Can MAC artists make YouTube videos?

Ambonee

I remember vaguely someone mentioning at Basic that if you work for MAC you cannot go on film and talk about the make-up in any form. They said that only the senior artists were allowed to talk on any sort of media relating to MAC. My trainer even said, once the camera was pointed at her and she smiled and pointed to the SA cause she was not allowed to speak on film. Anyone know for sure what the rules are regarding this?

and how does that apply to YouTube posters?
th_confused_new.gif
I keep getting asked to post tutorials but I am SO afraid of being fired that I just brush it off. But I kind of want to start making tuts...I wouldn't mention that I worked for MAC or that my way was the only way or anything lol. Does anyone know for sure?? I've made one picture tutorial (here) but that was when I was freelancing so I'm at a loss
th_dunno.gif
I love my job so I was hoping to find an answer here.

Update is in two weeks so I will ask there as well but I thought maybe someone on this board would know. Sorry for the ramblings and thanks to any help you guys offer.
smiles.gif

gildedangel

I think that the policy is just that you can't say that you work for MAC, but I could be wrong. Honestly, how likely is it that your boss is going to find your video on youtube and fire you?

Little Addict

i know that there are some people out there on youtube who do work for mac and talk about it. so maybe they just have to say positive things and not talk about customers. idk

II3rinII

i have videos on youtube, i mention that i work for mac i talk about our products and everything is in a positive light. however i think it really pertains to "real media" like being interviewed at fashion week. you tube is kind of for ametuers. but truth be told, we make a ton of sales from youtube vids. people come in all the time saying they saw a video on youtube and wanted to see those products. speaking of that, did you all see the article in elle about youtube video gurus? pancea and sparkage are mentioned. how cool is that?

II3rinII

ugh... they arent that good, i need to start doing them again. i havent made any new ones in over a year. im kind of embarrassed.

II3rinII

oh i have them, they are just old and kinda cheesy (to me0 its youtube.com/artistrybyerin but remember i warned ya!

Boasorte

some work for MAC< I heard that Leesha aka Xsparkage does, and someone else named Boylre did but he had to take down the vids in which he said he worked at MAC

Lolli.Day

I was also wondering the same thing! I know amy04 is a youtube guru and works for MAC... Do you recommend keeping hush about being a yt guru/beauty blogger with fellow MAC employees and manager?

JULIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWestchesterNY
some work for MAC< I heard that Leesha aka Xsparkage does, and someone else named Boylre did but he had to take down the vids in which he said he worked at MAC

She did work for MAC, not anymore.

nunu

There are quite a few MAC MUA's and freelancers who have make up videos. If you want to do it then go for it but you don't need to mention that you work there.
I would love to see videos from you because i have always loved your fotd's and picture tutorials
smiles.gif

nursee81

Quote:
Originally Posted by II3rinII
i have videos on youtube, i mention that i work for mac i talk about our products and everything is in a positive light. however i think it really pertains to "real media" like being interviewed at fashion week. you tube is kind of for ametuers. but truth be told, we make a ton of sales from youtube vids. people come in all the time saying they saw a video on youtube and wanted to see those products. speaking of that, did you all see the article in elle about youtube video gurus? pancea and sparkage are mentioned. how cool is that?

your videos helped me get some basic thing!!! THANKS!!!

DirtyPlum

Not sure, will check what my contract says.

I know Nic from Pixiwoo (youtube) works at Pro store, London.

LatteQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by boudoirblonde
Your not allowed to make youtube videos if you work for MAC in Australia

u know this is so stupid...MAC says u can't do videos if u work for them but it's ok to falsify their makeup usage when using OTHER BRANDS OF MAKEUP TO SELL ONE OF THEIR COLLECTIONS..SMDH.. for instant: Colour Craft and in the back ground there was a pic of some makeup brand named Ben Nye..yeah right.

NappyMACDiva3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatteQueen
u know this is so stupid...MAC says u can't do videos if u work for them but it's ok to falsify their makeup usage when using OTHER BRANDS OF MAKEUP TO SELL ONE OF THEIR COLLECTIONS..SMDH.. for instant: Colour Craft and in the back ground there was a pic of some makeup brand named Ben Nye..yeah right.

I thought they used Ben Nye as a base like a paint pot?
th_dunno.gif
At least I hope they did, like I use kryolan as a base sometimes.
mac_addict.gif

LineausBH58

Yes this is what my new mgr told me. The Pro Artist are media trained... but as for YT... she told me just don't shout it out... but continue like normal.
I have been making YT videos since Jan 08 .... and I just became partner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by II3rinII

jessiaka

It's in our contracts, I believe in the big Estee Lauder book... no online/media/blogging, etc. Possibility of termination if you get caught. Better to be safe than sorry!

nebbish

I think that's silly, personally. There's a lot of girls who work for MAC who post YT vids. I can't think of any names off the top of my head, but there's definitely a few. They don't say anything about LOOK WHAT I GOT AS GRATIS or anything negative about the company. I think if you're just posting tuts it shouldn't matter -- I mean, you kind of get paid to do the same thing on a live person anyway.