Forum Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

janelovesyou

My biggest pet peeve is that on Specktra and typically other beauty forums is when members refer to me as "hun", "babe", "sweetie" etc...
Like "Hey hun, I saw your sale thread...". I just don't understand why we're calling other adults who may or may not be older then us these cutesy pet names. I don't like when people do it in real life, and I certainly don't like it over the internet. Not only do I find it rude and condescending but I get a fake cutesy sense. And I hate cutesy especially fake cutesy.

I also can't handle when people type the first letter of every word in caps. Like This Is What They Would Do. I don't even see how that's possible to do, like sit there and make sure every single word has a capital letter lol

burnitdown_x

I have two pet peeves. One is when you post a thread asking for a recommendation, and then another poster posts in your thread asking for random advice that pertains solely to themselves. It's like... thanks for ignoring the original poster. My second pet peeve is when you post a thread asking a question and the first person answers your question, but then five more people say the same exact thing that was said the first time.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelovesyou
I also can't handle when people type the first letter of every word in caps. Like This Is What They Would Do. I don't even see how that's possible to do, like sit there and make sure every single word has a capital letter lol

It's a feature that's on the site to prevent people from typing in all caps.
When someone posts in all caps, the site will automatically reconfigure the post to have only the first letter capitalized.

k.a.t

^ Oh wow i feel so dumb i didn't even know that, i actually thought people took the time out to make every first letter big lool

star25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDivine
something I need to clarify.....the giving/receiving thanks thing didn't bother me too much until I read this thread and realised that some people consider themselves worthy to be thanked but to up themselves to thank.....

On that note....are there people on the forum who do not have the ability to thank others? In that, this function is technically disabled when they are reading posts on the forum???

Because I'm trying to understand how else someone can have received 7,000 thanks but given none?

I don't have that option.
As far as I know it's supposed to be in the bottom right hand corner (I've actually done a search on this) but all I have are the Reply w/ Quote, Multi-quote and Quick Reply.

So that's my reason for not having thanked anyone, and it could be other peoples' as well. Otherwise I have no problem having to click a simple button to express my gratitude.
yes.gif

SparklingMissy

What really grind my gears *lol* is when you post a sale/swap and someone asks for a different price so you consider it and choose to be nice that day and knock a good $2-$3 dollars off something that was already priced really low and then they disappear. WTH people! Just say no thank you.....

th_dunno.gif

CantAffordMAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziajs
???? LOL

LOL omg, I was trying to see if the computer would change my all caps. But then I was trying to edit my post to put one of my pet peeves on there, and my computer closed the window on me...

so all u guys saw was Noooo, ahahaha
th_LMAO.gif

HOTasFCUK

^I just realized this the other day when i tried to bump my sales thread and i wrote bump in all caps but when it was posted, i noticed that it was no longer in caps! I thought that was weird LOL----okay i just put all caps for that lol........force of habit!!

I'm getting annoyed lately when i see posts asking when is this product coming back or i'm dying for this to be re-released. Two that i had answered to had been re-released from MAC this year already! If you actually checked the colour stories or ran a simple search, you would've found that!!!

Yes, i do understand that its newer members asking but when in doubt, search first so we don't have a million posts about the same damn product!!! I always use the search function first!

SexyVixenSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by star25
As far as I know it's supposed to be in the bottom right hand corner (I've actually done a search on this) but all I have are the Reply w/ Quote, Multi-quote and Quick Reply.

So that's my reason for not having thanked anyone, and it could be other peoples' as well. Otherwise I have no problem having to click a simple button to express my gratitude.
yes.gif

It used to be that thanking someone for their post or giving them kudos was done thru rep points. At least thats how it is on several other forums. Dont know if the rep thing was ever a thing here.
Doesnt matter though, either way it can turn into a popularity contest thing and people rep/thank as much as they can for certain people.

jasminbarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmer
I would hope that we're not suggesting a system where no score is kept, no grades are registered, no positive incentive to contributors made, etc. is preferable.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not suggesting it, Shimmer - I was merely querying why the system is visible to everyone else if the intention is to steer it away from being a popularity contest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
I just don't see Specktra as the kind of board where that matters, honestly. I just see it (the thanks) as a nice option for those who want to use it.

Not directed at you jasminbarley, just my general thoughts on the topic:

As Shimmer mentioned, the volume and type of posting that a user does makes a difference as to how many times they may be thanked. Users shouldn't feel obligated to maintain a "resonable range" between their thanks and thanked numbers. They shouldn't even think about it.

I really see "Thanks" as a non-issue. They are there. If you are so moved, thank someone. That's a nice gesture on your part. If you do not feel a thanks is due, don't thank and don't worry about it.

To be honest, I don't disagree with any part of your post, MAC_Whore.
yes.gif

In particular, I think that you make a very valid point about maintaining a 'reasonable range'. On the one hand, for those who are peeved by disproportionate ratios, it's our/their problem and there's not a lot that can be done other than to just move on. On the other hand, it may seem contradictory to my stance but, I agree that people shouldn't get wound up into trying to maintain a 'reasonable range', particularly since there's nothing in the rules that states that they must do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by star25

yes.gif

Thanks for mentioning this, star25.
smiles.gif

I didn't know that this situation was possible. I know that reputation can be switched off in our control panel/options, but I assumed that was to prevent people from thanking you rather than you thanking other people.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminbarley
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not suggesting it, Shimmer - I was merely querying why the system is visible to everyone else if the intention is to steer it away from being a popularity contest.

To be honest, I don't disagree with any part of your post, MAC_Whore.
yes.gif

In particular, I think that you make a very valid point about maintaining a 'reasonable range'. On the one hand, for those who are peeved by disproportionate ratios, it's our/their problem and there's not a lot that can be done other than to just move on. On the other hand, it may seem contradictory to my stance but, I agree that people shouldn't get wound up into trying to maintain a 'reasonable range', particularly since there's nothing in the rules that states that they must do so.

Thanks for mentioning this, star25.
smiles.gif

I didn't know that this situation was possible. I know that reputation can be switched off in our control panel/options, but I assumed that was to prevent people from thanking you rather than you thanking other people.

I honestly never knew people got so wound up over green dots. :/

elegant-one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminbarley

On the one hand, for those who are peeved by disproportionate ratios, it's our/their problem and there's not a lot that can be done other than to just move on. On the other hand, it may seem contradictory to my stance but, I agree that people shouldn't get wound up into trying to maintain a 'reasonable range', particularly since there's nothing in the rules that states that they must do so.

ohthedrama4vi.gif
Really, people actually waste energy caring about that?
nope.gif
Wow, I'm so glad I have a life
th_dunno.gif

jasminbarley

Quote:

Again, can't speak for anyone else but IMHO, being peeved or irked is not the same as being wound up.
th_dunno.gif

I'm interested enough in the discussion to participate, but it doesn't mean that I'm seething at my keyboard and typing with a raised heart rate and a red face. Nor am I having trouble sleeping at night because of disproportionate thanks:thanked ratios.
tong.gif

Don't know about anyone else though...
greengrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegant-one
ohthedrama4vi.gif
Really, people actually waste energy caring about that?
nope.gif
Wow, I'm so glad I have a life
th_dunno.gif

To be honest, I don't find the insinuation that I don't 'have a life', helpful or constructive. We all have lives, we just choose to live them differently. Just because your life is different from mine and you 'care' about different things, doesn't mean that you have a life and I don't. Having read a number of your posts, particularly in the Collections threads where you are such an enabler, I'm a little surprised at your response.

If you disagree with any of the points I've made, perhaps you'd like to put forward some points for discussion. Otherwise, if you don't like my posts and don't want to read them, you could always put me on ignore, then you won't be tempted to throw back sarcastic and dismissive posts that could potentially incite a flame war.

SMMY

Quote:

I used to mod at another forum. Trust me, some people will actually lose it over dots. We had red (negative rep.) as well as green (positive rep.) dots. Wanna start a flame war? Just start giving people red dots. They.would.lose.their.mind!

aziajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMMY
I used to mod at another forum. Trust me, some people will actually lose it over dots. We had red (negative rep.) as well as green (positive rep.) dots. Wanna start a flame war? Just start giving people red dots. They.would.lose.their.mind!

LOL.....I can see that!

jasminbarley

Having had another think about it, I've come to the conclusion that there may be some confusion between reputation level (green dots) and the thanks:thanked ratio. Yes, the two are related, but high reputation levels do not irk or annoy me and have never done so. Apologies, if I did not make that clear to those who thought otherwise.

The sole reason I bought up the reputation levels was due to their visibility and the statements that it wasn't a popularity contest. However, I've since discovered that each user can turn off the visibility of their reputation levels (green dots and who thanked them recently as well as number of reputation points in their profile). So, to me, the issue of visibility is now a non-issue. Besides, I've never had any strong feelings about whether or not it is a popularity contest.

To reiterate my first post in this thread, I agreed with a previous poster/posters that one of my pet peeves was that some users have a disproportionate thanks:thanked ratio. However, as far as I'm concerned, MAC_Whore has addressed this in her last post.

Finally, I'd just like to point out that pet peeves are just that, IMHO. They're just little things that cause us minor annoyance. Some pet peeves may seem illogical to some people and therefore not everyone is going to agree about them.

For example, someone might be irked when their colleagues don't wish them, "Good morning," when they arrive for work. Others might just shrug it off and just assume that perhaps their colleagues are having a bad day. There's probably no company rule that states that everyone must say, "Good morning," but it doesn't mean that it doesn't annoy someone when someone else doesn't do it. It might wind up that person for the rest of the day and they can't shake it off, or it might cross their mind for a split second and then it's gone again. Some people might even hold onto it for a bit longer and it interferes with how they interact with their colleagues. The possibilities are endless!
th_dunno.gif

Personally, I'm glad that this thread is about 'forum pet peeves' rather than 'forum pet hates'. The latter would probably open up an even larger can of worms, IMHO.

burnitdown_x

Come to think of it, pet peeves or not, all of this seems like indirect attacks. I'm saying this because of some of the posts I've read seemed to be... like 'if you do any of these then you're a complete idiot'. Let me end by saying that I know this post doesn't mean any harm but I'm just expressing my thoughts.

rbella

^^^Agreed. A lot of these "peeves" seem like a way for people to vent their frustrations about certain individual posters. I don't think that was the intention of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.