!!!!!Coastal Scents Controversy!!!!! PLEASE WATCH

blindpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyVictoria
It saddens me how few people tried to investigate the source of this information or think for themselves. Just because someone said so on you tube doesn't mean it's true.

I agree completely. When I watched that first video, sure shes a nice girl, but she admitted that the first info she found was just on a forum... there are many people who believe many things that aren't true, thats why I won't stop using the product until I come across real research from scientists and doctors, or until the product is recalled. Im emailing MUFE today just to see what kind of documentation they can provide me with as far as the powder goes, just out of curiousity.

CreamPuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
I hear you, I was only referring to MUFE because that is the product I have experience with.

That may be true. But then again, you don't know where coastal scents gets their silica. There is a possibility that it can be tainted and if that's the case then well that can be very dangerous. (ok, maybe that was incorrect to say but there have been a lot of product recalled and all of them were FDA approved as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyVictoria
It saddens me how few people tried to investigate the source of this information or think for themselves. Just because someone said so on you tube doesn't mean it's true.

Once again, the girl never claimed she was a scientist or anything. She decided to share some information she came upon and it was a legitimate concern. She even advised people to do their own research. The whole situation got out of control after CC handled it extremely unprofessionally. Also those people don't know what they are doing or what silica is exactly as proven by their erratic ever changing disclaimer of the powder on their own website.

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
I think most people are taking issue with the professionalism of how an online company has handled this, it's not only about the product, it's how the owners of the company chose to defend their actions...

This thread has been merged with two others which were concerned primarily with product safety and that's the sensationalist twist being used to promote the story.

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamPuffer
That may be true. But then again, you don't know where coastal scents gets their silica. There is a possibility that it can be tainted and if that's the case then well that can be very dangerous.

Coastal Scents uses cosmetic grade silica. It isn't tainted. You can read an ingredient analysis report here

The product is cosmetic grade and FDA approved for cosmetic use.

It must pass the following specifications;

Quote:
Test Name Specification Test Methods
Appearance Spherical Shaped White Powder Visual
Odor None Organoleptic
Loss on Drying, % Min : 0 - Max : 7 1hrs. @ 105°C
Microbiology Less Than 100 Organisms Per Gram With Current USP Microbial Limit Test
No Pathogens
Loss on Ignition, % Min : 0 - Max : 18 3hrs. @ 500°C
Average Particle Size, µm Min : 10 - Max : 14 Coulter Counter Model TA-II
Particle Size Range, µm Min : 2 - Max : 20 Light Scattering Sizer
Arsenic, ppm Min : 0 - Max : 2 CTFA Method F 1-1, Silver
Diethyldithiocarbamate
Lead, ppm Min : 0 - Max : 10 Weak Acid Extraction AA Method
Oil Absorption, g. / 100g. Min : 125 - Max : 140 ASTM Method D281-84
Linseed Oil
SiO2, % Min : 98 - Max : 100 JSCI Method
Specific Surface Area, m2/g Min : 728 - Max : 928 Singlepoint BET

Please let's have no more uninformed scaremongering about safety.

Meisje

I'm not really concerned about the safety aspect at this point, but I'm really sad CS would treat a customer like that. It doesn't seem like much forethought went into attacking this customer, because this will likely have serious financial repercussions in terms of lost orders.

CS has been growing steadily and maybe this would be a good time for them to consult a professional publicist for help dealing with this kind of thing, to ensure disagreements are handled in a more diplomatic manner.

radarlove

Re: PLEASE READ:about coastal scents(very bad news)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8me

The problem with data from an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) is that you have to have some scientific background to understand it and I don't think the girl in the YouTube does. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

This is indeed true! Just because something says hazardous on the MSDS does not mean it is at all dangerous at average levels of exposure. I remember this from my organic chemistry classes in university - common compounds like salt (as mentioned) and vanillin are listed as hazardous. It depends very much on concentration, exposure level, etc. The MSDS should be read with these things in mind and are not necessarily good indicators of risks associated with common use.

That said, I'll never order from Coastal Scents because a) you don't treat a customer that way, b) their website seems shady/their products are cheap and too good to be true.

elegant-one

Re: PLEASE READ:about coastal scents(very bad news)

Quote:

THERE IS NO HEALTH RISK TO CONSUMERS WHO USE COASTAL SCENTS SILICA SPHERES POWDER SENSIBLY.

If you snort it, you're on your own!

Wow, you're smart, funny and have 'great assets'!
greengrin.gif
th_wink3.gif

MACLovin

Quote:
Effectively none. They are both silica powder but that is NOT DANGEROUS in normal cosmetic use. It's only hazardous if you inhale it and you shouldn't be snorting it when you are applying it.

What about skin contact? Isn't that what the MSDS said, that it's a skin irritant? Or was I reading the wrong one?

caffn8me

Common salt is a skin irritant, talc is a skin irritant. The vast majority of people will be able to go to the beach (where the sand is mostly silica) and get no skin irritation from it or the salt in the seawater.

Reactions are very rare and most likely harmless. Think of the MSDS as giving the very worst case scenario and giving advice for that.

Imagine what would happen if one person in ten thousand gets a reaction to prolonged skin contact (I have no idea what the actual incidence of reactions is) but that one person happened to work in a manufacturing plant where silica powder was used and the employer hadn't provided protective clothing in accordance with the MSDS recommendations. Can you spell lawsuit?

However uncommon reactions are, the MSDS still has to take into account the fact that they may happen. It errs on the side of caution, always.

You have far more dangerous chemicals in your cupboards at home.

carlierae26

Quote:
Common salt is a skin irritant, talc is a skin irritant. The vast majority of people will be able to go to the beach (where the sand is mostly silica) and get no skin irritation from it or the salt in the seawater.

Reactions are very rare and most likely harmless. Think of the MSDS as giving the very worst case scenario and giving advice for that.

Imagine what would happen if one person in ten thousand gets a reaction to prolonged skin contact (I have no idea what the actual incidence of reactions is) but that one person happened to work in a manufacturing plant where silica powder was used and the employer hadn't provided protective clothing in accordance with the MSDS recommendations. Can you spell lawsuit?

However uncommon reactions are, the MSDS still has to take into account the fact that they may happen. It errs on the side of caution, always.

You have far more dangerous chemicals in your cupboards at home.

This is such a fine powder, it's bound to create clouds of dust that's easily breathed in. You can't control how much of this stuff is airborne, nor can you control (with out ventilation) how much is breathed in. How much can you breath in with out it harming you? If there's any chance of harm, then it should be pulled off the shelf. Or, at the very least, a warning should be issued on the package to not breath this stuff... and let us as consumers, take that risk with out harm to the company that produced this stuff. And since this is fine powder, you can easily "snort" this stuff.

But I think the hype is more about the treatment versus the product. I've heard a few horror stories about CS.

ohnna-lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlierae26
And since this is fine powder, you can easily "snort" this stuff.

I've heard a few horror stories about CS.

forms a fine line and readies straw...
drools.gif

it's like crack man, no wonder we are addicted.

blindpassion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnna-lee
drools.gif

*pulls out her mac gift card... crushes and separates silica powder*

winks.gif

xxManBeaterxx

Quote:
drools.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
*pulls out her mac gift card... crushes and separates silica powder*

winks.gif

lolololol! Thats 2 funny
lol.gif

caffn8me

Quote:
This is such a fine powder, it's bound to create clouds of dust that's easily breathed in. You can't control how much of this stuff is airborne, nor can you control (with out ventilation) how much is breathed in. How much can you breath in with out it harming you? If there's any chance of harm, then it should be pulled off the shelf.

You can control how much silica powder from makeup you breathe in. You can exhale while applying it if it upsets you, you can apply it with a good brush rather than a very fluffy powder puff and then don't breathe in while you brush the excess off.

You cannot control what grain size there is on a beach - some of the dust particles will be finer than silica powder used in cosmetics. Sand carries the same hazards as silica powder - see the MSDS for washed, dried sand here. Using a silica based makeup powder as intended indoors is going to stir up a whole load less breathable fine particle dust than being on a beach in a strong wind.

Don't breathe the powder in as you apply it and don't snort it. You'll be fine.

How many people died in the whole of the USA as a result of occupational exposure to silica dust? In 2004 this was 166 [Data source]. How many people were shot dead in the USA in a comparable period? In 2005 the number of people killed in firearms incidents was 30,694 [Date source]

What about death from automobile accidents? In 2005 it was 43,510 [Data source]

So; you are 185 times more likely to be shot dead than you are likely to die from exposure to silica on industrial levels as part of your work. As a consumer using makeup as directed your exposure to silica dust is very much lower than industrial workers are exposed to.

You are 262 times more likely to be killed in an automobile accident than you are to be killed by heavy occupational exposure to silica.

I hope this puts the relative risks in perspective.

traxter

Quote:
This is such a fine powder, it's bound to create clouds of dust that's easily breathed in. You can't control how much of this stuff is airborne, nor can you control (with out ventilation) how much is breathed in. How much can you breath in with out it harming you? If there's any chance of harm, then it should be pulled off the shelf. Or, at the very least, a warning should be issued on the package to not breath this stuff... and let us as consumers, take that risk with out harm to the company that produced this stuff. And since this is fine powder, you can easily "snort" this stuff.

But I think the hype is more about the treatment versus the product. I've heard a few horror stories about CS.

I TOTALLY AGREE! If you are using this product everyday...you are bound to inhale it. It's sooo fine..much finer than salt or even mineral veil..I don't see how it can be safe to inhale.

I don't think 100% silica has been tested for safety in use of cosmetics.
In the US..cosmetics are not required to be tested to be sold over the counter. And in California I heard there is a proposition to ban silica.

Also how can Coastal Scents sell customers Silica to use cosmetically ..when EVEN ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE..IT"S LISTED AS AN INGREDIENT TO ADD TO OTHER POWDERS. ITS LISTED AS A FILLER.. NOT AS A FINISHED COSMETIC FOR USE AS A FINISHING POWDER. So who knows how this has been processed..?
YOU RECEIVE A PLASTIC JAR WITH POWDER AND NO ACTUAL INGREDIENTS LIST FROM THEM OR WARNING LABELS.

THIS TO ME IS UNPROFESSIONAL. Sorry to type in all caps..but it makes me so mad!

The Point of Erin's video is being lost here..She clearly points out that MUFE sells HD Powder and not a cosmetic filler that CS has listed on their website. Silica can be processed and combined with other powders ..and customers do not know what they are getting. Instead they are getting BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE FROM COASTAL SCENTS.
thmbdn.gif

caffn8me

Talking of white powders, I used to work with someone who who snorted white powder occasionally. One evening after getting drunk he was introduced to Tequila for the first time drunk as per the description of "Tequila cruda" here with salt on the back of his hand. Well, when the word "go" was shouted, he snorted the salt out of habit. That made his eyes water!
greengrin.gif

ohnna-lee

Quote:
You can control how much silica powder from makeup you breathe in. You can exhale while applying it if it upsets you, you can apply it with a good brush rather than a very fluffy powder puff and then don't breathe in while you brush the excess off.

It is better to exhale, powder all over your nose hairs really is not attractive.

But it smeellls so good *sniff sniff sniff
thud.gif
crap, one down!

caffn8me

Quote:
It is better to exhale, powder all over your nose hairs really is not attractive.

But it smeellls so good *sniff sniff sniff
thud.gif
crap, one down!

rofl.gif
Sooo funny!

traxter

Well I guess it's funny..but I REALLY DON"T WANT TO INHALE 100% SILICA..and it's SAD that Coastal Scents doesn't care enough about it's customers to provide proper labels and warnings!!
thmbdn.gif
thmbdn.gif
thmbdn.gif
thmbdn.gif

ninaxmac

I have one brush from Coastal Scents and was planning on ordering a few more this week, but there has been something in my head telling me not to. I know it's the powder's thats caused the controversy, but who knows if their brushes are being contaminated to. SO glad I listen to the little chatter going on inside of my head.