Ben Nye

chanelchic

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but what the hell
smiles.gif

So I've spent my morning filling in a spreadsheet on what I'll need to put in my kit (how scary.... and yet addictive ) and on the list of recommended products from my makeup academy was a lot of Ben Nye.

In particular the Concealer Creme Pallette & the creme foundations.

Has anyone used his products? Rants? Raves?

Thanks heaps.

lara

I'll C&P what I wrote at Vogue.
smiles.gif

Quote:
Ben NYE is great. The creme palettes are a fab foundation, as they can be used straight for full coverage or mixed down with mosituriser for a sheer base. They're not as chemically as Kryolan and have a good spread of warm- and cool-based tints.
The concealer palette is much the same as any other wheel palette out there, but again, not as chemically as Kryolan or Napoleon (and nowhere near as expensive).

Bec688

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanelchic
smiles.gif

So I've spent my morning filling in a spreadsheet on what I'll need to put in my kit (how scary.... and yet addictive ) and on the list of recommended products from my makeup academy was a lot of Ben Nye.

Thanks heaps.

Are you attending The Academy of Makeup? (gorgeous cosmetics one)They love their Ben Nye products there, I went to an info session there and the woman raved about their stuff.

Ambonee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzEmo
where can you get ben nye?

I get my Ben Nye stuff at Theater supply shops, or on-line. I've bought some from www.sillyfarm.com they seem to be reasonably priced.
smiles.gif
hth!

Renee

I love Ben Nye! Their foundations are great. I use them with MAC full coverage for all my clients. That's the only foundation my instructor used in my classes. The good thing is, it's not pricy!

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bec688
Are you attending The Academy of Makeup? (gorgeous cosmetics one)They love their Ben Nye products there, I went to an info session there and the woman raved about their stuff.

Bec, was the woman a petite little thing with curly brown hair? I know her.
smiles.gif

Bec688

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
Bec, was the woman a petite little thing with curly brown hair? I know her.
smiles.gif

Yes, she sure was, she was tiny! She's very good at doing smokey eyes
clap.gif

saraa_b

well... the only time I've used Ben Nye was for a theatre production... the creme foundation covers REALLY WELL but it's impossible to get off... I had to use cold creme :/

aeni

i have just about every ben nye product (b/c i worked at a costume shop for 2 years). the concealor wheel's a good thing to have. i like to use the plastic palette and spatula to mix and "melt" the colors. makes me feel like bob ross. as for foundations, wonderful stuff. general rule of thumb, buy the color most matching one's own foundation and the lighter and darker for give or take.

"here we're going to paint a happy little pimple."

gotta love ben nye. i also recommend on getting whatever you can by bob kelly. he died and his wife sold the makeup business - they made wonderful creme tubes for performers.

make_me_up

i love love love.... ben nye!

I totally recommend to anybody looking for fun and new colors to try the ben nye lumiere 12 eyeshadow pallette. i just recently purchased it from school (make-up designory) after trying it on myself and seeing it on other's... i HAD to have it. I believe for the price AND quality, it is well worth the price, which I believe was around $54 for 12 colors. I have also tried other products by them and was pleased with the results. but this pallette is my ULTIMATE favorite.
cheerleader.gif

http://www.makeupmania.com/products/TI-0111-26P-000.jpg

MizMac

I love my Ben Nye goodies!! Esp the Lumere Powders. They have such rich bright colors and are really pigmented!! Super cheap as well!!

pixichixi

I was in a little photo-shoot thing not too long ago at a Spa/Salon near my house, and they used Ben Nye foundation/concealer/blush/powder.
I think usually you use it in theater and photography, because the bright lights and flashbulbs wash you out.
The makeup felt good on, looked good (although I was loaded up and looked a little powdery when I looked in the vanity mirror in my car), looked great in pictures, and blended really well.
The artist had these huge palettes/displays full of every shade of concealer, foundation, powder, and blush. It came in a huge range of shades, with all sorts of different undertones.
I can't find a MAC foundation that has my undertone--I have "blue" and "green" veins visible inside of my wrist, and I don't think I've seen a 15-20 level foundation with just a neutral base. NC makes me pinky and NW makes me yellowy.
The Ben Nye looked just right, as far as I'm concerned, but I seriously had tons of makeup on, so maybe it just looked like it was my right shade after a while. I know it was near to the color of my neck, so it didn't look wonky.

When I purchase my pictures, I'll have to post a few. I looked terrible, but my makeup looked great, and the pictures looked great.

Basically...I'd say it's more worthwhile to go for Ben Nye if you're going to do photography, film, stage, runway--anything with bright lights.
For more of an everyday makeup artist, I'd say Ben Nye is still good, but maybe use a more sheer powder/founation, because it goes on THICK and OPAQUE.

Good luck with your career and your training!

PS. The eyeshadows look great for everyday and for stage, you get a really good amount in the container, and the colors are absolutely gorgeous!

ohhhhhthehorror

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanelchic
smiles.gif

Thanks heaps.

I really really enjoy Ben Nye. I have a degree in Theatre with a concentration in makeup and have used A LOT of the special fx makeup as that is primarily what I do for makeup jovs nowdays. I thin kthe stuff is great and very realistic.

As far as 'regular' makeup is concerned, I really only use the grand lumiere eyeshadows. They are very vibrant, but I do not think the blending ability is as good as MAC, for example.

All in all, I def. think Ben Nye is a great addition to any traincase.

DaizyDeath

ok im now offically addicted to Ben Nye
i have 2 of their lumier powders and now im going back this weekend to get more stuff

i found a store that sells everything from them!
plus Kryalon and some others but i found myself mostly going for the ben nye though

MizMac

oooh where in Dallas??? We have like NO selection here in Austin!! grrrr!!! I might have to make a road trip!!

giz2000

Ben Nye is great...I have the concealer wheel, some of their brighter shadows, loose powder and foundations...love love love them!

ebonyannette

I just made my first Ben Nye purchase and Im hooked.
The shadows are soo pigmented and creamy. Not just sparkly but really smooth and gorgeous. And for only $7 a shadow I think I found my 2nd
fave next to MAC

Ethel

Has anyone branched out from the Lumiere shadows? I love them and I've collected almost all of them. I prefer the luxe powders to the pressed shadows, because their more versatile, like pigments. I've also tried the Aqua Glitters, Hyrda-Cleanse (great gentle eye makeup remover and brush cleaner), and Liqui-set. All have been great products. So I just placed a huge order to try their other stuff--visage face powder, matte foundation, eyebrow pencil, lipgloss, etc.

Anyone tried the banana powder? I'm assuming its like tarte's mellow yellow, but I don't know how to use it, so I was too scared to order.