For the makeup addicts- How did your friends and family react?

Romina1

Unfortunately I don't have any friends to share my love for cosmetics. Neither my mom who is just to the basic products and doesn't understand why I have to spend that much and why do I need 3-4 different pink lipsticks although I rarely wear pink. My collction is by no means big like others' that I ve seen here, but I love it and keep it growing. My boyfriend cannot understand either but he doesn't care much. The poor thing is my young brother, we live together, he is the first to see my hauls and I talk to him and analyze and describes what each product does
flower.gif
He pays me back talking about football and video games...

JennsJewelz

My family is sort of on the fence - they are grateful that I can help them and they think that I have some "talent", but they can't understand the need for so many different products and spending so much money (although I budget everything very carefully, and I collect as gradually as possible). My boyfriend is a little more understanding - he knows it's an artistic outlet for me and understands that it is important to me, but the size of my collection (which is small, for Specktra standards!! :p) overwhelms him and he often wishes I wouldn't wear makeup at all, although he likes everything that I do.

My girlfriends are the ones who really have an appreciation for my love of makeup - while there are very few of them who are as interested as I am or who collect as much as I do, they love to come over for makeovers, to ask for product/colour recommendations or to go on MAC or Sephora shopping trips together. I'm very lucky in that I've never had anyone be very negative about it or be rude, but there are definitely some people who think I'm a little crazy sometimes!!

ittybittylizzy

This is a great thread :) and fun to read. My hubby doesnt think much of it, but of course doesnt understand completely why I need soooo much make-up. Honestly he is right
blush-anim-cl.gif
. The one I worry about is my daughter. I dont want her to think she needs all this make-up and not to mention, pricey make-up at that. Thats part of being a female right? We NEED pretty things :p. Shopping for new things is fun.

crisymua

Hi all. If I am not mistaken I am the only one in my family obsessed (thats what they call it) with make-up. For me its more than just make-up, its a passion and way for me to express myself. Definitely a way to expressive creativity. My friends are totally supportive. They are my biggest fans, letting me practice and build my skills on their faces. Always encouraging me to take my skills to the next level, make it more than a hobby, a career. My fiance is another story. LOL. He hates when I buy new things. I say nothing to him when he buys what he wants. I have to hide my packages because he makes me feel so quilty. I am working on him.
blah.gif
Its refreshing to know that there are other like-minded people.

Marissa56

Well, i guess im the only one out of all my family & friends that love Make-up. My friends are amazed at how much makeup i have and definitely dont understand why i have so many blushes, lipsticks...brushes, etc, but they do love the fact that i did go to make-up school and they ask me if i can do their make-up. My family on the other hand dont understand why i spend so much money on make- up.

whatzoedid

I have no friends, who sadly, aren't as obsessed with make-up as I am. Luckily my family understand my need to spend as much as I do on MAC, my boyfriend doesn't understand so much why its so expensive! I can't wait to start my course this September (I'm going to be training to become a Make-Up Artist) to meet some more people like me!

hue22

My friends say stuff like "OMG are you someone with an entire desk of makeup *makes 3 feet wide air-desk*?!" So I can't really rave about a product with them. =/ My parents don't understand but they laugh it off. My fiance listens to my makeup buying journey and because that's sometimes all I'd talk about, he's picked up makeup terminology and will willingly walk with me into MAC and help pick out an eyeshadow or lipstick. I think his mentality is "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!" when it comes to my obsession haha But to balance things, I actively follow sports like hockey and football.

sereagoso

I too am pretty much the only one out of my friends and family that loves makeup as much as I do. I have no friends to obsess about makeup with! My family doesn't understand why I spend so much money on makeup and my boyfriend doesn't either. They think I'm crazy! I just look at it as a hobby and a way to express myself creatively :) Plus I love the feeling I get when friends & family ask to have their makeup done and they walk away loving it

Suzich

Well, at first, I did look on it as a hobby, but in last 5 months it become to me a more than just a hobby - an art, and maybe an asside job! I`ve been doing make up for photo sessions on models.
It is so inspirative and challenging, I can create so many different looks, on many different faces, depends on what vision I have, and it comes to me when I see one girl`s face - she reminds me for instance on some actress or on other famous person, or sth similar. My boyfriend is a photographer so he understands how important make up is for what we are doing, and for me, but of course he doesn` t really understand my raves about some specific brands and products, why is this certain brush so special or why is some palette a must have :D. And I`m totally obsessed with brushes, but I guess this is fetish that I have since my early childhood LOL, because I adored to paint and loved all those fluffy brushes.

My mum has been a make up addict from her teenage, she was eyeliner addict especially :D, since in late 60-ies and early 70-ies liner was the most important part of one girl`s make up. She taught me even how to use it :D.

As concerns my friends - it depends, with some of them I can have conversation about make up, one of my girlfriends is even a MAC addict, but many of them don`t have a clue about quality make up and drug store products as Max Factor and Nivea are top of the pops for them, they even haven`t never heard for MAC, Too faced, Stila or Benefit. But, since they all know now for my little art, they often ask me to do their make up, and there`s nothing better in this world than to see their "improved ":D, happy and smiled faces, because "this is actually pretty good!!! wow, it`s a new meeee!!and you`re good at it!";) , priceless!!!

danyasi

Hello! This is my first post on the forum :) And I am glad there is a thread about this! My makeup addiction started back in 2009, thanks to YouTube and back then I wasn't too involved with it, I did like makeup but not as much as I do now. At the beggining my family thought I was going through a phase, but they were all wrong lol. I've been building up my collection and my family don't seem to get why I like collecting makeup, specially my mother, she always gives me a hard time telling me I shouldn't spend that much money on makeup or that I should even wear that much makeup because it's going to be bad for my skin, etc. With the time I learned to ignore those comments from her and the rest of my family.
I don't think there's going to be anyone who is going to understant why I am so into makeup, because no one around me is into this...but well thanks God for communities like this one where everyone understands us. :D

SweetMom528

I dont have a huge collection but it is enough to make my hubby say I am crazy and I have TOO MUCH! lol but yet when I dont wear makeup and stay home, he will make comments. Men, cant make them happy 110% lol

thatssojessy

My mother thinks its crazy and she acknowledges that she will never understand my obsession, but she thinks it's cool when I come up with new looks. My friends think that it's pretty cool and I have one friend that understands makeup collecting lol. Now mind you, my collection isn't stupid big, but it's funny when family are like "Don't you have enough", I just look at them like they have 2 heads.

jessbullock

I feel for you gals. My mum is a natural beauty, so she never understood why I wore 'so much' makeup or kept adding to my collection. She has just started to wear makeup, so it's nice when she asks me for my opinion on certain products. I was super flattered when my sister in law asked me to do her makeup for her wedding (she looked sooo beautiful, but I did have a great canvas to work with). She caught the makeup bug and did quite a bit of shopping to beat her pregnancy blahs. She's got a collection now that I'm jealous of and we swap stuff. It's pretty cool that we can get girly and squal over things like little girls :)
My hubby comes from an artistic family, so I really lucked out. He is very understanding of why certain brushes are so 'awesome' or why I have to rave about the pigmentation in an eyeshadow.
I love that this forum is here for all the great info, too! I've only been on a little while and there's sooo many threads I need to read through!

Jess

shadowaddict

Quote:
I feel for you gals. My mum is a natural beauty, so she never understood why I wore 'so much' makeup or kept adding to my collection. She has just started to wear makeup, so it's nice when she asks me for my opinion on certain products. I was super flattered when my sister in law asked me to do her makeup for her wedding (she looked sooo beautiful, but I did have a great canvas to work with). She caught the makeup bug and did quite a bit of shopping to beat her pregnancy blahs. She's got a collection now that I'm jealous of and we swap stuff. It's pretty cool that we can get girly and squal over things like little girls :)
My hubby comes from an artistic family, so I really lucked out. He is very understanding of why certain brushes are so 'awesome' or why I have to rave about the pigmentation in an eyeshadow.
I love that this forum is here for all the great info, too! I've only been on a little while and there's sooo many threads I need to read through!

Jess

Yes you did luck out as my hubby is an engineer and comes from a family of engineers and accountants. He so does not get it and it makes it worse that his mother and sister do not do anything to enhance their looks, no makeup or color their hair, which is just there no real style to it. I told him long ago I love my makeup and if you think I'm shallow or vain, oh well I sure caught your eye didn't I? His mother and sister are very nice people but he better not ever expect me to become a plain jane. And now going on 24 yrs of marriage he wonders why I spend more on my looks than I used to. I tell him as I get older it just costs more for my upkeep. I have to buy more skincare products and get my hair colored more often and so on.

mayflower

I'm so happy I finally signed up here and can talk to like-minded people!
My mom and mother-in-law are both into "basic" makeup. They don't quite understand why I'd like to have different powders for different finishes or more than one colour of blush. I guess they just found what they liked and what worked for them and basically stopped looking from there :) They're also more into high-end brands, so I get to try some stuff from time to time which I would've never gotten for myself (anytime my mom visits, I steal her chanel blush).
My fiancé is really supportive, thank god. We're in a bit of a rough patch right now, trying to save up to move, but he still listens patiently when I explain to him what things I want and what they'd be good for, and why my purchases totally make sense even when it gets a little more than I intended :D He loves to watch me put on my make-up and lets me put some on him occasionally.

I just love that I can be the one learning something here and not explaining it to everyone!

kRiola

I totally understand you. my name is Aracy by the way. no-one understands why i like makeup so much, it's frustrating. But i'm happy to see that there are other people like me, here and in youtube.

take care :)

ra143

so I see most of us have to struggle with our mothers. My mom hates it whenever I mention make-up. She gets mad If she sees me with a new nail colour or with a new make-up look.To her this is a complete waste of money and time. Not only she does not understand it but she resents me for it. I actually have to carefully pack my babies and hide them, I am afraid of she gets mad at one point she will throw them out or damage them, God forbid!!! Sh has even threatend to kick me out a few times if I dont stop "this madness". I dont have an insane collection, I tried to resort to swapping and really realy hide items when I buy. I want to start doing makeup on the side, perhaps if I turn it into a sort of a income I will b able to justify the "obsession".

naturallyfab

My parents aren't mad at me for loving makeup, but it's obvious that they don't understand why I like it so much. It's become sort of a family joke (in a loving way), which I find hilarious. Yet when I point out what they collect, they get all defensive and angry
hmm.gif
gotta love family

zewzeq

I've been a makeup lover since i was 13 but I never spent insane money on it until a few years ago. (I'm now 32) My mom likes makeup but only has a few stuff she uses regularly. She doesn't understand why i have so many blushes, eyeshadows etc. I work with my aunt and she says i'm crazy everytime a package full of makeup arrives at my office. My husband doesn't say much but is quite unhappy as i can't save any money. I spend all the remaining money from my paycheck on makeup. But, i don't care, makeup makes me happy. We earn money to spend it afterall. :)

mercurysmile

I recently started getting into makeup so I have a very modest collection. My friends and family don't understand my sudden interest since my style very casual and quite low maintenance. I stumbled across a youtube video and saw how my appearance could benefit with just a little effort.

Even though they don't understand they aren't against it in anyway. They were nice enough to put up with my rants about the price of cosmetics considering their ingredients. My bf who tolerates it the most was pretty receptive. He doesn't understand a lot of the hype, price, and colors. He was nice enough to get me the urban decay naked palette because even though I don't generally talk about makeup to him he knew I've been wanting one for a very long time. I partly think he's okay with it because it doesn't have any purple or blue, for some reason when he talks about "people who look crazy with makeup on" he always says purple eyeshadow or mentions Mimi from The Drew Carey Show. So I make it a point to ask him if I look crazy if I do a more intense look, he always says I look great (even when I incorporate purple on my eyes!). He also said I could have way worse vices then makeup since it's way cheaper then his electronics and gadgets addiction.

Latest posts