anaaliyahfan03's MAC hiring story

MACaholic76

I just read this whole thread!!! This is really great information to have for you and others who are looking to work at a mac counter.
A few things I did notice is that you do not need to have counter experience, but if you know MAC in and out, that usually gets their attention. One of the things that helped me land my gig about a year ago was visiting this site, as well as makeupally for techniques, product info and launches, etc. Trust me, when you know about a collection coming out before the own counter employees do, that gets their attention!
I say focus on what you are really really good at and build on that. For me, my strength has always been matching foundations, working with people of color, and natural yet flawless looks.
Also, another poster mentioned a few key things that you should know before going for your demo. I had my manager watch me and giving me tips so I was lucky. MAC is very peculiar about the organization, sanitazion and placing of products on your work space. If you have a couple of hours, do what I did, and hang out at the counter and watch the artists (if they dont mind). Ask them questions afterwards. It makes them feel like they are teaching you something as well as creates a bond between you and the artist(s) so they get to know you and your passion for MAC. It also leaves you with plenty of knowledge for the next time you go for your demo.
And I've said this on another board and I'm saying it now...MAC's hiring process is really really ...hmmm, interesting. Some SAs have that holier than thou attitute and are bound to mess with you and turn this into a never-ending process. LOL. Reminds me of when I pledged. Uggh.
Good luck sista gurl!

anaaliyahfan03

yea, my only problem right now is matching foundations..i'll admit that..i'll see what happens in the future...thanks
smiles.gif

luckycharms07

i had no counter experience but i think what happened was that they had an opening and i had a portfolio 15-20 pics and the manager really liked it. and ased me to come in the next day for an interview. i read all the wonderfull posts here and tried to get as much feed back from people that i know that worked at that conter and the manager loved what i had to say about all the wonderfull products mac carries. after ardious work and excitement i went through my three interviews and the manager called and told me i got the job!! so i would say just bring in your application, look like a rock star when you do and see if you can get a foot in. if not this time the next. managers are always looking for talented beautifull youn women as yourself. Keep up the good work ;>

FacesbyNiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaaliyahfan03
yea, my only problem right now is matching foundations..i'll admit that..i'll see what happens in the future...thanks
smiles.gif

That will come in time. They don't want to hire someone who thinks they know everything. They want to hire someone who knows the basics and is trainable. Meaning, you don't mind taking advice without giving the "I know everything" attitude. LOL