Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

Glitteryvegas

Hey GRRRRLs!

I feel so energized by reading your updates and goals for this year!

Like a dope, I kept checking the 2014 thread and wondering why no one was updating! Haha. AHHHHH! I feel silly!

2015 is the Year of Know around our house. So I will not be buying any makeup at all for one year. Or anything 'fun' for myself. No clothing, shoes, books, music, movies....nothing. It's a year dedicated to knowledge, experiences, and learning. And working out!

I might be buying a dress for my brother's wedding in July, but that's it. Hubs and I will be making gifts for Xmas this year, so I need to get some mad skills in the meantime. We are allowed to buy supplies to learn new skills (ex: yarn to learn how to knit, etc). I'm in the process of starting our blog - talk about intimidating! How do you blog ladies do it? haha writing for other people's consumption is a bit nerve wracking, but I figure my story might be able to help others. Especially my debt story.

I've been wearing my fav. combos lately and been getting a lot of compliments, so that reinforces the no buying. I can create my fav. looks without buying anything new, so why would I buy more? I turfed a lot of relatively full products because they had gone bad or I didn't see myself using them up, so that also reinforces the no buying. Being on a 'team' of no/low buying with you guys and hubs helps with my accountability.

I'll figure out if I can post a pic of my Christmas look for ya'll - I love it so much!

Audrey C

I generally use one BB cream and one foundation per year. My current go-tos are MUFE HD Foundation (120) and Bobbi Brown BB Cream (Fair). I tend to use the BB cream more in the summer, when I don't wear moisturizer. I really like the finish of MUFE HD, but I have to moisturize at least my cheeks in the winter to get a natural looking finish.

I also go through one SPF slightly tinted moisturizer (Paula's Choice or Clinique) in the summer, but I tend to get some help from family using that up (read: I badger my son/husband into applying some when we're out and about).

B

Buffy89

9a2f1bcf_image.jpeg
Love this! Sugarpill's goldilux, MAC Golden Gaze, Lit green glitter. Ardell lashes. UD Eldarado liquid liner and a black/graphite liner on the bottom. (possibily Milani's Graphite pencil liner - love that one). MAC New York Apple lippie, Beet Liner and MAC Viva Glam I gloss on lips! I can't figure out how to not have a weird look on my face/lips when I take makeup pics haha. I'm usually a very smiley type of person!
Super pretty! And such a gorgeous eye look! With makeup skills like this and obviously good products, it's unnecessary to buy more makeup anyway at the moment, I'm really satisfied with what I already own and I try to focus on creativity and new combinations of colors and products.gotta try to recreate your golden eye look. Edit: by the way, I love that wallpaper!

Alysse011

Thank you everyone! I asked because I have only ever gone through one liquid foundation. It took me 2 years and I wasn't using it every day or anything. Anyway, I'm trying to decide if I should look at one of my current foundations as a "sunk cost" and chuck it or try to use it up. I just have other bases I truly love and would hate to see them go off just because I'm busy trying to use something else up. Makeup problems. @glittervegas - I like your eye look! Very pretty.

Glitteryvegas

@glittervegas - I like your eye look! Very pretty.
Thanks girl!
blush-anim-cl.gif

I feel your makeup probs. If it were me, I'd probably just toss the one I dislike and use what you love. The money's long gone...unless you can give it away to someone with a similar colouring?

Glitteryvegas

Popped into the MAC Cinderella thread. I'm dead. I dunno where the little 'thud' guy went, but I need him right now lol.....
hmm.gif

Then I started looking at the packaging, if in fact that is the actual packaging. Nothing special I'd say. And the colours....probably dupeable.

This year'll be hard for me, but it's supposed to be. I need to keep repeating the mantra "Dupeable....dupeable...."

cheerleader.gif

veronikawithak

Popped into the MAC Cinderella thread.  I'm dead.   I dunno where the little 'thud' guy went, but I need him right now lol.....:hmm: Then I started looking at the packaging, if in fact that is the actual packaging.  Nothing special I'd say.  And the colours....probably dupeable.   This year'll be hard for me, but it's supposed to be.  I need to keep repeating the mantra "Dupeable....dupeable...."  :cheer:
I was a little scared when I saw the first paragraph of this.. right after the post about not buying anything this year! :p But then sighed with relief as I read the rest. You can be strong! Looks like they did a seriously mediocre job of Cinderella anyway, probably because they know they can get away with it. Let's continue all of our progress from last year! The Hourglass palettes were posted today and I picked the one and only one I will be purchasing as my birthday gift to myself when they're available. Nothing else for me at the moment!

cwillie

I've decided I need lightscapade. Currently trying to talk myself out of it! Lol. This is hard.

dodotheextinct

I feel a little embarrassed about this but I need to be held responsible. Here's my makeup inventory and the numbers surprised me in some areas.

~Face
Primer/CC Cream - 3/2
BB Cream/Foundation - 2/1
Concealer - 2
Powder - 4
Blush/Cream blush - 14/3
Highlighter/Bronzer - 5/8

~Lips
Lipliner/Lipbalm - 2/15
Lipstick/Lipgloss - 59/28

~Eyes
Primer/Colored Bases - 6/10
Loose pigments/single - 96/47
Small palettes - 18
Large palettes - 21
Brows/Eyeliner - 2/14
Mascara - 3

The numbers are shocking once again though some of the numbers have decreased some other numbers went up (like the large palette section...).

After doing inventory I feel like I need to do more than just a no-buy until April. There are a lot of single/loose eyeshadows that I haven't used yet and would like to try so I'll be placing myself on a "Use a new eyeshadow a day" project. By the end of the project hopefully I'll be able to let go of colors that didn't work for me or that I don't like.

I'm very proud of how much I've decreased my face products and mascara stash the past year though there is still a lot more left to do to reach my ideal numbers.

Whew doing an inventory is so helpful in determining what sections I need to work on.

cwillie

None really! Lol. That's why I feel it's a need. I normally just use vanilla pigment as a high lighter, but lightscapade just looks beautiful.

Glitteryvegas

None really! Lol. That's why I feel it's a need. I normally just use vanilla pigment as a high lighter, but lightscapade just looks beautiful.
I have lightscapade...and yeah, it's okay. I love it in the pan. haha. Unfortunately it can't stay in the pan forever
ssad.gif
I mean, depending on your colouring, I think there's probably more exciting products out there (*MAC ADORED* *Anything NARS* *BENEFIT's Watt's Up?* *COUGH COUGH*).

NaomiH

I'm not sure I'm going to low buy, but I am going to continue weeding out my stash like I have been either by giving things away or selling them off. I'm also going to keep focusing on using things up, I've hit pan on a few blushes so far and finished a few lingerers and hope to keep it up during 2015. Yay for a year of smarter purchases and a more refined stash!

NaomiH

9a2f1bcf_image.jpeg
Love this! Sugarpill's goldilux, MAC Golden Gaze, Lit green glitter. Ardell lashes. UD Eldarado liquid liner and a black/graphite liner on the bottom. (possibily Milani's Graphite pencil liner - love that one). MAC New York Apple lippie, Beet Liner and MAC Viva Glam I gloss on lips! I can't figure out how to not have a weird look on my face/lips when I take makeup pics haha. I'm usually a very smiley type of person!
Beautiful!

veronikawithak

HAHA Girl you know we got this this year eh?!??  Last year I personally didn't do great, but I definitely did better than 2013!  I resisted a lot during the holidays and got minimal makeup for Xmas, so for me that's a victory!  :peace:   I think MAC is getting a tad lazy, like what the hell was that Malificent BS?  Could've done sooooo much there, but nothing noteworthy in my opinion.  No sharp hunter greens or royal purples, just a basic quad with lame packaging.  Again, IMHO.   What's this hourglass palette?  The Blush one?  Hmm...lol I do love the products I have from them, still waiting to purchase the trio of powders but I guess that'll be next year :rasta: I have lightscapade...and yeah, it's okay.  I love it in the pan.  haha.  Unfortunately it can't stay in the pan forever :(   I mean, depending on your colouring, I think there's probably more exciting products out there (*MAC ADORED* *Anything NARS* *BENEFIT's Watt's Up?* *COUGH COUGH*).  
We do have this year.. I have good feelings, and I've been doing pretty well since July so with some effort I can continue I'm sure. :) We're going to do great! The Hourglass is eyeshadow palettes. Been waiting since the first one came out last year. Looking forward to it. Other than that I'm going to try and keep it really minimal this year! Based on how long it takes to use things up, I still have several years of product left. :p

CrimsonQuill157

Totally convinced I don't need it now :) haha
Maybe try indie highlighters? They are cheaper and absolutely beautiful. I have a sample of Hello Waffle Lavender Cream that I intend to get a full size of soon. It's gorgeous. However, they are loose so you have to be light handed.

Glitteryvegas

Totally convinced I don't need it now
smiles.gif
haha
Haha I would say check out your options! Always lots of options! I think MAC may have remade their packaging and made them smaller? Or is this my imagination? There might be some for sale in the Clearance Bin?

B

Buffy89

I think it's okay to buy it, then, because you're not overspending on a type of product you 've already got plenty of. Vanilla Pigment is great as a highlighter, I agree. I should definitely use it more often although those loose pigments aren't as convenient to use.

B

Buffy89

Totally convinced I don't need it now :) haha
Sorry I didn't read everything since I'm reading on my phone. Don't wanna enable you. I think Lightscapade is perm without the embossing so there's no real need to hurry.