Ben Nye

pixichik77

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeni
i also recommend on getting whatever you can by bob kelly. he died and his wife sold the makeup business - they made wonderful creme tubes for performers.

I thoght Bob kelly was still alive and kicking, although the company was sold...

Ben Nye breaks me out something fierce, although I will mix some with other foundations.

Judymomocoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizMac
I love my Ben Nye goodies!! Esp the Lumere Powders. They have such rich bright colors and are really pigmented!! Super cheap as well!!

ditto! i have heard a lots of good thing about it, very tempted!

aeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixichik77
I thoght Bob kelly was still alive and kicking, although the company was sold...

Ben Nye breaks me out something fierce, although I will mix some with other foundations.

I was told otherwise by a costumer that sold out his own business. He had cases of Bob Kelly. Could be wrong!

hunnybun

hey ladies -- i'm a lay person seeking some MA wisdom. when i had my bridal portraits done, the MA who worked on me used ben nye setting powder to keep me from melting under the studio lights. i've never had anything hold my makeup and control shine even half as well. it was love at first sight!!

so i finally managed to track a giant container of it down at a costume supply warehouse, but seeing it amongst a shelve of face paint, wax noses and fake blood has made me a bit hesitant to wear it. is this stuff ok for daily use on top of my normal makeup? or is it a professional/industrial strength type product that should only be used for special occasions? it looked so great when the MA used it on me, but i don't want my own vanity to ruin my skin.

please advise, oh wise ones!!!
greengrin.gif
thanks!

aeni

Did she actually have a tub of shaking powder or did she use a compact on you? Either way, it's fine as long as your duster brush takes off the excess.

hunnybun

Quote:
Did she actually have a tub of shaking powder or did she use a compact on you? Either way, it's fine as long as your duster brush takes off the excess.

she used a large shaker, kinda like the containers that you buy parmesan cheese or sea salt in (hehe). she dusted some on a velor puff and pushed it into my skin, almost as if she was blotting me. if i try this at home, should i be using a powder brush and dusting it on my face instead?

thanks for the help!

aeni

You could use either. When I use colored creme theatrical makeup I use a puff and a brush to wipe off the excess. It's essentially the same.

pixichik77

Quote:
I was told otherwise by a costumer that sold out his own business. He had cases of Bob Kelly. Could be wrong!

Hmmm, I'll ask my department head. He'll know. BTW, my work should be in the next Ben Nye Catalog.... I can't wait.

aeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixichik77
Hmmm, I'll ask my department head. He'll know. BTW, my work should be in the next Ben Nye Catalog.... I can't wait.

Really? Scan it in and show us! I'm leaving the country next month and won't be able to see the new catalogue for a whole year - unless Ben Nye'll make an appearance at LAIMATS.

Jacq-i

I took a stage/theater makeup college course and it was quite fun. The only brand we used was Ben Nye.

The foundation was great! It looked really nice and natural, once it was buffed on. There were two downsides though...

1. I'm a strict vegetarian, and don't like using products with animal ingredients

2. I have very sensitive skin. At first, it was fine, but by the end of the semester, my skin was burning and turning red

I still love my Ben Nye makeup kit, but I only use it on clients.

aeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacq-i
I took a stage/theater makeup college course and it was quite fun. The only brand we used was Ben Nye.

The foundation was great! It looked really nice and natural, once it was buffed on. There were two downsides though...

1. I'm a strict vegetarian, and don't like using products with animal ingredients

2. I have very sensitive skin. At first, it was fine, but by the end of the semester, my skin was burning and turning red

I still love my Ben Nye makeup kit, but I only use it on clients.

Sounds like you're allergic! Why didn't they have you use the cakes?

RoseMe

I just want to say how much I love Ben Nye cosmetics. I got their banana powder and a Matt cream foundation that matches me like never before! I also got cream rouge (blush) in blushing coral that looks like a dream on. I can't wait to go back to get more !!!

reesesilverstar

It doesn't stop at the Lumiere powders!
I'm in love with the regular pressed shadows too. They're vibrant too. Not like the lumieres, but vibrant.
The cream colors. They make excellent e/s bases. Nice for face painting too.
They have these liquid glitters called Aqua glitter. So nice. I really like the irridescent one.
I also use Liquiset as my mixing medium, eyeshadow transformer, mineral powder converter etc. I think I use too much sometimes cuz it'll ball up on my eye, but the shadows won't move once it dries. Oh keep yr eyes turned down while it's drying too to prevent creasing...
Hydra Cleanse, as a makeup remover. Any other could work. Wouldn't rebuy.
Final Seal. I use that to set powder foundation and stuff. It smells nice minty, and I like how it makes my powder foundation look more like skin (if that makes sense).

IDontKnowMomo

I have the Lumiere Garnd Color Pallet and I love it. I wish there was a place around me that sold Ben Nye. I've called a couple of costume shops and I only know of one that sells it, but I don't think they have a very large selection :[

I'm going to order this soon:
Powder Rouge Palette @ StageSupply.com
I can't waitttt!