Disappointing first trip to M.A.C.!

xtiffineyx

Okay, so I've been so excited all week to finally go to the MAC counter for the VERY FIRST TIME. It's almost an hour away, so this evening me and my mom go over to get some Studio Tech for my photos coming up.

Once I get there I spot the counter and make my way over to get color matched. I begin by telling her that I wear SPF all the time on my face and that my face and my neck are much lighter than my body because of it (I tan my body a little bit, but never ever my face due to my acne medicine), and I told her that I blend my makeup all the way down my neck so it all blends in with my chest & the rest of my body. So she goes "Well I think your a NC15, and she swiped it on my face, and it seemed super white on me, so I ask her to swipe on an NC20 and she goes "uhh okay" and she puts it on and I couldn't tell the difference between the two, so I said "I've never been color matched before so I'm going to trust your judgement." So long story short, she applies the NC15 Studio Tech all over my face and then she hands me the mirror and it's like
shockt.gif
! I'm telling you, I looked sick and on the brink of death. It was wayyy too much compared to the rest of my body and arms. (I wore a v-neck shirt specifically so she could see the difference from my chest and my arms). So shes telling me it looks good and it matches great so I thought "it could just be really harsh under these bright lights" so I buy both the foundation & the powder. We had more shopping to do so once I get out in the car a little while later in natural light its still just as ghostly white. My feet were killing me & I was going to have to make another trip over to the mall later in the week so I just figured I'd exchange it for a darker color when I was back over there.

I get home and decide to play around with it, and I get to looking and she sold me Studio Fix instead of Tech. So I was disappointed about that, but decided to try on what she gave me. Nope still wayyyyy to light. Now I know I'm not a very tanned girl, I'm not trying to kid myself there, but this was just ridiculous. I guess it's hard to try to match up your face to your body.
th_dunno.gif
lol

I didn't want this to come off as a rant or anything, because my MA was super nice and friendly, it's just that I'm feeling a bit disappointed with the whole thing
ssad.gif

jardinaires

i'm very sorry this happened to you. i've also been sold studio fix instead of studio tech before, and the MAs that have done this to me have all been great to me, so i will say this can be chalked up to a simple mistake. the color matching, however, is a liiiittle different.

everyone likes to look a certain way, some prefer to look more fair (makeup wise) and some prefer to "fake" a tan with bronzers or maybe some foundation that is a shade darker and just blended neatly so it creates a color illusion of the skin being more tanned. for this reason the color of your foundation is definitely a personal preference, and the MA was not respecting your personal preference when making you so intimidated into buying the nc15 foundation that you caved in the end and did so. i feel like maybe they should have given you more options, as opposed to nc15/nc20. one thing you can do if you can't get a color that is just the right shade, is to get a select sheer pressed powder in a darker OR lighter shade and use that to even things out a little bit, depending on what shade of foundation you end up getting (IE, a shade to generally match the rest of your body, or a shade to match your face/neck)

also, another option is to go talk to another MA instead of whoever that one was next time, and let them know the situation as far as how you don't want to look washed out but you don't want to look like you're wearing caked-up foundation in the wrong color. i hope everything works out.

juicygirl

that's such a bummer!! &&you were so super excited as well. =[ i dont want anyone to attack me but i have had a lot of experience with MAs not really listening to what i wanted. like i have gone in and asked the MA to match me before and just like you, it is not good results. i always think it is just in my head but when five people in a row comment that you look different and you say "in a good way?" and they quickly respond, "well...just different!" you know it's not just in your head. don't let it put you off though. i find that when i do tons of research online and then go in with my selection narrowed down to two, i get better results. also the more you get to know the ma, the better. &&go super early!! like when they first open!! always better because they are less stressed out.

xtiffineyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jardinaires
i'm very sorry this happened to you. i've also been sold studio fix instead of studio tech before, and the MAs that have done this to me have all been great to me, so i will say this can be chalked up to a simple mistake. the color matching, however, is a liiiittle different.

everyone likes to look a certain way, some prefer to look more fair (makeup wise) and some prefer to "fake" a tan with bronzers or maybe some foundation that is a shade darker and just blended neatly so it creates a color illusion of the skin being more tanned. for this reason the color of your foundation is definitely a personal preference, and the MA was not respecting your personal preference when making you so intimidated into buying the nc15 foundation that you caved in the end and did so. i feel like maybe they should have given you more options, as opposed to nc15/nc20. one thing you can do if you can't get a color that is just the right shade, is to get a select sheer pressed powder in a darker OR lighter shade and use that to even things out a little bit, depending on what shade of foundation you end up getting (IE, a shade to generally match the rest of your body, or a shade to match your face/neck)

also, another option is to go talk to another MA instead of whoever that one was next time, and let them know the situation as far as how you don't want to look washed out but you don't want to look like you're wearing caked-up foundation in the wrong color. i hope everything works out.

Thank you so much! :hugs: I kinda felt bratty typing that out. I was afraid people would just think I was being too picky. I wasn't too impressed with how she applied it either, you could still see my acne and hyper pigmentation. I felt like she hardly put any on. Not that I wanted it to be caked on. I dunno, I guess that since I've gotten so used to covering up my acne so well myself it's hard for someone else to replicate it to my liking. lol.

I definitely like to look more tanned, and yes my face makeup is much darker than my actual skin on my face but I blend it well into my neck & chest so it all matches.

Thanks for your suggestion about the powder to even it out!
thmbup.gif
She gave me NC15, and I thought about getting my Tech in NC25 and trading my powder for an NC20. I'm glad they have a friendly return/exchange policy. lol.

BeautyPsycho

Well... I don't see a big problem here
smiles.gif
Just go back and ask someone else to match you, or just try on NC20 and see if that looks better and exchange it... but I kinda think your MUA didn't do anything wrong, because when they match you for foundation, they match your face, not your body or face to the body... So if your face is naturally lighter than your body, and if that foundation matches your FACE color (even if that means your head and body don't match) i think you should go with it (use that foundation that matches your face) and use bronzer and whatnot to make your face look little darker (so it matches your body)
smiles.gif

xtiffineyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicygirl
that's such a bummer!! &&you were so super excited as well. =[ i dont want anyone to attack me but i have had a lot of experience with MAs not really listening to what i wanted. like i have gone in and asked the MA to match me before and just like you, it is not good results. i always think it is just in my head but when five people in a row comment that you look different and you say "in a good way?" and they quickly respond, "well...just different!" you know it's not just in your head. don't let it put you off though. i find that when i do tons of research online and then go in with my selection narrowed down to two, i get better results. also the more you get to know the ma, the better. &&go super early!! like when they first open!! always better because they are less stressed out.

Thank you!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's felt this way. I have been doing a lot of research so I'm not going in completely clueless about everything, but I still feel a bit intimidated by the MA's, ya know? I feel like they're going to look at me weird when I go in and ask for an NC25. But this time I'm going to go in with my face makeup done so they can see how i like to wear it. I went in plain faced today, so that could have been another problem
th_dunno.gif

BeautyPsycho

Don't worry, even if they do look at you in a weird sort of way, they still have to give you what you need. Once, I wanted to get matched for studio finish concealer, but MA suggested that it's too heavy for me and that I should try select cover up (which I already had)... however, I wanted studio finish so I just told her that... and she did what I asked her to do. MA is there not to bully you into buying something, but to help you. I mean, she can suggest something else (dif. color or product) but if you want something and express yourself, you will get what you want.

xtiffineyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyPsycho
Don't worry, even if they do look at you in a weird sort of way, they still have to give you what you need. Once, I wanted to get matched for studio finish concealer, but MA suggested that it's too heavy for me and that I should try select cover up (which I already had)... however, I wanted studio finish so I just told her that... and she did what I asked her to do. MA is there not to bully you into buying something, but to help you. I mean, she can suggest something else (dif. color or product) but if you want something and express yourself, you will get what you want.

Thanks! I was going through my pictures on my myspace looking at my makeup to make sure that I'm not crazy and that it actually looks good. I was doubting my blending/matching abilities for a moment! lol! I looked up some girls FOTD's who wears NC25, and they're skin looks much closer to what my skin looks like with my makeup so I'm feelin' pretty good that it'll be what I want to be satisfied.

I know they're not there to bully me, my MA was soooo nice and sweet and gorgeous. I was just feeling gross and insecure anyways from not having my acne covered up when I went into the mall, I was just feeling really unconfident at the moment so I was willing to go along with whatever she said lol.

Thanks girlies for your replies! You guys have made me feel much better!
thmbup.gif

xtiffineyx

Quote:
Omg, if that's you in your avatar your shouldn't feel insecure at all because you are so gorgeus!
smiles.gif

Yes it's me. Thank you so much, you just made me feel wonderful
th_DANCE.gif

Actually though, I have really bad acne on my chin and it makes me feel horrible, because it's constantly broke out. And I was shopping for pants this evening and that alone made me feel like poopy. I left the stores feeling like a big fat fatty. lol.

BeautyPsycho

You sure shouldn't feel that way. You are gorgeous. But I know what you mean, I was checking out my cellulite in the mirror tonight and... let's just say I wasn't smiling lol
Maybe your foundation or concealer are breaking you out?

xtiffineyx

Quote:
You sure shouldn't feel that way. You are gorgeous. But I know what you mean, I was checking out my cellulite in the mirror tonight and... let's just say I wasn't smiling lol
Maybe your foundation or concealer are breaking you out?

I don't know. I've literally tried everything. The rest of the skin on my face is a-ok, but my chin is always breaking out. I really think its stress, because I stay stressed out all the time. And then of course, I break out because of period, and it takes them forever to heal and go away and I'm left with a big dark mark. It's just so annoying. It's like it'll clear up really good for a week or so, then BAM! Breakout city! lol. It's just weird that I only break out on one spot of my face.

Those dressing room mirrors are the devil! I literally hate shopping for clothes because I always leave feeling like crap!

stacylynne

I think we were all once wrongly color matched. It takes some time to get the exact color.

I have friends that tan but do not tan their face @ all & they will get darker foundation & add a lot of bronzer.

If the foundation is lighter than your skintone. Exchange it. I would go there during the day & ask a MA to color match you. Go outside in natural light with a mirror & see which color is best for you.
I wear a NC27. MA's would constintly try to tell me i'm a NW25-30. I tell tem to come outside with me & they see the color in natural light.

The lighting in the dept. stores are horrible. That's why i'm telling you to get color matched & then go outside in the natural light w/ a mirror.

You can always add bronzer to match the rest of your body. I do agree though. when the foundation is wrong everything else is off.

Good luck xoxox

kaexbabey

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtiffineyx
I was afraid people would just think I was being too picky.

not at all! come on, it's your face, the first thing people are gonna see when they see you. of course you want it to be as close to perfect as it can be!

i would suggest going to another MA as well. one who'll really listen to what you want and need and take his or her time with you. i've had an experience like that at a clinique counter, except she gave me a shade that was too dark. she swiped it, and it was dark and i could still see it so i asked for the next shade up. and she said, "what, LIGHTER?!" and i said yeah. and it seemed ok in the store, but when i got home it was STILL too dark. so imagine if i took the one she gave me in the first place. i returned that and got me some studio fix. i feel scared about branching into other brands of foundation now because i'm so used to MAC's coloring system =/

SparklingWaves

Foundation and powder are areas that I am really picky, because it is the canvas. It has to match. I have tested out so many lines and had so many different experiences.

Yes, I too had a makeup artist mismatch my skin as NC instead of NW. It does make a big difference. And, I looked ghastly as well. I gave up M.A.C. foundations entirely for years, because I assumed they looked awful on me. When my favorite shade of foundation was discontinued by high-end brand, I felt that I was on Mission Impossible.

I went back to M.A.C. and played with the colors on myself. I did not realize there was such a thing as NW15. I purchased it. I have been very satisfied ever since.

I am so glad you realized it was the wrong shade. So many folks don't realize they are wearing the wrong shade.

I am sorry you have to make a second trip. Next time, play with many colors in both NC and NW until you are really satisfied with your perfect match.

melliquor

We have all been there... I still sometimes get wrongly colour matched. Don't let it discourage you on Mac. You should go in and see somebody else and have them help you and like you said... go in with your face already done and show them how you want to look and explain to them that you want to start using mac foundation.

Good luck.

xxsgtigressxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicygirl

Im sorry you had a bad experience, but it is really hard for us working at the counters to color match sometimes. The lights throw everything off, and usually people get washed out under the lights so its very likely that we match people with a too dark foundation. She may have been overcompensating for this fact, although she should have listened better. It does get hard sometimes working there for hours and getting really busy. I get all sorts of customers asking for color matches and it gets difficult because it all comes down to preference. For example, a woman came in and asked me to match her. I did, and then she wanted darker because she said she liked the way darker makeup made her look tan. In my head Im thinking, its going to look "muddy" on her, and I told her that a few times. I did end up selling her the darker foundation because it was her preference, but then she returned it and said her friends thought it was too dark on her. I literally told her that so many times!! So i think the girl was a bit rude but at the same time we get all sorts of people with different preferences and maybe she honestly thought the nc15 looked better on you...not her desicion, but still. Also working at a cosmetic counter is HECTIC. so that may be why she was rushing you along and not taking the time you deserved.
smiles.gif
I hope that helps you not be turned off by the mac counter! xoxo

Simply Elegant

I would go back and just exchange what you want and before you buy anything I'd test three shades going from the edge of my face down to my neck just to see which ones blends in the best for you and with 3 swatches to look at, I'm sure you'll have found a right match.

About the breakouts, if it's just on your chin, it could be hormonal since those are the type to end up on your chin. BC or a different type if you're already on it might help.

xtiffineyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Elegant
I would go back and just exchange what you want and before you buy anything I'd test three shades going from the edge of my face down to my neck just to see which ones blends in the best for you and with 3 swatches to look at, I'm sure you'll have found a right match.

About the breakouts, if it's just on your chin, it could be hormonal since those are the type to end up on your chin. BC or a different type if you're already on it might help.

Thanks so much girlies! Since she swapped both the NC15 & NC20 on and I wasn't pleased with those 2, so I'm pretty sure (& hopeful) I'll be satisfied with NC25. =) I think anything beyond that would be way too dark for me.

I'm currently taking Ortho-Tricyclen-Lo because I get it free from my health department. I don't have insurance so thats where I go for my paps & my BC. I don't really have any other option other than that
thmbdn.gif
I'd like to take Yaz since I heard that it clears a lot of peoples skin up, but I simply can't afford it every month.

cre8_yourself

awww thats a bummer for your first visit.. but just follow the advice of what everyone has said.. but I've experienced it too and Im a makeup artist.. and it could be because the counter is busy at the time and they just want the sale.. I've found that when it wasn't busy I always get the all star treatment lol. they sit me down and often try things you dont ask for because they have the time.. but next time do NOT go to the same MUA lol.. she's evil for sending u out like that