Feel like Crying...A Proud Cry

benzito_714

This day is so profound for me as it marks the anniversary of the brutal killing of Emmet Till, the "I Have a Dream Speech" and now the first black man accepting a nomination for presidency. My husband and I were joking about how this makes us want to cry but honestly it does. As a Black woman the past injustices have been ingrained in my being but this day has taken those injustices and made them a strong foundation for change and empowerment. Now my daughter will know a new America and for that a new world. It is amazing that through all the pain there is really a hope and not just Obama but the willingness of Americans to progress. I do for the first time feel proud to be an American (aside from watching the Olympics or after 9/11). This is truly being proud as America is marching forward in ensuring that America holds true to its promise to all Americans (as written in the Constitution, Declaration of Independence and any of the other founding documents).

I understand that Obama has not taken office yet and his views still need to be tested and fully understood but I am confident that he is a positive change.

I also commend John McCain's ad congratulating Obama and speaking briefly of the importance of this day in African American history as well as American history. I want to call everyone I know and talk about it-I have never been this into politics.

smh28

I am a caucasian canadian and so I do not, of course, profess to have any true understanding of how much today must mean to you and your family but just wanted to offer a friendly virtual hug to you in support...from one Specktra woman to another
smiles.gif

NicksWifey

Oh man, Emmet Till
ssad.gif
That's weird that you would bring this up, I was just thinking about him a few days ago and trying to remember when I had first started reading about the horrible thing that happened to him. It was a few years ago that I became familiar with the whole story, but it's just so ironic that you would mention it now since he was in my thoughts recently.

kimmy

honestly, i really wish people wouldn't put so much on colour, for better or for worse.

PMBG83

Im right with ya girl when I heard Obama (as well as the others especially Michelle,love her!) I felt so fricken proud as an african American woman I couldnt explain it. Its finally our chance I believe and seeing how most ethnic people in this country will never see a president that looks like them, just wow! Either way its total history as this IS the/our first black candiate ever in the history of our country. Im right there with you Benzito!

lafemmenoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
honestly, i really wish people wouldn't put so much on colour, for better or for worse.

May I ask why? Respectfully of course.
yes.gif
Some people really get tense about colour issues albeit good or bad, but does the same go for achievements or barriers broken or crossed by women, disabled (i.e. blind, wheelchair, hearing impaired, etc.) who break a barrier of some sort? I don't mean that it's bandwagoning but any group, person, race, religion or underrepresented person(s) who accomplish something that has NEVER been done should be proud or no?

benzito_714

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafemmenoir
May I ask why? Respectfully of course.
yes.gif
Some people really get tense about colour issues albeit good or bad, but does the same go for achievements or barriers broken or crossed by women, disabled (i.e. blind, wheelchair, hearing impaired, etc.) who break a barrier of some sort? I don't mean that it's bandwagoning but any group, person, race, religion or underrepresented person(s) who accomplish something that has NEVER been done should be proud or no?

my thoughts exactly, would i be wrong in saying that i am just as proud to see women's suffrage being celebrated by the many seats women hold in government or Hillary Clinton's dynamic run for the White House as I am America embracing an African-American presidential hopeful? I am proud to be Black and to look at all that we as a race have overcome-this is not to say that I am not just as proud (if not more) to be a woman nor is to say that i cannot be proud of another group of persons-no matter race, gender, religion, etc. on their accomplishments (i feel just as moved by scenes of the Berlin Wall coming down).Color, gender, disability, sexuality, etc. will always be hotbeds of discussion-if we were in a perfect world maybe it wouldn't be such an issue.

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy

I wish I could thank you twice for this statement.
yes.gif

laperle

I understand your pride because I felt the same when the current brazilian president, a former metallurgical workman was finally elected. It was a sign of change and hope for the best.

The hard part is to keep this spirit awake inside everyone, 'cos a government isn't made of one man only.

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzito_714
Color, gender, disability, sexuality, etc. will always be hotbeds of discussion-if we were in a perfect world maybe it wouldn't be such an issue.

These things only become issues because some make them issues. Get my point? Why did it constantly have to be pointed out by the media that there was a black man and a white woman running for President. I could have cared less about their gender, race or any of the other titles that go along with both. Skin color and gender should'nt hold so much value.

laperle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvs Queen
These things only become issues because some make them issues. Get my point? Why did it constantly have to be pointed out by the media that there was a black man and a white woman running for President. I could have cared less about their gender, race or any of the other titles that go along with both. Skin color and gender should'nt hold so much value.

I agree, but unfortunatelly, it does, especially in the US.

The african-american people - not only in the US, but the whole continent - were brought to the Americas against their will, to be slaves and weren't considered human, and for that treated like animals. Every country has its history and how the things were handled.

I do believe these things shouldn't carry so much weight, but many things still have to change in the world to reach a reasonable point.

AdlersMommy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperle
I agree, but unfortunatelly, it does, especially in the US.

The african-american people - not only in the US, but the whole continent - were brought to the Americas against their will, to be slaves and weren't considered human, and for that treated like animals. Every country has its history and how the things were handled.

I do believe these things shouldn't carry so much weight, but many things still have to change in the world to reach a reasonable point.

They were slaves in their own countries too, a lot of the time, when they were taken to america. Just didnt know if you knew that or not.

I feel good for everyone of color that they can be happy about a black presidential candidate... however I have to agree with the posters who are saying they wish so much emphasis wasn't put on race..

I come from they most rascist town in america (per david letterman's top 10- haha. I DOUBT very much if it's the most rascist down- its mostly my grandparents generation... who knows)... and I cant even tell people of color where Im from originally because i am automatically labled as "rascist".. I could care LESS if someone is black, white, brown, purple, yellow, green... whatever. It makes NO difference to me. I feel like there is just way too much emphasis put on race especially considering I am constantly being assumed as a rascist because of where i live- its annoying. I honestly dont know anyone my age that im friends with who CARES about race.... and i just feel like if it weren't MADE an issue most of the time- then it wouldnt be one. I think as a nation we'd be able to focus on content of character and not color of skin as MLK Jr. would say... no matter WHAT the color of the skin is.

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdlersMommy22
.... and i just feel like if it weren't MADE an issue most of the time- then it wouldnt be one.

Thank you. I agree.

lafemmenoir

But the op did NOT state that so evidently it's something YOU are reading about. So if the first woman became president, the first hearing impaired...it should be the "first person" correct? That would make you feel better? Can't underrepresented subcultures be proud anymore? She said nothing about slavery. But the minute someone does it's something blacks are supposed to get over am I right?

lafemmenoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdlersMommy22
They were slaves in their own countries too, a lot of the time, when they were taken to america. Just didnt know if you knew that or not.

I feel good for everyone of color that they can be happy about a black presidential candidate... however I have to agree with the posters who are saying they wish so much emphasis wasn't put on race..

I come from they most rascist town in america (per david letterman's top 10- haha. I DOUBT very much if it's the most rascist down- its mostly my grandparents generation... who knows)... and I cant even tell people of color where Im from originally because i am automatically labled as "rascist".. I could care LESS if someone is black, white, brown, purple, yellow, green... whatever. It makes NO difference to me. I feel like there is just way too much emphasis put on race especially considering I am constantly being assumed as a rascist because of where i live- its annoying. I honestly dont know anyone my age that im friends with who CARES about race.... and i just feel like if it weren't MADE an issue most of the time- then it wouldnt be one. I think as a nation we'd be able to focus on content of character and not color of skin as MLK Jr. would say... no matter WHAT the color of the skin is.

This is the part the OP was discussing, I don't know where you live and can't help that you are seen as racist. I would not know that had you not stated it. Sometimes it's nice to feel happy for someone, something or whatever. I am straight, but I love that Ellen married her long time girlfriend. Should I not put emphasis on the fact she was given the right to marry? I guess not? BUT if these things didn't matter, they wouldn't be making historic references.
yes.gif

M.A.C. head.

There's a lot of ignorance going on in this thread.

Race is and will always be and issue for this country because of its past. That's just how it is. Wishing that people would "leave color out of it" or saying that "if no one brought it up it wouldn't be an issue" is just blind.

As long as there is racism, race will be a topic of discussion.

To the OP:

Great post, very moving for me and my family as well.

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafemmenoir
She said nothing about slavery. But the minute someone does it's something blacks are supposed to get over am I right?

Neither did I.

Corvs Queen

I feel that for their to be a brighter future a lot of the past needs to be just that. The past. And I am talking the past of ALL colors. The past of many races were suppressed and many nationalities has discrimination and hate in their history. Did you know that Roma women are sterilized in the Czech Republic because they are not seen as equals? Call me ignorant if it makes you feel better but just so you know, my ancestors were discriminated against too. Do I feel intitled? No. Do I go on and on and on about my color, my gender, my religion, etc? No. I believe that to make a change for the better, we need to progress from our pasts. I am not saying forget about it but learn tolerance and discretion. Pick your battles. I chose these words carefully so if you want to be offended you will be.

SMMY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvs Queen
I feel that for their to be a brighter future a lot of the past needs to be just that. The past. And I am talking the past of ALL colors. The past of many races were suppressed and many nationalities has discrimination and hate in their history. Did you know that Roma women are sterilized in the Czech Republic because they are not seen as equals? Call me ignorant if it makes you feel better but just so you know, my ancestors were discriminated against too. Do I feel intitled? No. Do I go on and on and on about my color, my gender, my religion, etc? No. I believe that to make a change for the better, we need to progress from our pasts. I am not saying forget about it but learn tolerance and discretion. Pick your battles. I chose these words carefully so if you want to be offended you will be.

Race unfortunately still plays a part in America. Lots of progress has been made, but over here, its not a colorblind society yet. Good for you if you have overcome and don't have issues with your past. But many people over here today still feel the impact of racism. It isn't in the past yet, over here. I certainly don't want to rain on someone else's parade because of a historical moment in an American society - a woman candidate and an African American candidate that both had an amazing run for the president of the United States and received millions of votes. It is a benchmark for progress in this country. As someone who is old enough to remember the civil rights movement and the struggle for equality for women, I think this current election is an amazing point in history and people who have been impacted by racism or an sort of discrimination in their life have every right to rejoice. I mean, really, what harm does it do you to let people feel good about this?

signed me - a fifty-one year old white female who still thinks this has been an awe-inspiring campaign season so far.