At Home Platinum "DO" (pic heavY)

blondemafia76

Platinum.. a tutorial... a journey.. whatever ( I searched and didn't find one.. so I thought I would post mine)

OK.. so ever since last year's Top Model and seeing Anya's slivery platinum hair... it made me think of my youth, before I had ever touched a bottle of hair dye. My hair was pretty close, but more golden-y. I always wanted it more silvery, but never ventured down that road.. I have done various shades of blonde, lowlights, red (s), pink (duh a fave..), blue, green, brown under- blonde on top, oh so many colors. But still.. I wanted that silver blonde. And my friend Lisa's friend "Haybelle"'s hair inspired me so much more....

I have gone to a few sylists these past two weeks, who told me, "that isn't possible".. and I knew it was, with out doing too much damage to my hair. I even saw a woman in Wally World with it. Men, all over the place, esp of the Asian descent, and if they had it, I could! I knew it.

So, with the internets as my pal, I began my quest for info. I have found at least 3 variations of getting this white blonde, clariol 323 d, manic panic virgin snow and well color charms in Frosty Ash 1210T....

So... I went to Sally's today and picked up what I did, its over about a weeks period, but... I'm gonna show you how.

NOTE... This works on already blonde or light brown hair best. It is possible to get this shade on darker hair, but it takes work to do it and not be damaged. Plus you will look ugly for a week. You have to bleach twice, a week apart, and you have to uber deep deep condition in between. If you are already blonde, I have done this a day apart to be safe, well more like 12 hours, bleach at night and tone the next day. Just to ease up on my scalp.

A good ref for before, although I am ashier in real life with no hair dye..

41cb.jpg
9b91.jpg
7a6f.jpg

For Starters, here is what you need:

Clairol Toner in 323 D, its violet based, and opposite on the color wheel to yellow, this cancels out the yellow and brings on the platinum...

Toner.gif

Pure White Developer 20 vol
Toner_Cream.gif

A Color Bottle.. you can get one from Sally's, but I saved and rinsed the one from my bleach Kit. I used to bottles of color to 4 oz of developer, half the bottle. The ratio on this color is 1:1... (1 oz of color to 1 oz of developer...). Do not use anything stronger than a 20 vol on this, not only will it burn your head.. it will dilute the color. After all you are toning, not coloring.

newhair011.jpg

Bleach Kit... I used this one.. the color on the box is almost as light as I wanted it, however, it was still very yellow. YUCK. I bleached my hair yesterday, and toned it today, some do it all in one day, some don't. The bleach makes your hair very porous allowing the toner to get in there, but it also can damage your hair if you leave it on too long. Strand tests are necessary!! If you have dark hair, it may take several bleachings over several days to get to the banana peel color necessary to get this blonde. Never, ever bleach your hair to white. Always tone it to it. You can turn your hair to mush!!! ** EDIT**I now use the Wella Bleach Kit. Its much more effective. Just wanted to throw that in...***

newhair006.jpg

Shampoo, again, violet based... (my advice is to NOT use the conditioner that matches this... too much and it will turn your hair greyish. Also, dont use this every time you shampoo.. same reason. A sulfa free shampoo would be better. Once or twice a week is good.)
Shampoo.gif

Conditioner, super super super conditioner!!
Super_Conditioner.gif

Fancifull.. I will use this every time I shampoo to keep it bright, and I even add a little to my conditioner to make it whiter and not brassy, at all. This one is White Minx.. but I have been known to use Ultra White Minx as well. Also, I add this to a small spray bottle with some shine serum... magic!

Rinse.gif

And.. Frizz Ease.. I switch between this and Citre Shine Serum, put in when wet and then styled...

Finally, the hair, a day after bleaching.. the cam doesnt pick it up as well as real life, but its very gold-yellow..... My natural color is very blonde... but not this shade, its more ashy and tired looking. Don't mind the ugly no makeup and the glasses....

newhair009.jpg

So, first, separate your hair into 4 sections, its easier to work with.. and you can be sure you got all of the color there.

newhair014.jpg

saturate all of your hair with the color, then use a wide tooth comb to comb thru each section to ensure all hairs are covered. Dont forget the hair line in the front and back...

newhair017.jpg

newhair018.jpg

Wrap hair in plastic bag.. if it has writing... make sure thats on the outside!!!! Yes, mine is from wally world... Leave on 15 to 20 mins......

newhair016.jpg

Its gonna turn purple.. Dont worry, this is what you want...

Rinse until clear.... Shampoo with color lights and condtion. Rinse in fancifull, but do not rinse out...

newhair020.jpg
newhair021.jpg

Now, its blow dried and styled... its not AS blonde as I was hoping... I was looking online and the Manic Panic and the Wella seems like its going to be whiter.... But, I need to wait a few days. Dont want to anger my scalp.

newhair023.jpg
newhair025.jpg

newhair026.jpg
newhair027.jpg

See.. I still see yellow..

so there it is.. platinum.. but it still doesnt have that silvery quality that I was goin for... try try again

Sooooooo a week later, I did this... I bought the Wella Color Charms in Frosty Ash (yes lisa its the frostiest ash you ever saw..) with 30 vol developer. Washed with Shimmer Lights, super conditioned and then added the White Minx color refresher. I swear the flash in my cam adds yellowish to the pics and its totally not. Its the perfect shade of silvery blonde... omg.. Im in love... My hair isnt fixed too well in the pics, the end of a long day at the Dr's office (they wouldnt squish my boobs.. damn them) and an even longer day with the kiddos and work.. so this is what we have, little to no makeup, in a easy dress, friggin tired, Mandy...

l_f8f2603c61a3c2688255ec61821ecabd.jpg

m_02d60593d97eae2f0c6db9d8fb77b9d8.jpg
m_9caaf505abbcc8cc4fdaf371f65bf831.jpg
m_e4b172d5a7e5f0acc6fb05b69cf560c3.jpg

then like a day later
randomcrap011-1.jpg

OH YEAH... I took this before we left for our four wheeling trip.. I have a bandanna on... but you can kinda see

oldgoldeel006.jpg

oldgoldeel007.jpg

dont mind the dirty laundry...
cutey.gif

Monsterbilly

I'm so jealous, i have bleach my hair at least 2 times to get to a "not that light" shade
cry.gif

I mean, my hair has no pigments (ok some parts do
tong.gif
) it's translucent and it's still darker that this
cry.gif

At least now i have a good violet toner (tec italy) because until then i was usind gentian violet )
Your hair looks great!!!

blondemafia76

come to texas, doll, and we are all over it.
Im actually *thinking* of doing a bit of pink on the underneaths for some fun for awhile. Hubs will freak though.. Too bad for him.

blondemafia76

I am actually thinking of trying a new toner this time. Wella's White Lady, from what I understand, it's even more 'silvery' yet still platinum. I will post pics when I do and let yall know what happens.
smiles.gif

banjobama

This is so helpful! But I am really scared to bleach my own hair. The few times I've tried to color my hair lighter have been a disaster. I think my hair is very tough or something, like resistant to coloring.

blondemafia76

for me- its less than 20 mins
but Im blonde. You can process up to 90 mins with most bleaches, just do not go all the way to white with bleach. It will damage your hair to the point of breakage. You want a nice banana peel color.

darkbeauty27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondemafia76
for me- its less than 20 mins
but Im blonde. You can process up to 90 mins with most bleaches, just do not go all the way to white with bleach. It will damage your hair to the point of breakage. You want a nice banana peel color.

Thanks!

Also, the Wella Frosty Ash color that you talked about earlier, are you using that as a toner or a high lift blonde hair color? My hair is naturally dark blonde, so do you think that the Wella Frosty Ash will lighten my hair to a light blonde shade? I use bleach sometimes to lighten my hair but it gives me a bad rash on my neck that takes awhile to go away, so I am trying to avoid it as much as possible. I was thinking about using a high lift ash blonde to get my hair very light and then add some bleached streaks to it around my face (nowhere near my neck area) and then I would tone my hair, which would hopefully be platinum or close to it by then.

blondemafia76

I use it as a toner only. With a 20 vol or 30 vol developer- and it does not lift.
However- over the weekend I used Torrids Hight Lift Blondes in Platinum (blue base) on a friend who has tawny blonde hair with a 4o vol developer- and it turned out reallllly pretty. Not quite as white as mine is, but very nice with out all the yellow. But you can not use this color if you have bleached... it turns it purple!!!! But dont worry, if you aren't bleaching, it will turn purple on your head, while lifting the color. I wish I had taken pictures, it really turned out very very pretty. Please post pics with what you do- I wanna see!

But yea- using the Wella as a toner (and I use the gel not the liquid) with bleach is going to get you what you want.
smiles.gif
Even if you only bleach the highlights, just dont use a stronger developer, stick with the 20 or 30.

darkbeauty27

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondemafia76
I use it as a toner only. With a 20 vol or 30 vol developer- and it does not lift.
However- over the weekend I used Torrids Hight Lift Blondes in Platinum (blue base) on a friend who has tawny blonde hair with a 4o vol developer- and it turned out reallllly pretty. Not quite as white as mine is, but very nice with out all the yellow. But you can not use this color if you have bleached... it turns it purple!!!! But dont worry, if you aren't bleaching, it will turn purple on your head, while lifting the color. I wish I had taken pictures, it really turned out very very pretty. Please post pics with what you do- I wanna see!

But yea- using the Wella as a toner (and I use the gel not the liquid) with bleach is going to get you what you want.
smiles.gif
Even if you only bleach the highlights, just dont use a stronger developer, stick with the 20 or 30.

Thanks for the advice. Here is what I've done so far:

My hair was jet black and I had the color stripped out about 3 months ago. I have been bleaching the leftover orange and gold out of my hair myself because I don't want to keep spending the money of getting it done at the salon. So my hair has been through some funny stages.
smiles.gif
It is also somewhat damaged from the whole process, but I have been trimming off the damage throughout.

Anyway, my natural haircolor is dark blonde so I let my roots grow in a bit. I tried to bleach some highlights in, which my hair took pretty good, but I was unable to do my whole head. So about 2 or 3 weeks later I decided to just put a high lift blonde on my roots. I used Clairol Professional Premium Creme Haircolor in the shade 12A Ash (Hi-Lift Cool Blonde). I used 40 volume developer which the packaging called for. My roots lifted to a light banana yellow (which I wished it would lift furthur) and since I didn't do my whole head I still had the orangey tones in the length. I didn't tone it but used purple shampoo and conditioner which seemed to do a good job alone. It made the sections I had bleached prior to coloring a nice platinum shade. So anyway, yesterday I bleached my whole head because I want the orangey tones that remain in my hair out completely! The bleach lifted the orange to a light/medium yellow and the other hair that was already light to a light lemon yellow. Today I toned with Clairol Toner in 301 White Beige (blue base). It worked pretty good because my hair is pretty light, but it is definitely not a cool shade of platinum like yours is. I knew the more goldish tones in my hair wouldn't tone to platinum but I thought the lemon yellow shades would. Should I use the 323 Clairol Platinum toner the next time around? Since it is a violet base it will cancel out all of the lemon yellow, right?

Oh yeah and I'll try to remember to take pics tomorrow.

blondemafia76

I would try the Wella Shade, personally. I used the 323 the first go round and it still had that gold aura to it.. Then a few days later I did the Wella one, and it was def better.
Your hair/scalp have been thru the ringer, so be sure to deeeeeeep condition, maybe an olive oil conditoner with a very warm towel wrapped around it. Then do the Wella. It just has a stronger blue base- although it does not turn purple like the 323 does. Wella also makes a TONER (the frosty ash is a color I use as a toner) called White Lady- I have seen it used and it turns white white white, but I think that with your having bleached so much- it may go grey. Now, once you have done the Wella Frosty Ash- do this. Go to manic panics website, and order Virgin Snow toner, the amplified version. It is that silvery quality that you desire. No where I know carries it in store, but I use it once a week to refresh and keep it bright.

Remember though as you are growing your hair out and want to recolor- do the roots only with the bleach- and the toner, let it sit for at least half the time on the roots alone- then comb down to the ends. You do not want grey/purple hairs. Lesson learned the hard way!!!!!