Black lips?!

mizuki~

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksis210
I agree. I remember being made fun of for just my black polish.
th_rolleye0014.gif
...as far as black lipstick I think I'll just stick with my 'bing' mattene!

Yeupp. I used to get made fun of a lot because of my black nail polish too and now it's "totally in"?
th_dunno.gif
Whatever, I'm excited to see how people will try to pull off black lips haha

jardinaires

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_absinthe
Though I don't categorize myself as "gothic", I certainly enjoy parts of the aesthetic and have incorporated some of it into my overall persona. Though I'm not one for black lips, it just seems odd to me that a culture such as popular fashionados is now following something that is often so mocked and ridiculed. Two years ago if a girl was seen with black lips, she'd almost immediately be met with cliched remarks-whether they were vocalized or just thought. Now Anna Wintour & Co. find black lips and goth aesthetic to be the latest allure, it's ok if someone who would've looked down upon the goth aesthetic to don it, not because they appreciate it so much as they want to fit in.

well, personally i think if someone in any small town were to wear this look they would most definitely get called gothic or a freak, because people in small towns as a general group tend to turn shock into dislike. if you were to walk down the street in, say, new york with this lip look, depending on how you styled yourself otherwise, you might shock people but 7 times out of 10 it will be the kind of thing that is viewed as innovative and refreshing. the look the fall seems to have gravitated away from smoked out eyes of the past few years, and toward a shocking, dark lip. makeup companies are pushing the envelope as far as they can to get people to buy into this look and make more money. they'll go so far as to offer a black lipstick or lipgloss, to appeal to those looking to be cutting edge or alternative. sometimes instead of trying to appeal to the masses, a makeup company will try to appeal to those looking for the "next big thing". while i think black lips might be hot on the runway, i don't realistically think i'm ever going to go out and see anyone other than a mall rat wearing anything on their lips darker than plum.

also, there are a lot of people who are inspired by the gothic aesthetic, and i think that aesthetic is just one of many that can help compile one person's personal style. that's why i'm liking this dark makeup trend for the fall, it combines glamour with neo-goth, texture with depth. i love it.

j_absinthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitternmyveins
I'm NW15/20, but with a little bronzer, some studio fix fluid and some awesome smokey eyes I think a black gloss would look hot. Mind you I'd only buy it if mac came out with it! I think for a mua this would be handy for photoshoots but realistically I wouldn't wear a black gloss very often! Because it's different people are going to go crazy for it. But it's just a trend. You wont be using it come spring!! ;0)

I think you should take another look...

blazeno.8

I already have the lipmix, I've noticed that the YSL one is already out of stock, so I'm looking at Lancome and can't find anything... I think that black lipmix (which is also sold out) is good enough with some clear gloss over it.

innocent

finally, black lipstick
th_DANCE.gif
being a goth person
smiles.gif
i'm always having trouble making black lipstick, i usually put black eye pencil and lipgloss on top
smiles.gif
and that's just not appropriate.
thnx YSL
thmbup.gif

User49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jardinaires
well, personally i think if someone in any small town were to wear this look they would most definitely get called gothic or a freak, because people in small towns as a general group tend to turn shock into dislike. if you were to walk down the street in, say, new york with this lip look, depending on how you styled yourself otherwise, you might shock people but 7 times out of 10 it will be the kind of thing that is viewed as innovative and refreshing. the look the fall seems to have gravitated away from smoked out eyes of the past few years, and toward a shocking, dark lip. makeup companies are pushing the envelope as far as they can to get people to buy into this look and make more money. they'll go so far as to offer a black lipstick or lipgloss, to appeal to those looking to be cutting edge or alternative. sometimes instead of trying to appeal to the masses, a makeup company will try to appeal to those looking for the "next big thing". while i think black lips might be hot on the runway, i don't realistically think i'm ever going to go out and see anyone other than a mall rat wearing anything on their lips darker than plum.

also, there are a lot of people who are inspired by the gothic aesthetic, and i think that aesthetic is just one of many that can help compile one person's personal style. that's why i'm liking this dark makeup trend for the fall, it combines glamour with neo-goth, texture with depth. i love it.

The thing is I know for a fact that if I bought that black lipgloss and I felt like looking 'goth' for one day, most of my trend based friends and possibly a lot of strangers in my small town would look at me like I was mental. I get really f'd off about this. And I cant' make up my mind weather or not the trends are fickle or inspiring. Or just a bit of both. It pisses me off that people can't just put it down to freedom of expression and accept it either way. If you wear it and your not a goth people are going to look and stare and if you wear it and you are a goth people are going to label you and stereotype your personality. So you can't win either way. I don't even care what people think. More often than not if I see someone looking different (real trend setters) I am inspired. So for the million people out there who are calling them names and mocking them, there is a handfull of people who are looking up and admiring them for being bold and not caring what they think. It's an age old thing. And the make up companies will buy into it and make us all wish we had a black gloss too. I'm fickle. I admit it. I want the black gloss. Even if I only wear it once!!

florabundance

I think i'd need to venture into reds or plums before going into blacks. Because i have big lips i've always convinced myself that a darker lip colour would have me looking like one big pair of lips and nothing else...i'm probably wrong, but i haven't worked up the courage to find out yet lol.

Black lips seem more arty to me than glam, and I never really have events that call for an 'arty' look.

reesesilverstar

If anybody's interested, NYX makes a black lipgloss that's really pigmented. I would swatch, but I'm at work right now.

It looks really good over plummy lipsticks. But I'd personally reserve it for editorial or at home fun. Or if I'm going to a party where I wanna stand right out. Def. not for the faint at heart!

lablonde

I think that only a few people look great with black lips. If I wear it it really looks terrible. I think when you have a darker skin it looks more pretty. I really want to see some pics with black lips :)

Heiaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by lablonde
I think that only a few people look great with black lips. If I wear it it really looks terrible. I think when you have a darker skin it looks more pretty. I really want to see some pics with black lips :)

http://specktra.net/f166/girls-were-...7/#post1263633
Here's my view on the black lips trend
smiles.gif
I prolly won't use it that much when on town, all though there are so many goths/metalhead here in Helsinki that people really wouldn't look me that much. At least not anymore that they look me wearing these boots

373ITA%7E4.jpg

Nox

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesesilverstar
If anybody's interested, NYX makes a black lipgloss that's really pigmented. I would swatch, but I'm at work right now.

It looks really good over plummy lipsticks. But I'd personally reserve it for editorial or at home fun. Or if I'm going to a party where I wanna stand right out. Def. not for the faint at heart!

Can you do a swatch later? I so wanna see this!
yes.gif

AlarmAgent

I'm surprised how many fairer-toned girls are saying they couldn't pull this look off! I'm as fair as they come, and I've always found darker toned lips provided a very interesting contrast to my skin. I've pretty much embraced that I'll always be the color of milk, so I don't mind of something makes me look even paler. I don't really see it at as ghastly, so much as I see it as unique, and very contrasting. Then again, I've got a real thing for contrast, so surely that colors my opinion. As an aside, I don't much wear blush when doing a deep lip look, maybe just the tiniest touch of bronzer or some light contouring.

Dark lips, dark hair, darkly framed eyes, and snowy skin...sounds lovely to me! I think anyone could do deeply-tinted lips, and more people could do pure black than are actually willing to try it. I'd say give it a little go in the comfort of your own home, maybe with a little of the ol' eyeliner-as-lipliner gag, and see how you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lara
I remember Dior releasing a black Plastic Shine gloss, what, ten years ago?

Ah yes, that came out in my middle school goth heyday, and I remember just begging my mother constantly to buy it for me. She was no huge fan of her thirteen year old vamping it up in junior high, so she never did. Instead, I had to old-school it with some chalky black eyeliner and a Caboodles lipgloss, hastily wiped off on the busride back home. Fancy! I wish YSL's version and the Lipmix wasn't sold out, I'd have certainly gotten it for myself this time around.

Heiaken

I just today bough a black lipstick
smiles.gif
It's from Make Up Store. I don't know how much I will actually use it, but I just had to. At least I have something "traditional" when I really want to vamp myself to a goth club
winks.gif

Miss QQ

Has anyone tried Bobbi Brown's Black Pearl Shimmer Gloss? It seems wearable - edgy without looking gothic.

reesesilverstar

Ok, I'm gonna be home this evening. So I'll swatch for you guys...

I haven't exfoliated in a while, so consider this fair warning! lol

Sanayhs

I am so excited for my black lipmix to get here in the mail. I'll mix that with clear gloss and have ever so much fun. I pulled out my old black lipstick and it had gone bad.
ssad.gif

I'm paler than NW15, by the way. And I'm not shy about dark lips or any sort of bold makeup.

Heiaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanayhs
I am so excited for my black lipmix to get here in the mail. I'll mix that with clear gloss and have ever so much fun. I pulled out my old black lipstick and it had gone bad.
ssad.gif

I'm paler than NW15, by the way. And I'm not shy about dark lips or any sort of bold makeup.

I'm the same
smiles.gif

I think that dark and bold colours accentuates fair skin. We all like Snow White who had "skin as white as snow, lips as red as blood, and hair as black as ebony" don't we
winks.gif