Feel like Crying...A Proud Cry

kimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMBG83
No thats true every race has faced tribulations true. In our community were already seperated its usually black community white community and so on...But for us as a people that doenst bring tenison to us it brings pride to our community to see an african american male in his postion.

that's fair. pride can often be misinterpreted though, for example...white pride. if i said i was proud to be white, would that make me racist? i'm not trying to offend with that, i'm just trying to make a point so i apologize if that's being taken the wrong way.

i think the difference in views on this issue probably come largely from a difference in personal backgrounds which none of us can ever change, and that's fine. i just want to know why his race is being made into such a big deal is all.

M.A.C. head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvs Queen
I feel that for their to be a brighter future a lot of the past needs to be just that. The past. And I am talking the past of ALL colors. The past of many races were suppressed and many nationalities has discrimination and hate in their history. Did you know that Roma women are sterilized in the Czech Republic because they are not seen as equals? Call me ignorant if it makes you feel better but just so you know, my ancestors were discriminated against too. Do I feel intitled? No. Do I go on and on and on about my color, my gender, my religion, etc? No. I believe that to make a change for the better, we need to progress from our pasts. I am not saying forget about it but learn tolerance and discretion. Pick your battles. I chose these words carefully so if you want to be offended you will be.

The past is meant to be a part of the PRESENT so that we can be mindful about THE FUTURE.

I'm sorry that your ancestors were discriminated against, I really am, it's horrible; but I live in America. If Roman women were sterilized in America, we most definitely would STILL be talking about it to remember those who suffered, and to make sure that nothing like it ever happens again. How is being happy about seeing a change in the face of politics being intolerant? Hmmm? How is remembering something painful being intolerant? What BATTLE are you referring to?

Calling you ignorant doesn't make me feel better at all, ignorance is sad.

Ignorance is also a choice. Telling people not to remember what happened to people that matter to them in the past and telling them not to celebrate and/or commemorate their history is ignorant. It is what it is.

PMBG83

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmy
that's fair. pride can often be misinterpreted though, for example...white pride. if i said i was proud to be white, would that make me racist? i'm not trying to offend with that, i'm just trying to make a point so i apologize if that's being taken the wrong way.

i think the difference in views on this issue probably come largely from a difference in personal backgrounds which none of us can ever change, and that's fine. i just want to know why his race is being made into such a big deal is all.

Its cool. Me personally if you said that I really wouldnt pay that much attention to it. But again from our country's past you may be looked at in that way, but me personally I wouldnt go off and call you a racists. I didnt or dont call other races of people who assume I listen to rap music or my hair is weave racists either. Exactly... you got it! Its a difference in backgrounds the reason why alot of black ppl feel happy about obama, and being apart of this particular culture there is no question needing to be asked by the people of my culture "why" his race is being made a big deal. We automatically get why it is(due to our background) and thats the simpliest answer I can give.

M.A.C. head.

Quote:

Another thing, why is that Obama is labeled African American? To the best of my knowledge, he is American. Period. He was born in America so he's American. That would be like me saying I am Scots-American. I don't get to check that when I am asked my race on legal forms. I get to check "Caucasian".

Do you see how you know that you would be labeled "Scots-American"?

African Americans are called such because any trace of where we're actually from has been demolished for the most part, unless they are generational Africans who live in America.

Obama is labeled African American because he is a man of African decent who was born and lives in America. Simple.

benzito_714

this is not a battle between who faced the most oppression, who can be considered racist, or how we feel the world should be (ideally) nor is it a place where i expected people to 'just be tense'.
as far as entitlement who once in this thread said obama was entitled to the presidency because he's a black man? or better yet any minority being entitled because of their past? this is completely ridiculous. i'm not even sure why entitlement is being discussed-that's for another thread.

for my clarification-is the issue of obama's race (and it being a big deal) from this thread or media outlets?

Corv's Queen-why are you expecting judgement because you are a white woman from the south. you are now making race an issue. i can respect your opinion without saying 'oh she's white that's why she said that'.

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzito_714

Corv's Queen-why are you expecting judgement because you are a white woman from the south. you are now making race an issue. i can respect your opinion without saying 'oh she's white that's why she said that'.

Reference this please:
Originally Posted by Corvs Queen View Post

Lots of people assume that if you are from the south, you are racist. That's simply not true and I made a tongue in cheek response to clarify that I am American.

Tongue-in-cheek is a term used to refer to humor in which a statement, or an entire fictional work, is not meant to be taken seriously, but its lack of seriousness is subtle.

And I said this because I wanted to clarify that I am not Austrian but American.

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.C. head.
The past is meant to be a part of the PRESENT so that we can be mindful about THE FUTURE.

I agree to a certain extent. But when your beliefs are your beliefs because they were your mother's and her mother's and her mother's mother's then exactly how does that make for a better future? Progression is key and if things are done like they've always been done then nothing will change.

Quote:
I'm sorry that your ancestors were discriminated against, I really am, it's horrible; but I live in America. If Roman women were sterilized in America, we most definitely would STILL be talking about it to remember those who suffered, and to make sure that nothing like it ever happens again.

Roma women. Not Roman. And again, I lived in America for the first 21 years of my life so I am completely and totally familiarized with America and how it operates.

Quote:
Ignorance is also a choice. Telling people not to remember what happened to people that matter to them in the past and telling them not to celebrate and/or commemorate their history is ignorant. It is what it is.

I never told anyone not to remember what happened to them. Just use some discresion when the topic of race is brought up. Not everything has to be so black or white because in the main scheme of things we are all human. No matter where we are on this earth or where we originated from. No matter the hardships that our ancestors faced or the intolerance that was passed on from generation to generation. People are people.

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Obama is labeled African American because he is a man of African decent who was born and lives in America. Simple.

And by this logic I am of Scots-Irish, Seminole, Cherokee, German decent who was born in America who now lives in Austria. That would make me a Scots-Irish-Seminole-Cherokee-German-Austrian-American.

benzito_714

Quote:
I just want to clarify that I am NOT Austrian. I am a White American Female from the Southern State of North Carolina. I am sure that some of you will smile while reading that but for the most part I know that I will be judged. Whatever.

I chose to reference this as I have read both your posts regarding where you come from. It is in this quote that you assumed that we (those commenting on this thread) would judge you. Although you say your post was tongue-in-cheek that is not how i read it and i felt it important to let you know that this thread's intention was not for judgement.

benzito_714

Quote:
And by this logic I am of Scots-Irish, Seminole, Cherokee, German decent who was born in America who now lives in Austria. That would make me a Scots-Irish-Seminole-Cherokee-German-Austrian-American.

exactly and it would be up to you to either explain that when someone asks 'what's your nationality?' or when you have a survey/questionnaire that asks your race check other and explain or do as i do and don't check anything.

Corvs Queen

^^If I tried to check "Other" I would be the loony Caucasian lady who's being difficult. Sadly, for most "Other" isn't an option and "Caucasian" isn't all that I am. If I were to check "Other", this answer would not be acceptable thus making my legal form or whatever void.

PMBG83

Quote:
Lots of people assume that if you are from the south, you are racist. That's simply not true and I made a tongue in cheek response to clarify that I am American.

Another thing, why is that Obama is labeled African American? To the best of my knowledge, he is American. Period. He was born in America so he's American. That would be like me saying I am Scots-American. I don't get to check that when I am asked my race on legal forms. I get to check "Caucasian".

And like I said before, with my comments if you are looking to be offended then most likely you will be. It's all how you read them. Tone/Non-tone and all.

No I lived in the south for a decade and my parents are from there(deep south TN and MS) so no I dont think that automatically warrants you a racist. Youre right he is American but there are also periods(when/where legal forms arent involved) where we just arent seen as simply Americans, and in Obamas case he is and I am an African American.

PMBG83

If I went into a store looking for just american hair care products, that wouldnt cut it. I have to ask "Where are your african american skin and hair care products.

laperle

Issues appart, in my country, someone is only called Afro-brazilian if he/she has an African and a Brazilian parent.

If both the parents are Brazilian, the person is Brazilian, period.

IMO, Obama is an American, but yes, it's VERY refreshing to have him as a candidate. The US presidential election affects the World, so we all care who's gonna be elected.

Corvs Queen

It's very refreshing to have a candidate that I feel genuinely wants a change. Not a title and a great paycheck. And it does affect the whole World. The world is watching and I sincerely hope that there is change in America. Lord knows it's long overdue.

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMBG83
No I lived in the south for a decade and my parents are from there(deep south TN and MS) so no I dont think that automatically warrants you a racist. Youre right he is American but there are also periods(when/where legal forms arent involved) where we just arent seen as simply Americans, and in Obamas case he is and I am an African American.

Glad to see you got my point.

PMBG83

Quote:
Originally Posted by laperle
Issues appart, in my country, someone is only called Afro-brazilian if he/she has an African and a Brazilian parent.

If both the parents are Brazilian, the person is Brazilian, period.

IMO, Obama is an American, but yes, it's VERY refreshing to have him as a candidate. The US presidential election affects the World, so we all care who's gonna be elected.

Yes I read an article on that particular subject a long time ago. Also read an excerpt by miri ben ari(sp?) that there isnt any black white label in her country although skintone/haircolor was discussed at times. Elsewhere "labels" seem close to non existient.

PMBG83

Quote:
Glad to see you got my point.

No problem. I understood what you were asking, and that is the reason why hes looked at as such.

missworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzito_714
I do for the first time feel proud to be an American (aside from watching the Olympics or after 9/11).

I wish I could thank you more than once...!
thmbup.gif

There should be no debate over the contents of your post, as you siad even McCain was positive!

Watching Obama's speech made me feel hope and not just for America!

Missworld (NC-15)

lafemmenoir

Why couldn't this have stayed positive? If it offends you to realize there are so many different ethnicities, avoid posts/threads etc that deal with it. I DO accept people who are happy for white pride or date white only etc. I don't care about who checks what box, I don't make those forms. I acknowledged the OPs sentiment. I think it's pants to bring someone down for being happy about something that history said would not happen just like advancement for women, etc. I'm about being positive for ALL. I can't say it's historic for McCain because he has achieved something that has been done. We have to accept their are some things where colour is an issue. I can't use the same shades of makeup as a blonde fair skin blue eyed woman, but should I ignore that? If you think it's bad, be the change you want to see and tell the media outlets to stop bringing colour into it, tell product manufacturers and all other outlets that bring colour into play. I don't see why it brings you angst that someone else can feel pride whether it be race, gender, sexual orientation, age or weight.