Colorqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmissjennyxx
kinda makes me wish MAC stayed independent

I was thinking that too

Colorqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelle
I would have never planned my first proper hauls from a collection, Lingerie and Culturebloom, if I hadn't been able to see the pictures beforehand. There is no MAC near me, and I can only order by mail order - no way I'm going to do that without seeing the pictures.

I'm really disappointed about this, and if there is no way to get pictures beforehand, I definitely won't be buying as much in future.

Isabelle

I am in the same position.

Quite frankly, I just will not pay attention to MAC if I have to wait until it comes out to see it. I am busy and can not remember to check online one only one day. When I can see it before hand, I can plan my purchases. Now I probably won't care much anymore.

I do not have that kind of time to be online waiting to see what it is going to be for a few days and then have it sell out!

Sigh.

This is just too bad.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
While Estee counsel are considerate of our goodwill and nature toward it's subsidiary, it still has to protect the rights of it's images.

It is my opinion they have special focus on cracking down on internet "leaks" of their new products/ideas right now. I have to pick and choose my fights, and I can't take on Estee Lauder. Sorry girls!
greengrin.gif

Specktra.Net will always work to bring you the latest MAC color story news, but for the time being we will not be able to share with you the promotional images usually accompanied with those details. (though I'm sure they'll pop up somewhere
winks.gif
) I will definately forward the sentiment and dischord I read in this message to the Estee counsel whom I am in contact with.

Hi Janice-

I can appreciate what EL is saying, but hey, I don't have to be pleased about it.
ssad.gif
I can imagine what going against a corp behemoth like EL would be like, so I see the position you are in. This is really unfortunate for Specktra-ites.

I just wanted to clarify something. Is Specktra able to post colour story images after MAC has launched it or is EL forbidding all images, regardless of whether it is post or pre-launch timeframe? Just asking as the Colour Stories area is a great resource. Thanks!

Janice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
Hi Janice-

Hey Chica! Thanks for your questions.
smiles.gif

Quote:
I can appreciate what EL is saying, but hey, I don't have to be pleased about it.
ssad.gif

Then you can only imagine how disspointed and displeased I am with the company right now.
ssad.gif

Quote:
I can imagine what going against a corp behemoth like EL would be like, so I see the position you are in. This is really unfortunate for Specktra-ites.

Absoloutly! It's really very unfortuante for the entire internet MAC fan community. Specktra.Net is not the only MAC resource EL is contacting to remove copywrite and trademark sensitive information.

Quote:
I just wanted to clarify something. Is Specktra able to post colour story images after MAC has launched it or is EL forbidding all images, regardless of whether it is post or pre-launch timeframe? Just asking as the Colour Stories area is a great resource. Thanks!

Thanks for asking, it will help clear up the issue for everyone. Estee Lauder is not "allowing" us to have any copywritten or trademarked images on the website. My understanding as of right now is that we can share the color story products and descriptions, but no imaging.

Many of the promotional images are out on the web months before the color story is released - not because of insider leaks but the ad agencies EL works with to produce these images publishing them in their online portfolios.

The color stories are a great resource, and you ladies and gents have proven that by making Specktra the #1 MAC resource on the web. I really hope that they continue to be a wonderful resource for you even though EL refuses to see the goodwill and potential in allowing use of the images in this informational format.

ishtarchick

*evil laugh* i guess so, because then it is not specktra's responability... right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaLadyB
does that mean we can STILL POST PICS INSIDE ....but not on Color Stories.....????

melozburngr

I think that we should all have an old-fashioned sit-in style no-buy.
smiles.gif
I know that i'd help a lot of our budgets, and, since there are about a billion members here at specktra, and other places (if we spread the word) they might even feel a dent in sales! lol I know it's just wishful thinking, but I, for one, will be buying MUCH less, since I won't see the pix ahead of time. Their loss, though, I suppose.

matthea

Let's do this! I'm not kidding! Let's choose one collection and boycott it!
I know it might be hard and some are weak...but just one collection we all boycott will be noticed.

Janice

It's an unfortuanate situation... mainly I'm just very sorry to see these images off the site and new MAC "addicts" deprived of viewing them and learning about MAC's past. The images really do give alot of insight to the company and it's sad to see them go.
ssad.gif

I'm stirred that the removal of the images is upsetting to you, it should be, it's just unfortunate to hear of a company ask this of a site that is dedicated to the appreciation of their product. =/

kannan

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthea
I know it might be hard and some are weak...but just one collection we all boycott will be noticed.

i pick pretty boy :p

Clada

This is sad, because I would have never ever bought Up the Amp if I hadn't seen the pic with that collection, and because of the one with Tease Me, I bought all of the collection that is still out and have been hunting for the rest of it.
The description alone just didn't do it for me.
ssad.gif

Thank you for letting us know about it.
smiles.gif

a914butterfly

why is estee lauder doing this??? seeing the color stories make us want to buy the products. if we dont see it, we dont know if we want to buy it since we dont know what it will look like. this isn't good for business. most of anyone's business relies on advertising.

martygreene

Quote:
Originally Posted by a914butterfly
why is estee lauder doing this??? seeing the color stories make us want to buy the products. if we dont see it, we dont know if we want to buy it since we dont know what it will look like. this isn't good for business. most of anyone's business relies on advertising.

The short explanation of it is this: the images, etc. are copyright material. EL owns that copyright. Copyright law protects those materials. Hosting said materials on Specktra is a violation of copyright law.

Ambi

Quote:
Originally Posted by martygreene
The short explanation of it is this: the images, etc. are copyright material. EL owns that copyright. Copyright law protects those materials. Hosting said materials on Specktra is a violation of copyright law.

If you'd take a picture of the images with a digicam and put those up there, would that still be violating the copyright law? Haha, I'm always looking for loopholes...

mellimello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambi
If you'd take a picture of the images with a digicam and put those up there, would that still be violating the copyright law? Haha, I'm always looking for loopholes...

Yeah, it'd still be a violation, as far as I know. Since the image would still be the same and it's still EL's property, there's no real loophole to get around copyright law and all that stuff
ssad.gif

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellimello
Yeah, it'd still be a violation, as far as I know. Since the image would still be the same and it's still EL's property, there's no real loophole to get around copyright law and all that stuff
ssad.gif

There's no loop hole but a company can give your rights to their material for a price....

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthea

I am in as long as it's not Sweetie Cake...LOL

mellimello

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Nessa
There's no loop hole but a company can give your rights to their material for a price....

I should have clarified that I meant using the images for free, haha.
smiles.gif