Black lips?!

blackrose

While I haven't worn black lipstick for years now, (used to be goth a looong time ago), its fun for me to see this in lipgloss form. So I'm excited about this trend. I'll always be a darksider at heart.
winks.gif

Sushi.

I generally find that i myself dont pull off any lipsticks very well, the only one ive worn out is Myth. But i am very excited to see the black on others.

nico

I like black lips a lot but I haven't tried yet. Maybe this fall is a perfect time for it
smiles.gif

little_miss_mac

yeah, I think it is a weird trend....something people will probably regret later.

I noticed rihanna has black lips in her Disturbia video (the part where she is with the mannikin)

I think it will be interesting to see how people work this look, but honestly I think few can pull it off.
th_dunno.gif

MacNeill59

The refined goth look is SOOOOOOO in right now! I think if you pair it with a very VERY neutral eye, and beautiful skin, it can look absolutely gorgeous. And for those of you who think that because you are paler that you can't pull this off, don't be scared
smiles.gif
It will be a stunning contrast on you.

Misshopeful24

lol.. interesting.. my lips are naturally "dark" while i'm trying to find a way to add color to it.. there is a dark thing going on... I guess i could rock that look naturally i suppose.. since its the new style thats coming out...

brave_venus

I think its a striking and sexy look. I bought MAC lipstick in cyber to try a more subtle look of the black lip trend, I liked it! it looks non-ghoulish and more approachable with a neutral face w/ cat-like lined eyes.

widdershins

I think it's gorgeous, but I'm wild about really dramatic looks in general. I think it looks like a 20's silent film starlet lip which is really appealing to me. I'm really pale (NC15 and lighter) and I think pale skinned ladies can pull it off as long as you have confidence!

Heiaken

This brings back so many memories from my teens, I was all about the black lips with I hint of dark red. I think I might have to try this out again
winks.gif

lara

At the moment I love the look of a very clean face, eyes in true nudes with a faint touch of black liner and mascara to die for, paired up with a blood-red matte lip that's been shaded subtly on the corners of the mouth with well-blended black pencil. Very chic when done right.

I remember Dior releasing a black Plastic Shine gloss, what, ten years ago?

laperle

In the mid-90s, there was this HR collection with black lips and glosses... and they had even a glossy black shadow... I wish I had money and the internet back then... I used to drool over the ads.

I don't think I could pull it off today. A deep purple with the purple juicytube is the far I can go these days.

ginger9

I like the look that I have seen in magazine editorials so far. I think to pull it off IRL some skill and vision of the overall look is required.

Personally I don't know if this look will work for me. I am a C35 I'm afraid it'll make me look gaunt and bring out the yellow/green in my skin tone. I actually think it would look stunning on light complexions and also darker skin as well. It's funny how dark lips are in, I have cyber l/s I bought way back when (before the bullet packaging for lipsticks came out) I might have it still, may have gone bad but I'll give it a go again!

Btw, what kind of blush would one wear with dark/near black lipstick, would you even wear blush?

Repunzel

i don't think i'll be doing this trend.i might change my mind later on but atm,i think it looks great but it's not for me.

User49

I'm NW15/20, but with a little bronzer, some studio fix fluid and some awesome smokey eyes I think a black gloss would look hot. Mind you I'd only buy it if mac came out with it! I think for a mua this would be handy for photoshoots but realistically I wouldn't wear a black gloss very often! Because it's different people are going to go crazy for it. But it's just a trend. You wont be using it come spring!! ;0)

aleksis210

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_absinthe
It's great to see this trend going towards dark lips, however, it's also sort of annoying. Allow me to explain:

Though I don't categorize myself as "gothic", I certainly enjoy parts of the aesthetic and have incorporated some of it into my overall persona. Though I'm not one for black lips, it just seems odd to me that a culture such as popular fashionados is now following something that is often so mocked and ridiculed. Two years ago if a girl was seen with black lips, she'd almost immediately be met with cliched remarks-whether they were vocalized or just thought. Now Anna Wintour & Co. find black lips and goth aesthetic to be the latest allure, it's ok if someone who would've looked down upon the goth aesthetic to don it, not because they appreciate it so much as they want to fit in.

Meh.

I agree. I remember being made fun of for just my black polish.
th_rolleye0014.gif
...as far as black lipstick I think I'll just stick with my 'bing' mattene!

Dreamergirl3

I actually really REALLY want a black lipgloss but can't afford a dept store one atm. I'm interested in trying out Fyrinnaes!
~Fyrinnae~
and if I like the look, maybe I'll splurge on a more expensive one....