Resolution "LOW-BUY" 2015

mango13

I have been looking at my foundations and have a question for y'all - How long does it take you to go through a bottle of foundation?
It takes me about eight months and two weeks to finish a foundation. I bought Dior's Capture Totale foundation in early August so I'll need to repurchase by the end of April. Maybe I'll find a better one by then, but I doubt it... this is my HG foundation.

mel33t

For 2015, I think I'm going to give myself a monetary budget on beauty items. I have some financial goals that I want to accomplish there year and I'm a numbers person, so this just makes sense. I think this is going to force me to really think about my purchases (hopefully) and buy the products that I truly want. Not just because they're hyped. I don't want to feel overwhelmed and that I need to buy all the things. Just some :haha:

cwillie

Here's a tip! If you wanna know how long a certain product lasts, write the date you first use it on the bottom. I do this for everything, hubby thinks I'm nuts but I like to know those types of things.

NaomiH

Thank you Darling! :bouquet:   Speaking of beautiful, Love your new avi!  (Haven't been on in ages, so your avi might not be new - but it's new to me!) What Lippie have you got on there?  Haha I would say check out your options!  Always lots of options!  I think MAC may have remade their packaging and made them smaller?  Or is this my imagination?  There might be some for sale in the Clearance Bin? 
Thank you! :hug: It's MAC'S Film Noir. :)

kerry-jane88

alright alright alright who's ready for my low buy 2015 plans!? :D I didn't do an inventory last year, although i wish i had so i could see the progress i've made in reducing my stash, i remember at the time that the thought of doing one was too overwhelming for me. I found that when i came to do a considered purge, like when i laid out all of my eye products on my bed for example, that was enough of an eye opener for me. I'd say that compared to the start of last year, my beauty stash has been reduced by two thirds, which i'm really happy about. So here's my makeup inventory 2015, pic heavy but i know some of you would probably like to see anyway :)
a0fa718f_image.jpeg
933d91c6_image.jpeg
dc7a1edf_image.jpeg
2088fc36_image.jpeg
39a23a18_image.jpeg
P - means it's a shade in a palette. I did another purge before i wrote this up and There's strike throughs already from stuff i've purged even from the 1st! I still admittedly have a lot of eyeshadow, you can see i made myself write out teh names of all the single shadows and if palettes are followed by the number of shades included, just to hit home how many colours i actually have! and there's still too many lipsticks for my liking, most are mac colours i dont really wear unless i'm going out but i will be being a lot more strict about my usage - if i'm not reaching for it at least one every once in a while then it needs to go! My ultimate goal was to get my makeup into just a single drawer. Technically it could all fit in a drawer but for ease of access i'm down to my cheek and eye products in a drawer, then on my vanity are my few face products out and lipsticks and liners in a box, lipgloss and lipbalms in a small tin, plus a pot of eye brushes and a pot of face brushes :) I've not done a skincare or bodycare inventory, as i find i get bored with those type of products quickly and i have less attachment to them so find it very easy to use them up fast or just purge them. One big area of improvement is fragrance - i did have over 20 perfumes - but now i've got myself down to just five!!!!! which i'm really happy about, i had too much and i didn't see the point of having to make myself use a perfume i wasnt mad about when i had a solid selection of favourites anyway. i had bought chloe signature in the xmas sale, on the condition that i wouldn't buy any fragrance for the whole of 2015! and that's quite the promise as i'd be buying at least one a month usually! so here's to that, i feel good about that decision :) and for refrerence, i'm down to:
  • Chloe - Signature
  • Creed - Spring Flower
  • Diptyque - Eau Duelle
  • Marc Jacobs - Lola
  • Moschino - TOY
  • Victoria's Secret - Bombshell
Where possible i want to avoid adding more colour makeup to my collection and now that i have my inventory written out i will be able to see dupes a lot clearer and make a more informed decision based on that. Gaps i would like to fill are more everyday lipliners - i love using them plus eyeliners - when i look at what my everyday makeup look is its usually a cat eye with a liner pencil, so more colours here are fine, plus i need a good dark brown and i've yet to find one that doesn't irritate or smudge like crazy. I'm also on the hunt for a good gentle body lotion that doesn't smell particularly sweet or floral, so it can layer with anything, but i'm in no rush as i have enough bits to use up for now. To keep my beauty spirits up im going to try and blog more often, as a lot of the time id take pictures of new products for review and just never get round to doing it and do fotd on my blog too, as now i have a better phone i can take better pictures! i'd also like to branch into youtube as ive always wanted.. but i'll have to see! I can see my monthly empties starting to decrease already, as ultimately i have less and less to use up and i'm beginning to use 'staple' products more and more. I'd like to do monthly favourites, as it's a good reminder of what i have and to be greatful for all i have too :) Long post but if you're anything like me you'll probably like that! Much love girlies! X

Anaphora

I'm so happy I found this thread! My year is off to a good start in that I'm really thinking about what colors I actually use rather than, "Oooo, pretty! *add to cart*." I bought a lot of pretty stuff last year, but they're not colors I really use so it was kind of a waste. (i.e. MAC Lingering Kiss, Pure Heroine)

This year so far I've made only two purchases, well, three if you count December 30th.

• Christian Dior Diorskin Nude foundation (a gift from the gods for dry, flaky skin) and the Sephora Airbrush #56 brush (why did no one tell me how amazing this thing is before?)
  • ABH Liquid Lipsticks: Pure Hollywood, Sweet Talker (both my kind of colors I wear)
  • Too Faced Carrie & Big Bronzer (only own matte bronzer, wanted a little shimmer - good quantity of product for the price)

I want to focus on only getting items that will get continual use rather than seasonal use. I think I'm doing okay so far. I want to focus more on skincare and less on makeup, but also make wise skincare buys. I love my current cleanser and moisturizer, so I don't think I'll change anytime soon. Unfortunately, my moisturizer is about to run out completely and it's a little $$$. Algenist Genius Ultimate Cream.
love.gif

Anaphora

Oh, I'm also going to try to avoid MAC like the plague. Too easy to get sucked into launches and get a ton of stuff I don't even really want.

B

Buffy89

I would like to buy three eyeshadows, but they can wait awhile: Copperplate, Satin Taupe, and Omega.
I own those and they are really useful to darken the crease / socket line , although I think I won't repurchase Copperplate and Satin Taupe (which is gonna be empty soon) since there are similar shades in Naked 2 and 3. There are too many neutrals in my stash so I need to finish a lot of them before I buy even more of them. Omega is a good brow shade for me so I might repurchase it though.

Anaphora

I own those and they are really useful to darken the crease / socket line , although I think I won't repurchase Copperplate and Satin Taupe (which is gonna be empty soon) since there are similar shades in Naked 2 and 3. There are too many neutrals in my stash so I need to finish a lot of them before I buy even more of them. Omega is a good brow shade for me so I might repurchase it though.
I have Naked 3, so maybe those two aren't actually needed. I haven't ever had a chance to compare.

B

Buffy89

I have Naked 3, so maybe those two aren't actually needed.  I haven't ever had a chance to compare.
I didn't take my Naked Palettes to the college dormitory after the holidays, so I cannot make comparison swatches myself. Well there's a shimmery taupe-y eyeshadow and a matte, medium to dark one in Naded 3, Nooner and Mugshot, and those aren't precise dupes of course, but one matte taupe shadow and a shimmering one are enough for me according to my personal low-buy plans.

Anaphora

Well there's a shimmery taupe-y eyeshadow and a matte, medium to dark one in Naded 3, Nooner and Mugshot, and those aren't precise dupes of course, but one matte taupe shadow and a shimmering one are enough for me according to my personal low-buy plans.
I agree, I'll look at them more closely when I get home. I just got Naked3 recently, so I'm not completely familiar.

kait0

hey happy new year low buyers!
I always enjoy reading the low buy thread, even thought I post only occasionally. I think no matter what the details of your personal low buy are - you should feel good that you are paying attention and being mindful about your purchases. To me it's way more fun to buy fewer, well-thought out, really desired items vs. buying everything that is talked about on youtube.

My plan for now is to have a $100 monthly beauty budget. This doesn't include skin care or essentials, which I don't think I'll be needing for a good while anyways. I'm keeping track of all my money spent this month, and have some goals for spending on groceries and miscellaneous items. I will re-evaluate after the month has ended, to see if I want to make some more specific or stringent goals. My vanity is full - so I am not in the position to be acquiring many more make-up items. So at some point I will re-do my sale thread, continue to gives things away or throw-out when needed.

cheerleader.gif

Addict4MAC

I think I will try to start a "low-buy" for 2015. I have so much makeup that I haven't even touched.
ohboy.gif
I like a few of the ideas that I read here and will definitely try them out (i.e. keeping inventory and focusing on things I need rather than want).

Haven

Yes it is! I told my hubby not to let me near a counter.
I am actually avoiding cosmetic counters as well. I have a MUFE set that I really don't need and can return to Sephora. I have decided to sit on the return for a while, however, b/c temptation is too great right now. I will return one item and walk out with 3 new items. When I am more confident that wont happen, then I will return it. Or maybe I will gift it to a friend because it is nice - just not needed by me.

So add this to my low buy resolutions. Avoid going to makeup counters/stores (at least for a while) because I will probably end up buying something that I don't really need.

cwillie

I was cleaning out the future babies room, and found a box of makeup from when we moved! It's been a year and a half! It was like Christmas all over again. I didn't even know I had perfect topping msf, I'm a happy kid!

B

Buffy89

I was cleaning out the future babies room, and found a box of makeup from when we moved! It's been a year and a half! It was like Christmas all over again. I didn't even know I had perfect topping msf, I'm a happy kid!
what a nice surprise! So you got some new goodies without spending money, that's great.

cwillie

That's always awesome! Lol. I also found all kinds of clothes and shoes, like who forgets they have a box of stuff for over a year?!