For those who are working... Do you get a bonus?

redambition

at my old place of work, only certain departments were entitled to bonuses, and it was directly measured against sales/billable time/new customer numbers.

at my current work, everyone is eligible to receive a bonus, however it is contingent on the company meeting it's financial goals, and your own individual performance throughout the year.

n_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissChievous
Yep, I get a 13. month salary...it's pretty standard in many companies in Switzerland though.

Thats freakin awesome...wish I lived in Switzerland. That must really come in handy during the Holidays.

n_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien21xx
I get a 13th month pay but it's given on contract renewal. Mine is every October, so by now, I've already spent most of it on frivolous pursuits.
greengrin.gif

We also have a dinner & dance party annually and there's an open bar, raffle, expensive hotel food, etc. An all-over evening affair though you can still come dressed casually. I've gone to 2 so far and won in the raffle for both! Last year, I got a 32" LCD Samsung TV. This year, I got an iPod Touch (because our company is cutting costs boohoo!) I guess I have a lucky touch in office raffles!
smiles.gif

Lucky you.

fingie

At my job (bartender) this year we're getting gift certificates to the mall (probably $50 or $100)--good thing we have a Macy*s so I can get my MAC on!
smiles.gif

SingFrAbsoltion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corv's Queen
Yeah but all in all I'd say Europe has it's shit together more than America when it comes to employees. When you work in America you're treated like property and here in Europe you actually have more rights than your employer. America is in the stone age.

That's so true
ssad.gif

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Yeah but all in all I'd say Europe has it's shit together more than America when it comes to employees. When you work in America you're treated like property and here in Europe you actually have more rights than your employer. America is in the stone age.

I've never experienced this.. but if you say so.

I got a bonus, It wasn't much ,a few hundred dollars (in a Christmas card) and a really nice dinner with all the employees a week before Christmas. I also get things like.. socks with animals on them, and some other random "Generic' Gift.

n_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK

I got a bonus, It wasn't much ,a few hundred dollars (in a Christmas card) and a really nice dinner with all the employees a week before Christmas. I also get things like.. socks with animals on them, and some other random "Generic' Gift.

Now that's nice...i bet you didnt have to host the party either.

JGmac

No, but my fiance's company hosted a Christmas party. It included dinner, an open bar (beer), and they paid for us to stay in a hotel room that night (it was 90 miles away from home).

I thought it was very generous of them!

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_c
Now that's nice...i bet you didnt have to host the party either.

no, it was at some restaurant in town. I didn't even have to drive myself! haha.
Its a non-profit too, I was really..really surprised.

tiramisu

^^open bar=worth it!! :)

I stopped working this past year to attend law school full time--
and I used to work for the government -for the previous nine years, so NO bonuses for us (don't ever want to piss off a taxpayer!!).
So I'd just be happy to get a damn turkey from someone or something at this point LOL
My honey says that he can hear the "money sucking" sound whenever I am near...because school is so ridiculously expensive. Veeeerry funny of him, seeing as I will soon be earning much more income than he does. Hehehe!!

Point is, if you get any sort of a bonus nowadays, be thankful!!

n_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiramisu
^^open bar=worth it!! :)

I stopped working this past year to attend law school full time--
and I used to work for the government -for the previous nine years, so NO bonuses for us (don't ever want to piss off a taxpayer!!).
So I'd just be happy to get a damn turkey from someone or something at this point LOL
My honey says that he can hear the "money sucking" sound whenever I am near...because school is so ridiculously expensive. Veeeerry funny of him, seeing as I will soon be earning much more income than he does. Hehehe!!

Point is, if you get any sort of a bonus nowadays, be thankful!!

Absolutely! The open bar will compensate me having to host. I just felt like I could go and relax, instead Im having to worry about being available if the bosses may need something, if you could understand that.

Trunkmonkey

We get a bonus based on material shipped at the mid point of the year and at the end of the year. It's not a gold mine but it's a nice little bump.

Best end of year bonus I got was (no kidding) 20K. Sadly the telecommunications bust put an end to that.

Willa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkmonkey
We get a bonus based on material shipped at the mid point of the year and at the end of the year. It's not a gold mine but it's a nice little bump.

Best end of year bonus I got was (no kidding) 20K. Sadly the telecommunications bust put an end to that.

Wow!!!
Thats a lot

When I think of bonus, I just can't help myself thinking about the Chevy Chase movie where he waits for his bonus
lol.gif

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxAxC-_ATTACK

When I was working back home that's exactly how it was. I was even expected at all three jobs I had to do things outside of my job description such as make deliveries and paint the office.
thmbdn.gif

red

Quote:

Perception is not always reality my friend
winks.gif

A bonus is a discretionary thing, given out based on performance, mostly in the private sector. I'm totally against unions (as an example), as I see them as hindering a company's growth and ability to hire and fire employees that don't work as well as others. I don't see ourselves as been in the stone age, far from it -- we have a fairly low unemployment rate, this is good for America, people are working and not dependent on government hand-outs. That's the mentality, create an environment where people can easily find work, so they'll be self-reliant. If we were in the stone age there wouldn't be so many people knocking on our doors to come to this country, what do you think?
I welcome your opinion.

Dizzy

I get a bonus along with "holiday pay" (time and a half) for working the extended hours the store has during the holiday season. But it's all included in my paycheck so I get taxed on it. Still makes for a nice check, but I wish they would do the cash in envelope way they used to.

Quote:
America is in the stone age.

I quite like being a caveman, thankyouverymuch.
smiles.gif

BeautyPsycho

Corv's Queen is right... in Europe you also get real vacation time (not 3 days, but few weeks/months depending on how long you work), a lot of time off after you have a baby (and it's paid, too). So, yeah...

Corvs Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautyPsycho
Corv's Queen is right... in Europe you also get real vacation time (not 3 days, but few weeks/months depending on how long you work), a lot of time off after you have a baby (and it's paid, too). So, yeah...

Thank you!!!

And before anymore of you start flaming me for my opinion keep in mind that I am AMERICAN. My comments were not just pulled out of my ass. I can back them up with my past experiences.