Aren't the l'oreal HIP products just as expensive as MAC?

tokidoki1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrtykitty
Not only do I think the prices are about the same, but I think you get less product with the L'Oreal HIP stuff. The pigment containers look a lot smaller to me, as do the cream liners. And as for the shadows, I'd rather go to MAC where I can try the bright colors on than take the chance and pay for something less, not knowing the color payoff.

Actually, MAC fluidlines contain .1 oz of product, and HIP cream liners have .159 oz, so even if you buy them for $11, it's about twice as much product/cost.

I always buy HIP on buy one get one free, and if you can score those I think it's a really good deal. I've had some great, some iffy shadows, but they're so much cheaper than MAC that I don't really mind.

I do think the pigments are kind of a ripoff, but if you can get them on sale they aren't bad.

I got the purple metallic shadow duo and I love it!

L1LMAMAJ

i always get my hip stuff during the buy one get one free sale. i never buy it on regular price, it's not worth it.

Tashona Helena

I haven't had any problems with the metallic duos and fall out. I have all of them and I pat them on when I apply, using TFSI, and I never get fall out. I get compliments all the time.

I've said this before, by the time I take a trip to my nearest MAC, plus tax, L'Oreal ends up being cheaper anyway. Not everyone's lucky to have a MAC near them. And like people have said, the drugstore sales are an awesome time to buy. It seems like they're always having them around here, when CVS isn't having it, Walgreens is, or Rite Aid is...I like their products. The pigments aren't really all that (and those sticks...ugh tore my eye UP), but everything else is great and definitely comparable to MAC if you know how to work it. Like someone said earlier, you just gotta play.

The line is pretty cheap as long as you get it at target/walmart or BOGOF. Drug stores are probably more expensive to make their loss of BOGOF sales a bit less. The cream liners are awesome. I have the black, purple, and blue. The shadows are a hit or miss. Some colors are more pigmented. The one shimmery blue in the blue duo is like MACS parrot and is sooo pigmented and pretty. I wouldn't bother with the powder pigments. I just buy mineral pigments from brands like Fyrinnae and the color payoff is so much better than MAC pigments imho. I do like the multi use of the Vanilla, but none of the other color pigments have really amazed me since I have many mineral eyeshadows that have much better impact and staying power.

crystrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivestrongH2
Hip is sooooooooo expensive where I live in Florida. Eyeshadows over $10. I dont think so!

Same here. I always see HIP in the $10 range. Maybe it is just FL?

MelmoK

I love their eye shadows but don't care too much for the pigments. I have three of their piggies and the color payoff just isn't what I want.

Caderas

For being drugstore.. I have to agree, they are pretty high. But one upside IMO is you can't get BOGO or big discounts as often (or not at all!) at MAC or high-end counters as what you can do at a place like Walgreen's, etc!

Soleil185

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelmoK
I love their eye shadows but don't care too much for the pigments. I have three of their piggies and the color payoff just isn't what I want.

I got my first pigments from a BOGO sale a few weeks ago and I was disappointed too at first. The other day, I remembered reading that saline eye solution can double as mixing medium so I tried it and the difference was like WOW.

The rebel looks like Golden Olive and I love the multi colored shimmer in Restless.
yes.gif

BEA2LS

i have a few of their shadows, not a bad deal when they are on sale but i prefer NYX or milani if you are looking for high quality cheaper stuff
smiles.gif

widdershins

Stay away from the Matte Shadow Duos. I picked one up in Perky, really vivid lime green and dark navy, and the colors are really chalky. You have to pack those suckers on to get any kind of color payoff and the dark navy is still really pale and ghostly. Blah.

kaylabella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkin
ssad.gif
What about intrepid? Has anyone tried it? I was waiting for a BOGO sell to get it. It looks so pretty.

Intrepid is gorgeous. It's a reddy-brown with a teal duo and it blends pretty well.

I haven't really had a problem with any of the HIP line that I have tried, I think the colors have pretty good payoff and since they are almost always on sale, and there's always coupons in the paper, they're rather worth the price. The worst thing I got was the teal cream liner, it was a bit dry and harder to apply, but I read somewhere on Specktra to mix it up with a toothpick and it's been perfect ever since. ;D

KeishaG14

I have to go home and see what I have. I just bought HIP for the first time last week. I was playing around with it last night, the pigments that is, and I wasn't really impressed. I'll go home tonight and mix it with some mixing medium to see what happens. Hopefully I'll be impressed too. I wasn't crazy about either of the two duos I got, but I'm not sure if they were matte or not. It didn't seem pigmented enough to me.

DILLIGAF

I only have one item a shadow duo in RASCAL. The pink in the pot is meh but the gray on the other side....LOVE!!!! Got it as part of a BOGO at UTLA this summer.

makeupaficionad

the HIP color truth cream liner in black is amazing... it stays on allllll day and it comes on very smoothly...i looooove it!! the eyeshadow combos are alright nothing compared to MAC.