Can Sephora sell you a product that was already used?

bubbleys

So today I bought a MUFE Full Cover concealer and when I got home I opened it and the tip of the applicator had makeup on it like someone had already squeezed some out. I know 100% I did not accidently squeeze the tube when I took it out of the box. The last time I bought this the tip had no makeup in it and was completely clean. I want to bring it back this afternoon to exchange it for a new one. Isn't it supposed to be clean?

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleys
So today I bought a MUFE Full Cover concealer and when I got home I opened it and the tip of the applicator had makeup on it like someone had already squeezed some out. I know 100% I did not accidently squeeze the tube when I took it out of the box. The last time I bought this the tip had no makeup in it and was completely clean. I want to bring it back this afternoon to exchange it for a new one. Isn't it supposed to be clean?

I highly doubt that Sephora intentionally put used cosmetics back on the shelf. In fact that I am almost 100% that is not what happened. What probably happened is that someone open the box, squeezed some perhaps, and put it and the box back on the shelf. Customers do have access to the products after all. If you are freaked out about it, just exchange it, and check the box for a clean product. HTH.

bubbleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle_Twinkle
I highly doubt that Sephora intentionally put used cosmetics back on the shelf. In fact that I am almost 100% that is not what happened. What probably happened is that someone open the box, squeezed some perhaps, and put it and the box back on the shelf. Customers do have access to the products after all. If you are freaked out about it, just exchange it, and check the box for a clean product. HTH.

Yeah I was thinking about that. Thanks! What would I say when I go to return it? That I think my product was already opened and if I can get a new one?

spunky

i would imagine they have strict health and safety procedures where they can't and won't re-sell products. they're a reputable chain and i can't see them opening themselves up to lawsuits for illness/injury caused by improper hygiene practices.

like the above poster says, it's more likely that another customer has done that, rather than it being a returned product. i'd take it back and ask for an exchange
smiles.gif

obscuria

Someone probably opened the box and tested it. This has happened to me once before, I just took it back and they gave me one that wasn't used.
Every time I have returned something I didn't like they had to mark it and throw it in a box.

TwiggyPop

They absolutely would not sell you an item that they knew was used. I'm sure it was a client. I've seen plenty of people open up a new box and check it out themselves, some creeps even test a brand new one on their hand even if there is a tester right in front of them. If any employee at Sephora saw someone do that they would take the product and throw it in the damages box.
They do sell things that people have bought and returned though, if its a concealer pot like Benefit Erase Paste they will make sure it wasn't used and put it back on the shelf. If it was something like mascara where you can't be sure they will throw it out.

marusia

Yuck. Once I bought a tube of Carmex at walmart...after I went to the parking lot, I went to put it on my chapped lips, and there was hair and dirt in the opening. How nasty can people be?!

Kragey

Quote:
Originally Posted by marusia
Yuck. Once I bought a tube of Carmex at walmart...after I went to the parking lot, I went to put it on my chapped lips, and there was hair and dirt in the opening. How nasty can people be?!

UGH! I'm going to have nightmares from that thought.
nope.gif

bubbleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by marusia

Eww, I probably would've start throwing up in the parking lot, eek. Why are people so disgusting!?

Thanks guys for the help, problem solved! I took it back and the saleswoman made sure to check the box for a new one. =)

Twinkle_Twinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleys
Eww, I probably would've start throwing up in the parking lot, eek. Why are people so disgusting!?

Thanks guys for the help, problem solved! I took it back and the saleswoman made sure to check the box for a new one. =)

Yay! I have returned items to MAC within minutes of purchasing them because I felt uneasy about the way a MA has opened a product, touched a sponge, put it on the counter, etc. I am easily freaked out by stuff like that so I completely understand. Glad it's all taken care of.

xKiKix

a few months ago i went to sephora to buy roman holiday lipstick after my purchase i shopped around the mall then when i got to my car i opened the box and the cap was missing with the lipstick smashed ALL of the box, i ran back to the store and explained everything to them and they were disappointed that customers had done that. fortunately i was able to exchange it with a new one.

SUMM3RxBABii

Yeah, a lot of the times, people just open the brand new products in boxes to test the new ones instead of the testers, which really sucks for everyone else. But I doubt Sephora did that intentionally, but I'm so glad you got your exchange! That's why I always check the inside the boxes I'm buying because Sephora is a mess sometimes and you see destroyed boxes =/

FiestyFemme

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMM3RxBABii
That's why I always check the inside the boxes I'm buying because Sephora is a mess sometimes and you see destroyed boxes =/

I do this too! You can never be too careful when the product is just available to the public. I always open boxes or make sure things are still completely sealed. It just grosses me out to think someone used it before me... you just don't know if people are clean or not (and I'm leaning towards not).

Mabelle

Yea, this is super annoying, but a lot of customers feel compelled to make their own testers, ie; the open a liv product and test it on themselves regardless of the fact that there is a clearly labels tester right in front of their damn eyes. It's SO Annoying and we loose SO much money this way. It happens the most with brushes (they take off the protective plastic and use them a lot of the time), but its not super uncommon that it happens with another product.

I don't know if it makes a diffrence to you or not, but it was most likely only used the once by some snotty faced kid/spoiled soccer mom in store (sorry to sterotype, but at my store thats who does it), so if you dont feel like hauling ass to your sephora for an exchange, the likelyhood that your missing more than a teensy amount in low. Hwoever, if you do want a product that is 100% full do exchange it.

There is another possibility; when we do returns, we always ask if the product has been used or not. If not, then we put it back onstage to sell. Now, if they say the product has not been used, and it didn't have a protective seal, we as the SAs are supposed to try and verify... It's possible the SA did, or forgot and just put it back.

btw, your going to LOVE the full cover. It's my go to concealer. Covers everything, isn't uber thick, oil free and water proof! Imo you picked up the best.

bubbleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabelle
Yea, this is super annoying, but a lot of customers feel compelled to make their own testers, ie; the open a liv product and test it on themselves regardless of the fact that there is a clearly labels tester right in front of their damn eyes. It's SO Annoying and we loose SO much money this way. It happens the most with brushes (they take off the protective plastic and use them a lot of the time), but its not super uncommon that it happens with another product.

I don't know if it makes a diffrence to you or not, but it was most likely only used the once by some snotty faced kid/spoiled soccer mom in store (sorry to sterotype, but at my store thats who does it), so if you dont feel like hauling ass to your sephora for an exchange, the likelyhood that your missing more than a teensy amount in low. Hwoever, if you do want a product that is 100% full do exchange it.

There is another possibility; when we do returns, we always ask if the product has been used or not. If not, then we put it back onstage to sell. Now, if they say the product has not been used, and it didn't have a protective seal, we as the SAs are supposed to try and verify... It's possible the SA did, or forgot and just put it back.

btw, your going to LOVE the full cover. It's my go to concealer. Covers everything, isn't uber thick, oil free and water proof! Imo you picked up the best.

I actually bought it last year january and had to return it because I had scarring that were way too dark for it to cover. So instead I was using MAC studiofinish concealer. It looked so cakey but it was the onlyy thing that would cover. Now that the scars are lighter I decided to try it again and I more than LOVE it!! This was the first time in my life I didn't look muddy after class and I wanted to cry (of happiness) haha. It feels so light and ahh everyone should have this!

HOTasFCUK

When i bought a Benefit creaseless eyeshadow at Sephora, luckily i took a look inside. Sure enough, someone smeared their dirty fingers in there to use it as a tester since there wasn't one on the shelf. Now i always take a qick peek inside my boxes before i pay. I blame Sephora though. Some of those sales girls stand around talking all day and don't bother helping customers. Maybe you should take a walk around and see what needs a new tester put out so customers don't have to resort to opening brand new products just to try them out? Another reason why i love MAC. They keep all their stuff behind the counters or in drawers!

Mabelle

Customers should ask if a tester is missing and not presume that they are entitled to open products, play with them and put them back.

If a tester is missing it may be due to the fact that an SA is demoing it on someone, or that the testers can only be ordered from the company (we can't make tester out of live products for about 50% of the brands in the store. this goes for all of fragrance) It's annoying if a tester isnt there, but i think it is so freaking snotty to presume you can do whatever you want to a product you are not buying.

xKiKix

^^^ yup, usually when i go to sephora and i am trying to find a product and it is not there i would find a rep there and ask them about it. its just not right to grab a new product and decide to test it out and then stick it back into the shelves. ppl are going to grab that without thinking that someone had tested on that.

Latest posts