Forum Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

NutMeg

Online etiquette can be difficult at times, but are there particular things that happen on forums that get on your nerves?

Something that really annoys me is when someone goes digging through old threads, finds one that hasn't been posted on for over a year and then posts on the original topic expecting the OP to reply. I'm not talking about threads that don't "expire" like "name your five favourite MAC lipsticks" for example, but the threads about a problem with the boss, or a situation with one's boyfriend that have clearly been long since resolved. All I'm asking is that you check the date on the original post, or even the most recent one.

Anyone else? And keep it nice.
greengrin.gif

lipstickandhate

I dislike when differing points of view arise in a thread and people try to get mods to close the thread b/c they're offended. I also hate when they try to get everyone to "agree to disagree" so they don't have to restrain themselves from reading things they disagree with and continuing to comment.

Additionally, I don't understand when people take things really, really personally on an Internet message board and accuse others of having nefarious stereotyped views about X,Y, or Z.

CantAffordMAC

Something that annoys me is:
I'll ask a question that somewhat relates to the original topic (but not big enough to start a new topic for) and nobody answers it. Sometimes I'll re-ask a question that someone else asked, and nobody answers it. Its like everyone ignores the fact that you even posted. But then when you start a new topic to ask a question, they tell you that the topic already exists (back in 2005) and to do a search.
th_dunno.gif

Another thing that bothers me: Thanks. When I start a topic, whether its about my personal life or just about something dumb, I try to thank the people who respond. I used to thank everyone, then I realized that that wasn't exactly practical. I still give my thanks when I appreciate what someone said or when they've took time out to help me, etc. When I reply to someone's topic, I might not really have much to say except for "i'm sorry that happened" or "well if I was in that situation, I would have ________" And then 20 people post underneath me and most of them get thanked for their comments, except for me. Its not really a big deal to me who gives me thanks, its more like...childish? Like, wow what a way to point out that you didn't give two shits about what I posted than to thank every other poster except me. LoL. I'm not here to tell anyone who to thank or the rules of thanking, lol....sometimes the whole idea of it can just get childish though. In my opinion. If you guys get what I mean.
graucho.gif

MxAxC-_ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstickandhate
I dislike when differing points of view arise in a thread and people try to get mods to close the thread b/c they're offended. I also hate when they try to get everyone to "agree to disagree" so they don't have to restrain themselves from reading things they disagree with and continuing to comment.

Additionally, I don't understand when people take things really, really personally on an Internet message board and accuse others of having nefarious stereotyped views about X,Y, or Z.

Everything I would have said! Couldn't have put it any better myself.

I also can't stand hypocrites.

I won't go any further, as I will get myself in trouble.

blazeno.8

Orthographic mistakes which could have easily been avoided. Especially that horrid " C U L8er" kind of stuff. Common mistakes like "separate" as "seperate" don't really bother me though.

jennifer.

this is pretty generic and insignificant considering it's not just a board specific problem, but misspellings of things that have been typed out millions of times on here correctly. what can i say, i'm a spelling freak (and have been since i was a kid).

the three biggest ones? lose, concealer, and a lot. lose does not = loose, concealer only has one 'o' and a lot is two words.

it's dumb but just a minor annoyance.
greengrin.gif

wolfsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer.
a lot is two words.
greengrin.gif

Im guilty of this sometimes, even though I know it's 2 words! Im actually surprised that the English language hasn't added this shortening yet (albeit is my favourite mushed up word
yes.gif
).

*Separate - sep A RAT e*

I would like to add to this spelling list:
Words that end in 'ing' having an 'e' where no 'e' should be. Either you're horribly lazy, or you need to go back to primary school.

wolfsong

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeno.8
Orthographic mistakes which could have easily been avoided. Especially that horrid " C U L8er" kind of stuff. Common mistakes like "separate" as "seperate" don't really bother me though.

I can never bloody understand 'text speak'! Also adding 'z' on the end of words, especially if it was meant to be a 's' isnt clever IMO - it's a sign you have spent too long on teenage/gamer message boards. That gets my goat every time!

aziajs

I can't stand the bickering. I am definitely one of the people who encourages the agree to disagree idea. You can't convince anyone with an opposing point when they are just as strong in their conviction as you are. You just end up going back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth back and forth and it's not neccesary. Once you've made your point leave the shit alone. I can see commenting once or twice more so that you can eloborate or correct any misinterpretations but other than that just stop.

Ohhh...and this bugs the hell out of me. I hate when someone is so busy picking apart someone's post and commenting on everything they have said that they miss the overall point the person was trying to make.

j_absinthe

I don't mind 1337 speak, as long as the person speaking it is using it to be ironic and not because they're an idiot.

What really annoys me, and I see it alot here, is when people post replies to a thread or even a thread itself, when the same question or thread is 2 spots above or below the very thing you just posted. Is it really that hard to use the search function? I know that threads get busy and sometimes it's hard to drudge through 15 pages of conversation to get an answer to your query, but if it's on the same damn page, you have no excuse!

lvgz

spelling.. well some people just cant spell, so that doesnt really bother me too much. i correct my friends online but on a forum, what can you do, right? minor mistakes are alright, but i dont like it when people dont spell correctly on purpose.

the whole typing in all caps except for i's or just in all caps, period, bothers me. WHY DO PEOPLE NEED TO TYPE LiKE THiS THROUGHOUT THEiR WHOLE POST? seriously. haha undo the caps lock, please!

MiCHiE

Jesus....I have a friend who sends me messages on MySpace LiKE ThAt aLL ThE tIMe (you would not believe how long it took me to do that!). I hate that shit---and she is 30 years old, mind you. It gets to the point where I almost question myself because my typing's "normal".

Forum assholes and shit-stirrers work my last nerves. There's one everywhere and you almost want to tell them to log off, get a drink and a stiff one. It's the internet. You don't have balls in real life, don't try to grow them here.

labellavita7

I love looking at the Challenges forum. I hate when there is such a good idea for a challenge, but nobody does it and I get sad, and then get even more sad because I don't have the talent to actually do a fun challenge. lol

Hilly

This may be weird...but I don't like it when people don't give thanks when it has been deserved. haha ok ill shut up now
winks.gif

SingFrAbsoltion

People who type like they are 9
People who type like they are 9 and don't contribute anything to the discussion, like replying "l0lz hehe idk" to the OP
Immature people
Overly religious people who try to convince you that you'll go to hell because you don't agree with them.
Trolls

AppleDiva

One of my online forums pet peeves is when ppl have babies or children as their avatars. Gives me the creeps. I think children deserve privacy.

My #1 pet peeve is when someone has 0 thanks, but hundreds and thousands of thanked. What is up with that?

MiCHiE

You mean the stingy Thankers? The ones who don't hit the 'Thanks' but, respond with a, "Thanks, guys!".

Oh, and I thanked you! Now thank me back. J/K!

Status
Not open for further replies.