Brown Eyeliner on WOC Skintones

luvsic

Hey all,

I'm Asian and I just recently purchased some dark brown eyeliner because I was curious to see if it would look good on my skintone (about an NC30) at first I thought it was a myth that only blondes, light brunettes, and pale redheads should wear. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it looked less harsh, more natural, and overall pretty good! I have alien eyes without makeup, so I totally can't pull off a "fresh & natural" look without a little help. I just purchased a cheap NYC 99 cent pencil in dark brown, but I was very happy with the results. I am probably going to try another drugstore product though, because I have to tug and dig the pencil into my eyes to get any sort of color. But I think it looks beautiful kind of smudged out, so it's smokey but not overbearing and still natural looking. Great for an everyday look.

Just wanted to share my experiences! What do you ladies think of brown liner on your skintone?

pnuttbuttajelli

trust me, i was probably one of the main people thinking that brown is ridiculous, especially since most brown liners are my exact skintone, but i was wrong! especially if you're fairer, it's not as harsh/Bret Michaels Rock of Love-y and perfect for every day!

i recently purchased the HIP truth color cream eyeliner (seriously, why is the name so long?!) and i was surprised at how well it looked as an eyeliner!
i cannot live without topliner and i thought that it wouldn't show up or do anything for my face, but as a natural look it was PHENOMENAL!

that HIP one was just the perfect color and i applied it to the entire lid and LIGHTLY put Embark and Carbon on the outer corner, then doubled up the HIP as a liner, and in the crease and it came out well.

i'm pretty sure you can pull off the natural look. just got a shadow (creme or powder) that is a shade or two darker than you and probably another deeper brown corner for the outer lid and crease. maybe i'm not too familiar with what "alien eyes" are, but im sure it'll work for you.

i'm glad it worked out thus far! :)

TISH1124

I love brown liner when I am going for a soft not so dramatic eye....I am NC45...when I want my lips to be the focus I always use a brown liner or no liner

luvsic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnuttbuttajelli
trust me, i was probably one of the main people thinking that brown is ridiculous, especially since most brown liners are my exact skintone, but i was wrong! especially if you're fairer, it's not as harsh/Bret Michaels Rock of Love-y and perfect for every day!

i recently purchased the HIP truth color cream eyeliner (seriously, why is the name so long?!) and i was surprised at how well it looked as an eyeliner!
i cannot live without topliner and i thought that it wouldn't show up or do anything for my face, but as a natural look it was PHENOMENAL!

that HIP one was just the perfect color and i applied it to the entire lid and LIGHTLY put Embark and Carbon on the outer corner, then doubled up the HIP as a liner, and in the crease and it came out well.

i'm pretty sure you can pull off the natural look. just got a shadow (creme or powder) that is a shade or two darker than you and probably another deeper brown corner for the outer lid and crease. maybe i'm not too familiar with what "alien eyes" are, but im sure it'll work for you.

i'm glad it worked out thus far! :)

haha! well I'll explain what "alien eyes" are
smiles.gif

I have no definition whatsoever when my eyes don't have makeup...I mean, some people have very pretty shaped eyes, so they don't need much makeup to make them pop completely (some only need mascara and that's all.) However, my eyes are shaped like shortened footballs (I don't know if that quite makes sense) and I have pretty dark irises, so not a lot of white space + dark irises that blend in with pupils + not a large crease = alien eyes.

Now, as for me, I am in love with "long eyes" over "doll eyes" or large eyes...kind of like Elaine Irwin Mellecamp's eyes (the almay model's) or Jessica Gomes'. So I constantly try to imitate that. I just noticed black eyeliner is way too harsh for the day time, so I was looking for something more neutral.

Thank you so much for your tips! I will try them. I am also going to get a better liner tomorrow in brown because this one I have to pull and tug my eyes at to get a smidge of color out.

Here's a pic of the eye shape I adore (and wish I had!)

aaa09009.jpg

0000224695-88308L.jpg

08_jessica-gomes_16.jpg

jessica-gomes-1.jpg

KatRosier

I really agree that brown liner is do-able for WOC and is gorgeous for a "softer" look. However, I don't think all WOC can look natural with brown liner. I have jet black hair, black eyebrows, dark black lashes and dark olive skin and brown liner alone just doesn't look right. I tend to line thickly with brown and smudge it out, then do a super skinny line in black at the base otherwise I feel like a look sick. The only time I lined with brown and it looked OK was when I used brown mascara too, but then I didn't feel it looked softer and more natural..just washed out
ssad.gif
Maybe I'm using the wrong shade of brown or maybe I'm just used to black liner so everything else looks off to me, I don't know.

Nepenthe

Personally I love brown liner, so long as it's a dark brown (MAC's Coffee) it's pretty much interchangeable for me. The Rich Ground fluidline is also another favourite, for something different.

Lauren1981

i actually love brown eyeliner. i'm a NC50 tone and i use Teddy a lot (MAC) and it looks great. it's dark enough that it can still show on tones darker than me as well so even when i have a super duper tan it still shows and looks good. i i also love wearing that alone with some mascara on weekends when i'm just going to the beach or doing whatever

Lauren1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsic
haha! well I'll explain what "alien eyes" are
smiles.gif

I have no definition whatsoever when my eyes don't have makeup...I mean, some people have very pretty shaped eyes, so they don't need much makeup to make them pop completely (some only need mascara and that's all.) However, my eyes are shaped like shortened footballs (I don't know if that quite makes sense) and I have pretty dark irises, so not a lot of white space + dark irises that blend in with pupils + not a large crease = alien eyes.

Now, as for me, I am in love with "long eyes" over "doll eyes" or large eyes...kind of like Elaine Irwin Mellecamp's eyes (the almay model's) or Jessica Gomes'. So I constantly try to imitate that. I just noticed black eyeliner is way too harsh for the day time, so I was looking for something more neutral.

Thank you so much for your tips! I will try them. I am also going to get a better liner tomorrow in brown because this one I have to pull and tug my eyes at to get a smidge of color out.

Here's a pic of the eye shape I adore (and wish I had!)

aaa09009.jpg

0000224695-88308L.jpg

08_jessica-gomes_16.jpg

jessica-gomes-1.jpg

i love how women with hooded eyes can just smudge the eyeliner to make a smokey eye. it looks so good

luvsic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatRosier
I really agree that brown liner is do-able for WOC and is gorgeous for a "softer" look. However, I don't think all WOC can look natural with brown liner. I have jet black hair, black eyebrows, dark black lashes and dark olive skin and brown liner alone just doesn't look right. I tend to line thickly with brown and smudge it out, then do a super skinny line in black at the base otherwise I feel like a look sick. The only time I lined with brown and it looked OK was when I used brown mascara too, but then I didn't feel it looked softer and more natural..just washed out
ssad.gif
Maybe I'm using the wrong shade of brown or maybe I'm just used to black liner so everything else looks off to me, I don't know.

I know what you mean! I am really hesitant to try dark brown mascara because my lashes are naturally black too. I want to see if wearing brown liner with black fake lashes works...I tried it and it didn't look too bad, but I'm still not sure o_O. I have very deep brown hair, it's almost black, but I have a lot of natural highlights so in the light it just looks dark brown. However, I have an olive skintone and I need to experiment around a little bit in order to get the right "look" i'm going for.

Lauren - hah, if only that procedure were enough to make my eyes look good...I have a VERY small crease and small double eyelid, but since my eyes are shaped funny doing that just looks very odd.
ssad.gif
need more experimentation.

nepenthe - gotta try out those colors :O ... I should stop by my local MAC store when I get the chance.

Why can't my eyes look *striking*?? Whenever I try to give someone the *sexy eyes* it looks like I'm either half asleep or dying! *sigh*

elaine_irwin_mellencamp_photo_8.jpg

Nepenthe

Let me know how the colours work out for you, if you do pick them up.
greengrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsic
Why can't my eyes look *striking*?? Whenever I try to give someone the *sexy eyes* it looks like I'm either half asleep or dying! *sigh*

I've got a few friends that are really good at striking the "sexy eyes" pose.. and I hate them for it. >.>

I can't do it either. >.<

haru5

i'm also NC30 and i have almond shaped eyes. I tried brown eyeliner because I wanted a natural look since black liner look a little gothic on me.. I smudge just a little on my lower lash line but it made me look like I haven't slept for days
ssad.gif
now the only thing i use as brown liner is Dark Edge eyeshadow.

MAChostage

Take a look at Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide On eyepencil in Bourbon. It has a tiny bit of glitter, but it's a nice brown.

luvsic

If only i had enough money in the world to try out all these liners :O ... I will definitely drop by sephora to check those colors out though. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

So I finally figured out how to emulate a ~sultry~ look when it comes to eyes. Of course, when I still shoot *sexy eyes* towards the camera it comes out as a fail, but it looks fine in person. lol.

You take the brown liner and smudge it out a little past the edge of your eye, and rim your inner corners. I know there's all this who-ha about doing that will make Asian eyes look smaller, but I don't care in this case. Plus, you tightline like crazy and lightly and thinly line the bottom of your eyes. I'm still perfecting it with my craptastic NYC pencil but it looks ok so far!

Nepenthe - lol, if anything at all i'm totally trying to break the "cute" stereotype stamped onto Asians most of the time. It's really hard to transition from "cute" to "sexy", but makeup and wardrobe (and hair) can really do wonders
smiles.gif

luvsic

Just one question with eye pencils - I know sharpening can be a hassle, but overall they are easier to smudge out, right? I love the subtle and smokey look they can give. I don't want a brown that's too dark or too harsh (too close to black) or else there won't really be a point in changing to brown.

MAChostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashona Heléna
I love brown liner. The Nighthawk/Front Row pencil = love for me.

I love the color and consistency of that pencil, but that bad boy smudges like CRAZY!

anita22

I'm NC30 and always use brown eyeliner on my lower lashline. I just find black looks way too harsh (although it's fine on the upper lashline). Lately I've been using a Prestige pencil, smudged, or else Bobbi Brown gel liner in Chocolate Shimmer Ink
smiles.gif

MAChostage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anita22
I'm NC30 and always use brown eyeliner on my lower lashline. I just find black looks way too harsh (although it's fine on the upper lashline). Lately I've been using a Prestige pencil, smudged, or else Bobbi Brown gel liner in Chocolate Shimmer Ink
smiles.gif

I'd forgotten all about this one! The only Bobbi Brown products I own are this and the Ivy Shimmer Ink gel liner. They're lovely, it's just easier for me to use pencils so I always forget about them. Thanks for mentioning it!