"Black Eyeliner Only"? Hmm...

nadiaanya

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
Yeah..that's b.s. Now, there might be certain shades of brown that wouldn't flatter you. However, to say that brown is off limits all together is wrong. I usually wear black but once in awhile I will wear brown myself for a more subtle look.

I agree, we are our own worst critics, if you like it then go for it.

Tashona Helena

Eww what is her problem. I love the NightHawk/Front Row pencil from MAC Heatherette and I own eyeliners in every shade possible. I've been meaning to get the L'oreal HIP Fluidline knock off in brown as well. Wear what you want. Her close-mindedness will get her no where.

GlamQueen21

That's BS! The MA shouldn't say that you can't wear the Dipdown fluidline. You should wear whatever fluidline color you want. I'm a NC50 as well and that was really rude of her!

beauty_marked

I still cant believe how silly. I actually had an MA say this to me and I thought of this post. When I went in to buy my beloved Stubborn Brown, the MA insisted I was buying the wrong shade, and that it was useless.
I wear Stubborn Brown almost everyday. Its so perfect for day, even night, and makes my eyes look really amazing!!

TISH1124

I own almost every color fluidline...But I always seem to reach for the Blacktrack....But I do like the Browns Blues and Greens too....

Kaycee37

As a "former" MAC MA , I have witnessed very limited opinions when it comes to skin of color. Usually these comments are shared by white MA's.

The beauty about skin of color is that we can wear ANY color and still look great! We are blessed with a "built in" barrier of color, to apply various colors on.
I love Dipdown when I'm going for a softer look. But I also wear blacktrack. But keep in mind..... how harsh you can appear when wearing black liner all of the time. Enjoy all shades of liner and eyeshadow also !!!! They appear great on skin of color!
NC-45
mac_addict.gif

banjobama

Anytime someone says something like that you should be suspicious, lol.

Personally though I prefer black eyeliner, always. And I'm as white as they come. But I would not try to convince someone else to feel the same way. Just wear what you like, it's YOUR face!

sinergy

Ive never been told that about eyeliner but I have about bronzers! When I first moved to this area I was going thru a severe MAC-less existence the closest store was 2.5 hrs away and buying online was still new to me, so I go to the local Dillards browsing thru Elizabeth Arden and Lancome, and told the woman at one of the counters I need a contouring blush or bronzer. She stared at me blankly and said, "uh, why would you need a bronzer? You have lots of color already." i just smiled and told her Yes but I need a bronzer so she proceeded to tell me that it wouldnt even show up on my skin, and tried to sell me some bubbly gum pink stuff that was chalky. I was very patient with her while she went on and on about wow! I never thought someone with your coloring could actually use something like this!!!! after i picked out a bronzer that came with a kabuki brush.
lol.gif
I just think if I was the one at the counter, and someone came in requesting something I didnt think would suit I would probably ask them how do you use it and see if I could learn something new from them! Not tell them i cant believe someone with your coloring can use this!!!!
thmbdn.gif

wifey806

shame on that MUA for saying that to you!
nonono.gif

but i'm proud of you for knowing inside that she's full of it
thmbup.gif

devin

the rules thing absolutely kills me!! if you love it and you are confident rockin' it, girl do your thing! don't let anybody tell you this is not for you, your skintone only looks great with this, your eye color only looks best with these colors. You can wear brown, blue, purple, teal, whatever colors you choose. I do it all, and don't listen to anyone who tries to tell me rules. If I want to wear black liner on my lips with my red, then so be it.
lol.gif
Do you!!
yes.gif

S.S.BlackOrchid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACa6325xi
I never let people tell me what to wear or buy. That MA has his or her own opinion.

I totally agree with this! You have to play with makeup for yourself to figure out what looks good on you. For example, people say that warm skintones shouldn't wear cool reds, but cool reds look best on my yellow skin.

BadBadGirl

Can anyone recommend a purple liner to use? Doesn't have to be MAC.

I love using my jet black liner to make my 'arabic eye' look but I think I should try something else. I'm on the darker side of brown (like Gabrielle Union) so I don't think using brown is worth it, if I want a natural look I'll just use mascara and no liner.

Tint

I've had the same comment applied to me as well, and although black is always a classic option, sometimes it's just too strong for some looks. Like others have stated in previous posts, you should just ignore that MA's attitude and try out different eyeliners for yourself to see what looks best on you. That's the fun of make-up; if you don't like it, it washes off.

Some alternate eyeliner options are charcoal grey, dark green, navy, chocolate brown, and plum. I love my Origins eyeliner in Mulberry--it's a great, dusky purple and the pencil is a soft kohl, so it glides on easily. And Revlon's Timeliner for Eyes in Lagoon makes one of the best grey-greens I've ever seen (although it's a little hard-to-find). Try lots of different shades to see what looks best on you.

Oh, and don't forget that you can always make your own eyeliner by wetting an eyeliner brush and dipping it in eyeshadow, then use the brush to line your eyes. Matte, shimmer, and creme shadows can all create different effects, so have fun experimenting. If you own a lot of eyeshadows, think of all the different eyeliners you can make.
greengrin.gif

seymone25

How can I put this? Brown eyeliner would in essence give ur eyes more oommph without adding the heaviness of black. If you get what I am saying.. For instance I like cat eyes, if I use brown it would give me the same effect like my eyes are naturally like that.

Ebonyone

I'm so glad you put this out there. I'm sure lots of folks have heard similar obsurtities at one time or another. My rule is if it shows up on my skin and I like it, I wear it. I am an NW45 and I wear brown eye liners.

luvsic

I have heard this over and over again from more than one person. "Asians can't wear any eyeliner other than black or else it looks weird." I have wanted to be able to pull off a brown so badly, but I never So, in turn, I have always stuck to black to play it safe. I use black to tight line my top waterline but when I go all the way around my eye I feel like it looks too unnatural.

I am interested in trying a brown eyeliner, but I am not sure where to start with those or what color could flatter my skin tone.