SleepingBeauty

on Mackarrie's blog, the pink blush does look really pretty indeed (although I didn't imagine this might be possible because of all that superfluous glitter), but this impression totally contradicts my impression I had swatching...oh well...must stay strong and stick to my opinion.
I'm glad you're happy with Perfect Topping even though it's not perfect (haha, what a pun...) and has a dent. Sometimes this happens; my Vice 3 which I ordered online came with a scratch in one of the colours but that's okay. If you can sanitize it there's nothing to worry about.
I've read that the glitter is just overspray but I can't tell you for sure. I wouldn't buy that blush. There's nothing special about a hot pink.

B

Buffy89

I wouldn't buy that blush. There's nothing special about a hot pink.
I guess that's true. Actually, I already own some hot pinks, and muted shades suit my complexion more. There are so many bad reviews around and even the fact that it's still in stock should make me get suspicious, lol.

Jennifae

Specktra Bestie
I'm in! I joined the low-buy thread a little late in 2014, and even though I think I've made some improvements, my stash is still quite big.

My makeup-related goals in 2015:

1. Take inventory of my entire collection.
  2. Continue to purge items I don't need.
  3. Be more selective and buy a lot less products.
  4. Try to use up products before they go bad.
  5. Start depotting my MAC shadows & blushes.

No Buy:

• Eyeshadow Primers - I'm happy with the ones I have, and they last forever.
  • Eyebrow Products - I'm only going to repurchase as needed, but I think I'm set for 2015.
  • Mascara - I need to use up what I have before they dry up.
  • Lip Balm - I'm only going to repurchase as needed, but I think I'm good.
  • Concealers - I have 4 concealers at the moment, but I'd be happy with just 2.
  • Setting/Finishing Products - I'm okay with the 2 I currently have.

1 in 1 Out:

• Eyeshadow Palettes - I will only buy a new one if I can get rid of 1 or 2 palette(s) from my stash.
  • Lipsticks - I'm not going to restrict myself from buying, but I do need to be more selective.
  • Lipgloss - I just need to be more selective and use up what I have before they go bad.
  • Blushes - I will only buy a new one if I can get rid of 1 or 2 blushes from my stash.
  • Bronzers - I don't have that many, but I need to focus on the ones I have.
  • Highlighters - I do have 1 or 2 that I have on my wish list, but I need to make room for it.

Low Buy:

• Single Eyeshadows - Unless it's a new EDES, I don't think I'll be adding any more.
  • Cream Eyeshadows - I love MAC Paint Pots, but I'll only buy new ones if I'll use them a lot.
  • Eye Liners - I will only purchase new ones if they are unique to my collection.
  • Lip Liners - I don't have that many, and there are a few gaps I want to fill.
  • Pigments - I rarely use them, so I probably won't buy more.
  • Brushes - I have what I need at this time, but I'd still like to get some Hakuhodo brushes later.

Need to Replace:

• Foundation Primer - I had a couple, but I lost them when I moved last year.
  • Foundation - I need to get one before my CC cream runs out.

Yazmin

I procrastinated on my decluttering project through the holidays and just started it last night. I've made some good headway but there's still a ways to go. I've got a huge garbage bag filled with clothes and never used bags that I plan to donate, slowly gathering cosmetics that I will either sell, give away or toss, several bags of personal papers to be shredded, and a few grocery bags filled with items to put in recycling.

All of my makeup that's not already organized into drawers have now been sorted by category (eyes, face, lips, skin care, etc.), to make it easier for when I can incorporate them into my collection. Over the last couple of weeks, I've pulled a minimum of 20 items, mostly BNIB, that I'm letting go.

It doesn't look like I've accomplished much - but I'm feeling more motivated to keep going until I get my space to where I want it to be.

thefbomb

Great to see so many new and returning faces. :) It's going to be a good year! I culled about 20 more lip products last night, mostly mini lipglosses. I'm down to 5 lipglosses now which I'm so happy about! I just kept my favourites and that's all I really need. Now the only areas that I'm still wanting to downsize a bit more are lipsticks and eyeshadows. I got some new notebooks to keep track of my projects in 2015. In one section I wrote out my makeup inventory and ideal inventory. I'm down to 92 makeup items total now. This month I'm working on using everything at least once and so far I've used 22 already! Most of the items are things I know I'll be keeping, so I don't think I'll be doing another large declutter until the 6 month mark. We'll see though. I also wrote out a list of everything I want to use up this year, either because it's expiring or because I want to downsize. I have 20 categories with 31 items total, including a palette of 9 eyeshadows. This is the year I really want to focus on making the most of my stash!
Sounds like you're really on the right track!

tirurit

@jennifae yay for depotting! Today I depoted my zoeva mixed metals palette and one of my blush by three sleek blushes. I feel so acomplished when I put those pans into my z-palettes!

I also organized all my palettes into those cheap white ikea magazine files. Now they don't clutter the space and I have one for eyes and the other for face products

patentg33k

I procrastinated on my decluttering project through the holidays and just started it last night. I've made some good headway but there's still a ways to go. I've got a huge garbage bag filled with clothes and never used bags that I plan to donate, slowly gathering cosmetics that I will either sell, give away or toss, several bags of personal papers to be shredded, and a few grocery bags filled with items to put in recycling.

All of my makeup that's not already organized into drawers have now been sorted by category (eyes, face, lips, skin care, etc.), to make it easier for when I can incorporate them into my collection. Over the last couple of weeks, I've pulled a minimum of 20 items, mostly BNIB, that I'm letting go.

It doesn't look like I've accomplished much - but I'm feeling more motivated to keep going until I get my space to where I want it to be.
Sounds awesome to me!

Haven

I will be stopping by this thread throughout the year. DH and I purchased a new home at the end of 2014. Yeah! So now I need to focus more on saving/using money for that. We already have a list of projects and things to fix in the house. I haven't finalized my actual makeup goals yet, but when I do I will post them. Oh I do know one - less online makeup purchases.

cwillie

newhere.gif

Long time lurker, finally posting since i'm a stay at home mom/housewife now!
I have GOT to be on some type of no buy or low buy for, at least, the beginning of the year. My husband and I are due with our first sweet bundle of joy in April!
So to prepare, and save money since I know longer work, this is what I will be focusing on for this year!

Where To Stop (No Buy)

• Pre-Made Eyeshadow Palettes - I have absolutely no need for any more! I already have two of the nakeds, vice, and the older book of shadows. I'm set for a while!
  • Blushes – I got the benefit set for christmas, and i'm not big on blushes anyway, so I will focus on using these!.
  • Pigments- Mac pigments are something I don't use often, just because of the time it takes to use them, so I'm going to try and not buy anymore!
  • Bronzers – I know which ones I like, and some how, I've acquired a few of the same one! So maybe if I use them up I'll replace, but probably not.

Good to Replace as needed (Proceed with Caution)

• Lipgloss – Only if I absolutely love the color and it's unlike anything else that I have, or it's for a special occasion.
  • Lipstick - I don't really have that many, but I want to focus on finishing at least two of the ones I have, so if I buy one, I have to really like the color.
  • Foundation – I just got the MAC mineralize moisture one the other day, that should last me until little missy gets here, so I shouldn't have to buy anymore til summer. I will try to limit the purchasing of these though! I have a weakness for finding the "perfect" foundation.
  • Concealer - As is with foundation, I always try to find the "perfect" one. I have a few that I like, and plan on grabbing one of the duos next time I'm at the counter, but no more until I finish at least one!

Miscellaneous

• Perfumes – I absolutely do NOT need anymore, but If I find a really good deal, I may pick one up. I have a problem!
  • Brushes- I don't think I need any, but I am planning or purchasing a stippling brush for foundation and an angle brush for contouring. No more other than that!
  • Baby clothes -

katred

Specktra Bestie
newhere.gif

Long time lurker, finally posting since i'm a stay at home mom/housewife now!
I have GOT to be on some type of no buy or low buy for, at least, the beginning of the year. My husband and I are due with our first sweet bundle of joy in April!
So to prepare, and save money since I know longer work, this is what I will be focusing on for this year!

Where To Stop (No Buy)

• Pre-Made Eyeshadow Palettes - I have absolutely no need for any more! I already have two of the nakeds, vice, and the older book of shadows. I'm set for a while!
  • Blushes – I got the benefit set for christmas, and i'm not big on blushes anyway, so I will focus on using these!.
  • Pigments- Mac pigments are something I don't use often, just because of the time it takes to use them, so I'm going to try and not buy anymore!
  • Bronzers – I know which ones I like, and some how, I've acquired a few of the same one! So maybe if I use them up I'll replace, but probably not.

Good to Replace as needed (Proceed with Caution)

• Lipgloss – Only if I absolutely love the color and it's unlike anything else that I have, or it's for a special occasion.
  • Lipstick - I don't really have that many, but I want to focus on finishing at least two of the ones I have, so if I buy one, I have to really like the color.
  • Foundation – I just got the MAC mineralize moisture one the other day, that should last me until little missy gets here, so I shouldn't have to buy anymore til summer. I will try to limit the purchasing of these though! I have a weakness for finding the "perfect" foundation.
  • Concealer - As is with foundation, I always try to find the "perfect" one. I have a few that I like, and plan on grabbing one of the duos next time I'm at the counter, but no more until I finish at least one!

Miscellaneous

• Perfumes – I absolutely do NOT need anymore, but If I find a really good deal, I may pick one up. I have a problem!
  • Brushes- I don't think I need any, but I am planning or purchasing a stippling brush for foundation and an angle brush for contouring. No more other than that!
  • Baby clothes -
Congratulations on your imminent arrival and
th_welcomeemoticonsign.gif

Good luck with your goals for the year! I had to put myself on a near no-buy for perfume for a year or so and even now, I try to restrain myself, because I have so many (lots of natural/ perfume oil things especially) that I'll never finish! It did teach me the art of asking for samples when I do buy, though. If you're already getting a bottle, I find that the SAs don't mind making up a little tester of another scent. When you have a lot of perfumes at home, those little samples can last a while!

cwillie

Thank you! I just find so many perfumes that I love and they just find their way home with me. Lol.

Alysse011

I have been looking at my foundations and have a question for y'all - How long does it take you to go through a bottle of foundation?

cwillie

A one ounce bottle, daily wear usually last about 3-5 months depending on if I use a heavy hand or not when I apply, or if I reapply before school or after work.

tirurit

I have been looking at my foundations and have a question for y'all - How long does it take you to go through a bottle of foundation?
I keep a few foundations on rotation, so it varies greatly depending on the season, on how my skin is behaving... I am trying to finish a bourjous healthy mix serum and my ignored pro longwear and it is taking quite a bit!

SleepingBeauty

Quote:
Three to four months. I have to admit I use a lot of foundation but mainly because my Beautyblender dupe and my brushes swallow a lot.

shellygrrl

Staff member
I have a NARS Sheer Glow that I got about two years ago that isn’t finished. On the other hand, it’s taken me about a year or so to finish a Maybelline Fit Me (no pump), and it took me about that long (or closer to two years? Can’t remember) to get through a Bobbi Brown tinted moisturizer (I used it loads). I’ve had my CC cream for less than a year and while it looks like I could be finished with it at any time, it just keeps going! And I’ve used it quite a bit. It depends.

Latest posts